Hardware How come Gameboy Micros are so rare and wanted so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTGS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm taking mine for granted but I know I got a Gameboy Micro from a friend for free and it's in a real good condition (Except the Faceplate of course)

I went out and bought a GB SP since I wanted a bigger screen from gamestop but now I'm starting to regret this purchase (I don't think Gamestop will let me refund) and I would have rather just continued using my Micro. I still have it btw.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rare: Because it was a bit of a flop; People didn't think it was any better then the GBASP at the time.

Wanted so much: The screen is supposedly great, and the brightness was something else for it's time. Also collector's item.

I really want one, but I can never find a cheap one. :/

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
here are extremely rare and hard to find
i got the mine almost a year ago and don´t regret for paying the extra buck for it XD
the only insure is the scratch of the faceplate

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
Rare: Because it was a bit of a flop; People didn't think it was any better then the GBASP at the time.

Nah, that's not why at all.

They were released at the very end of the GBAs life just as the DS was coming out.

The DS simply overshadowed it. Why buy a new GBA when the DS had the same screen and could play both DS and GBA games?

Reactions: cearp

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
I always thought they were stupid. Extremely tiny and you couldn't play GB or GBC games on them (which I still play often).

Flash cart... Goomba Color... 'nuff said.

I don't really get the appeal either, though, it's not like an SP or even a DSlite are such pigs that you can't take them w/ you.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I bought mine as it was very "pocketable", i stuck an EZflash IV in it with a bunch of games, and put that in my coat pocket. Whenever i was stuck in a line (which used to happen alot at the post ofice etc) or i was just stuck out somewhere and was bored I would play some GBA games on the micro
happy.gif

However now it just sits in a drawer i'm sad to say, as my phone (xperia play) is more than adequate for the same situations and can play all the same games and more, and it's a device i would have on me at all times, so no more needing to remember to charge the micro.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As far as expensive goes, I'd have to disagree.

IMG_0916.jpg

While as a collector, the special editions are a little pricey, the regular ones are very reasonable.

They've neither gone up nor down in value since their final price slash and production was stopped.

They were being sold off for $50AUD at retail stores and that's still the price you can expect to pick them up for second hand on eBay here.

whyyes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zidapi said:
As far as expensive goes, I'd have to disagree.

IMG_0916.jpg

While as a collector, the special editions are a little pricey, the regular ones are very reasonable.

They've neither gone up nor down in value since their final price slash and production was stopped.

They were being sold off for $50AUD at retail stores and that's still the price you can expect to pick them up for second hand on eBay here.
So you're saying you'd want to pay retail price for a second hand item >.>
Sorry, I'll stick with GameStop for this one.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's rare because no one wanted one and it didn't last very long. They released it after the GBA era right in the DS Era, great idea right?
People want it because it's rare and didn't last very long.
EDIT: Also I own one myself, they are a nice little thing to have and work quite nicely.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the micro would have done better if it had the full functionality of a regular GBA.

They are rare because they are out of production. They are wanted because they are a Nintendo product and many loyal Nintendo fans collect anything and everything Nintendo.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm on the lookout for one too, they definitely are RARE. I only found 1 GB Micro 2 days back but didn't buy it because it was a second hand and apparently scratched and all. I like my Nintendo or any product to be in perfect mint condition when I buy i.e. fresh stock. So I'll just continue my search from here onwards.

xyanide1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm having no trouble at all finding these in my country, parents and kids outgrowing them sell them regularly here. I picked a green one up last week for about $40 including shipping and some forgettable games.

Why they're "rare" and wanted now? I guess gamers have recognised the great build quality of these tiny little things (I think a console in anodised aluminium is pretty unique). Even if the GBA library of must-play titles isn't that large the micro does offer if at its best original quality, and good luck finding an SP with a backlit screen. Micros have been collector's items for a while now, because they're cute and sturdy and colorful. I don't think they're so wanted just because they're supposed to be rare, but that seems to depend on where you live.

The reason micro did badly, DS almost instantly after?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
The reason micro did badly, DS almost instantly after?
Over here they were too expensive; the Micro (£70) came out after the DS (£90), so the DS was a far more sensible investment. They only got cult-popular when places started selling them off cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/sg0D1PpgCXs?si=rnzM6Df7jeL6FiPz