Homebrew How can I play some MAME games on DS?

hammerhead13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for an MAME Emu to Play Xmen, Knights of the Round, AVP, The Simpsons, Captain Commando on my DS. I know there is a Neo Geo EMu that I have used for NG Games, is there one to play these? Thanks!

Meatbrain

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately no. Arcade games are just too powerful
frown.gif

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
To say "Arcade games are just too powerful" makes no sense. It's like saying "Console games are just too powerful." For one, the games don't really have power in any sense of the word, but more importantly, arcade machines, like consoles, vary in their specifications. Some arcade machines, like the Neo Geo, can be emulated on the DS, and some, like say the CPS-3, or let's go nuts, the Triforce, can't. Plenty of machines probably could be emulated on the DS, as shown by MarcaDS, which supports quite a few different machines.

X-Men might be possible to emulate on the DS, but it's a stretch. It ran on a 68000 at 16MHz (the Neo Geo ran at 12MHz on the same processor). Maybe with no sound and still (much) below full speed, probably not worth it. Same goes for AVP and Marvel vs. Capcom, those were both on the CPS-2; possible, but not practical or enjoyable.

Are you aware that Knights of the Round and Captain Commando had SNES versions? You might want to try them out in SNEmulDS, I can't vouch for how well they'll work, but give it a shot. That said, a CPS-1 emulator (which is what KotR and CC ran on) would probably be pretty workable on the DS; it had a 68000 ranging from 8MHz up to 11 (not sure what they were clocked at for these particular games), which even leaves room for sound; a 3.6MHz Z80 should be pretty manageable, games which used just the YM2151 might work out OK.

Just looking at the Wikipedia article on The Simpsons, it looks like it would be extremely workable on the DS, except for using Konami's own custom processor, which nobody (especially DS developers) really has that much experience with. If someone worked up a core for that, which only runs at 3MHz, there'd probably be plenty of room for at least one (the YM2151 again), probably both sound chips.

After all this though, there's still the resolution to worry about. Quick glance, the CPS-1 outputs at 384*224; that is, it's as wide as both DS screens put together when you turn it sideways. The height you can probably fudge, but losing 128 pixels of horizontal action is going to hurt.

DukeDizko

Trophies
XP
Country
Hm, ok, but let's go back way more in time...what about Robocop (1) or Pac-Land? I mean The Simpsons-arcade would be tooo lovely...Wasn't there a Mame-Emu for the DS? Or am I mixing that up with Wii?

Meatbrain

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
^^ The same can be said of the usual conventions "sunset" or "sunrise". The sun doesn't move: the earth does, but it's still more conventional to use the said terms, and not many people bother to criticize you for doing so.

Also I would expect you to know the difference between emulation and porting. The MarcaDS you referenced looks to me like a compilation of MAME games that were ported, but I can't be sure since I don't speak French...

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meatbrain said:
^^ The same can be said of the usual conventions "sunset" or "sunrise". The sun doesn't move: the earth does, but it's still more conventional to use the said terms, and not many people bother to criticize you for doing so.

Also I would expect you to know the difference between emulation and porting. The MarcaDS you referenced looks to me like a compilation of MAME games that were ported, but I can't be sure since I don't speak French...

I'm pretty sure MarcaDS is an emulator, not a collection of ports. You have to have the rom files for it to work correctly, unless I'm horribly mistaken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro