Gaming How can I make my printer scan?

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Try... holding Reset down for a minute. Or scour the internets for the reset combo. If not, new cartridges may be neccessary. Or a new printer.
EDIT: internet sez:
QUOTE said:
Don't think it's possible to reset the ink levels for Canon MP240 but i found a way to allow your printer to bypass the annoying level warning and continue printing.
If your black ink light keeps blinking and prevents your printer from printing, on your printer machine, press and hold the "Black" button together with the "Stop/Reset" button for a few seconds. Then your display will show a refresh icon thingy and you should be able to print. It just worked for me. The light is still gonna be blinking though but i've learnt to ignore that. As long as the damn printer is still printing, i'm happy. Lol!
EDIT: AGH! I just noticed this was posted a week ago. Sorry for digging it up. You did post a link on your Art topic though.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
He never got an answer, so don't worry about the thread being old. I didn't even see it when it came up.

Some print carts are duds (even official ones). Check that the contacts are clean (on the cart and the printer) and try another one. I had a rather embaressing person to work with who had printer troubles and it turned out 2 print carts (one official, one refilled) were duds and the third one (refill) worked. In the end I told her to take the duds back to the shop and ask for either a refund or replacement.

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canon is very much pile when it comes to these things, if something is not right in the system, the printer is on lock down. My recomendation, is recycle it, and get an HP, or I personally like my Kodak, but at this point, you are boned when it comes to this printer.

You may also be able to check the contacts, as Originality pointed out, take some rubbing alcohol, and cotton swap, moisten the cotton swab, and clean the contacts both on the cartridge, and, if you have access to it, the contacts on the printer itself, I don't know how well that will fix it, but it doesn't hurt to try.

You may also be able to get something from Canon, in terms of free/discounted repair/and/or/new printer.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
This oddly sounds like exactly what's happened to our current Inkjet (a quite old HP 1350PSC) it no longer recognises any ink cartridges. Always sees them as empty.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I run into this far too often. Sometimes there's a setting in the printer's program (on your PC) that lets you tell it to ignore ink levels, but it's often doesn't have one, and the decision to not do anything without ink is in the program ROM... and of course these are often "self-cleaning" ones, which use up ink to clean themselves after everything you do, so even if you're not printing a lot they make sure you have to go get new carts every so often.

Did I mention modern carts have a chip in them to measure the ink level, and it will only count down... so if you refill it with ink with a home kit, it still will think the cart's empty (or going down) unless you buy a chip reprogrammer from ebay or something?

Modern printers like that are pretty much scams in a bot.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
caster62003 said:
You may also be able to check the contacts, as Originality pointed out, take some rubbing alcohol, and cotton swap, moisten the cotton swab, and clean the contacts both on the cartridge, and, if you have access to it, the contacts on the printer itself, I don't know how well that will fix it, but it doesn't hurt to try.
I tried that like 10 times...
The printer monitor shows 3... 1... 4 and blinks the c indicator...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Scanner should work regardless of the ink level

On XP: Control Panel/Cameras and Scanners
Not sure about Vista/7, I'll check later.

Ink Level is resetted by pressing the RESET button for 5 seconds after refilling the cartridge. It is also recommended to use a custom cartridge rather than the standard Canon one. If the read out will be incorrect regardless of the reset, you can cover up the chip pins on the cart with insulation tape to isolate the ink level chip. Not sure which, check it up online (via cartridge serial, not the printer serial).

If the above doesn't work, re-install your drivers, there's clearly something else "wrong".

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm stumped by this too. I haven't bothered to add ink cartridges to my printer in ages because I very rarely need to print and it wasn't worth the expense since they're wasting away from the moment you break the seal. It's much cheaper to run it over to my local library down the street.

But that's never affected the scanning function. If it were me, I would uninstall it completely: remove whatever proprietary software the company expects you to use, and delete the drivers through device manager so they're completely gone.

Next I would reinstall the device outside of whatever installation came on the disk. The drivers are likely located on it under a subdirectory, or else may be extracted from a .msi file or wherever. If you can locate drivers _only_ for the device online then all the better, but they're rarely distributed apart from the software.

When you plug the device and Windows inquires about it, manually install those by browsing to them. Windows should be able to operate with it normally as a printing device, and you can scan with it through anything supporting TWAIN (in my case Paintshop Pro. Photoshop works too. Even Windows has some basic fax & scan software that will do it)

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
@ Foxi4 & dib:
I'll try to uninstall the drivers.

EDIT:
canonshit.png

RESET BUTTON IS NOT HELPING, NEITHER UNINSTALLING THE DRIVERS, PLEASE HELP.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well I currently have the same problem with my aio hp printer. I tried everything to recognize the cartridges but no use but I managed to make it scan by going to device and printers in my pc and choosing the printer and pressing scan now try it might work.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
The_Dragons_Master_F said:
Well I currently have the same problem with my aio hp printer. I tried everything to recognize the cartridges but no use but I managed to make it scan by going to device and printers in my pc and choosing the printer and pressing scan now try it might work.
Didn't work for me
frown.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you're certain that the drivers are correct, the cartridge itself isn't damaged, the connectors on the cartridge/printer aren't dirty, the USB/COM cable is not damaged (just try a different one) and the cartridge is a compatible type, your printer may simply be broken.

Besides, the scanning feature should work even when it's not connected to the PC altogether using the buttons on your printer.

Take it to the local PC service, they'll check it for ya.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Foxi4 said:
If you're certain that the drivers are correct, the cartridge itself isn't damaged, the connectors on the cartridge/printer aren't dirty, the USB/COM cable is not damaged (just try a different one) and the cartridge is a compatible type, your printer may simply be broken.

Besides, the scanning feature should work even when it's not connected to the PC altogether using the buttons on your printer.

Take it to the local PC service, they'll check it for ya.
I did, guess what those selfish motherf^ckers said?
"You need to look in the internet for answer."
Anyway, when I press the "SCAN" button nothing happens.
It just blinks the "C" indicator.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried banging on it a lot?
In all seriousness that solves my electronics problems like 9/10 times

edit: or try taking it completely apart and putting it back together, that usually works for me too

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
DeathStrudel said:

edit: or try taking it completely apart and putting it back together, that usually works for me too
Never!
I don't want to break it >.<
It really can work tho, my PS2 started fucking up, so I banged on it a lot and it started working again. Then several months later it started fucking up again and banging on it would only fix it for a few days, so I took it completely apart, cleaned everything, and put it back together and now it totally works again! Banging on and/or taking stuff apart also worked for me with a DVD player, a VCR, 2 Wiis, a DSL, and a few other things I can't think of right now. The only thing is if you take it apart, make sure its in a clean area where you wont loose things and make sure you can remember how to put it back together

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
DeathStrudel said:
AlanJohn said:
DeathStrudel said:

Never!
I don't want to break it >.<
It really can work tho, my PS2 started fucking up, so I banged on it a lot and it started working again. Then several months later it started fucking up again and banging on it would only fix it for a few days, so I took it completely apart, cleaned everything, and put it back together and now it totally works again! Banging on and/or taking stuff apart also worked for me with a DVD player, a VCR, 2 Wiis, a DSL, and a few other things I can't think of right now. The only thing is if you take it apart, make sure its in a clean area where you wont loose things and make sure you can remember how to put it back together
You are comparing electronics that have nothing to do with my printer.
And banging them is just making it worse.
Taking stuff apart is very dangerous for the first time.

evolance7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Try this:
1) Turn on the printer.
2) Press the cancel button for 2~3 minutes. This will disable the ink cartridge detection.
3) You should be able to use the printer now.

P/S: I owned MP145, this method works for me when the printer is having problems with the cartridge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...