Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
After reading many guides and setups I'm a little puzzled. :unsure:

If I got this right:
1. Install CFW with Haxchi or Mocha
2. vWii Modding
3. Install different apps (games) that enable you to do different things.

If I'm correct 1 and 2 are independent, you could only do vWii and then you can have only Wii games backup. But if you already do step 1 is the step 2 really necessary for Wii games to work?

I'm not sure about 3. step there a toon of apps that do this and that, how about keeping it simple? Let's say I just wan't Wii and Wii U games loaded from SD card, no external hard drives, no Y cables, no 500 games. Just a simple collection of some 10 games on a 128 GB SD card if possible, if not then at least on only one USB card reader with SD card.

Is this possible, what would I need?

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

If you wish to have a simple collection of games on your SD card (fat 32 recommend), you will have to hack the vwii mode of your Wii U, by following this tutorial (very good to detail) ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

And then use wiiflow or configurable loader v70, to read your wii games from the SD card. (You can put other homebrew on your SD card (Nintendont for Gamecube games and other homebrew ....)

Usb loader gx does not read games on an SD card, only on USB media.

other solutions:

an external hard drive in Wii U format, and you can put Wii, Wii U and Gamecube games on the same usb support.==> https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-community-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/

You choose

Reactions: Alexander1970

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To install both wii and wiiu games you need to do both 1 and 2. It's not difficult anyways.

I recommend using your sd card with a usb microsd card adapter. I've bought lots of these . It's usb 3.0 because it reads quicker on pc even though wiiu only supports speeds up to 2.0, usb 3.0 is backwards compatible.

I used to have @jeannotte 's setup but I got annoyed of every time when booting up my wiiu having to load in to vwii menu, then cfgloader/wiiflow and then the game. Plus using that setup you still need to use a usb device for your wiiu games unless you have them stored on your internal wiiu storage. There is a way for wiiu games on sd card but I don't recommend it. Try loading up 3D world on it and you'll realize that the loading is just too long. It's called loadiine and you could try it just to see if it works for you, though.

There are many options for the wiiu but the most hassel free and convenient is using a usb device.

Last edited by Zense,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To install both wii and wiiu games you need to do both 1 and 2. It's not difficult anyways.

I recommend using your sd card with a usb microsd card adapter. I've bought lots of these . It's usb 3.0 because it reads quicker on pc even though wiiu only supports speeds up to 2.0, usb 3.0 is backwards compatible.

I used to have @jeannotte 's setup but I got annoyed of every time when booting up my wiiu having to load in to vwii menu, then cfgloader/wiiflow and then the game. Plus using that setup you still need to use a usb device for your wiiu games unless you have them stored on your internal wiiu storage. There is a way for wiiu games on sd card but I don't recommend it. Try loading up 3D world on it and you'll realize that the loading is just too long. It's called loadiine and you could try it just to see if it works for you, though.

There are many options for the wiiu but the most hassel free and convenient is using a usb device.
I know Loadiine, I don't use it anymore (too much bug).

Everything is on my external hard drive (wii, wii u and gamecube games).

It is clear to him either vwii or Wii U mode, and it is up to him to choose.

Sincerely Jeannotte.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 & 2 are really completely independent of each other. If you do 1, you can use wuphax to install the homebrew channel for 2, but if for some reason you don't want to do 1 you can use a game exploit instead.

If you change your mind, you can always do 1 later.

I don't know if it's the most "simple", but I really prefer using desktop external hard drives with the Wii U. Best Buy pretty regularly has Western Digital drives on sale. I use two drives, one for Wii U content, and one for vWii. The Wii U side will not utilize more than 2TB of storage, and there's also a 300 title limit, so there's no reason to go overboard on storage. Using two of these drives should work well:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...-3-0-hard-drive-black/5605524.p?skuId=5605524

The point is that these drives take an external power supply, rather than getting power from the Wii U's USB ports. This means you can connect both drives to the back of the Wii U, and leave your front USB ports open for a gamecube controller adapter. Or if you're like me I just like having all of the cables in the back and not coming out the front of the console.

This gives you plenty of space for every game worth playing on Wii U (trust me there's a bunch of shovelware), plenty of space for a full, "1G1R" set of Wii games, and a large collection of Gamecube and retro emulator games. I highly recommend it!

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for all the suggestions, The first to do now is to buy Wii U :D

Will try one SD card on the USB the first objective will be Wii games for kids, then I will proceed to Wii U games. Will report back.
Please do, and don't hestitate to ask if you stumble upon any problems. Remember to follow wiiu.hacks.guide to be sure that you use the most up to date knowledge.

Last edited by Zense,

GasperG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
OK, ordered a Wii U 32GB with one additional Wii remote plus and nunchuk.

Any suggestions what additional remotes should I buy? Are the compatible Chinese remotes worth it, or should I shell out €50 for original? The first thing that I will play with the kids will be Wii Sports resort or should I skip this and get Wii U Sports Club?

I also came by this video (YouTube: Ultimate Wii U Modding Guide 2019 - Part 1) that suggest you need a remote without motion plus to work in vWii, or is this only problematic in combination with Wii Pro controller? Anyway it seems to me that not all the combinations work. Is there a quick compatibility list?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Any suggestions what additional remotes should I buy?
Aren't there two remotes included with the console?

I also came by this video (YouTube: Ultimate Wii U Modding Guide 2019 - Part 1)
Please. Don't follow a video guide. They are really quick outdated. Follow this and everything should be fine.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1. Make sure to look at the video together with the site I mentioned. We get a lot people coming here because they broke their wiius following a youtube guide.

2. I have both motion plus and normal wiimotes and never had any problems with either. Maybe I'll watch the vid and see what he means. Maybe he's refering to that attachement motionplus thing. I'd recommend getting controllers with it integrated. Not sure if there's a compatibility list around, but usually in vWii Mode the wii u pro controller(traditional controller with two analog sticks) and the wiiu gamepad(=with the screen) do not work in wii mode (some hacks exist that allow it). An exception is the application called Nintendont, which let's you play gamecube games with any controller.

3. I've played sports resort and sports club extensively. They have very different games and resort has a lot more games and things to do. I'd say club is easier to start off with since some of the resort games are a bit complex.

3. Similar great games are wii party u and Nintendo Land. Wii party u has a great mini game mode I've played many times with three friends. Spot the sneak is also lots of fun. The games are pretty easy to get for any ages. I don't know how experienced your kids are at gaming, but Nintendo Land has good games that use gyro as well. There's lots of small games and then there's the Zelda game in Nintendo Land which I've played through with a person with little experience gaming. Not sure if it's only two player or supports more players.
Lastly theres Star Fox Zero which I've wanted to try since it seems easy to pick up and play with the gyro controls. It's probably only two player though.
If you want other recommendations for games that use more traditional control schemes and that should be easy to play feel free to ask.

4. So right now you have the wii u gamepad and one wii remote plus and a nunchuck? How many people will play at the same time? Lots of games support up to four players or even five (smash bros. has 8 players actually). I'd say get another wii remote plus for wii wii sports club and resort.
For the chinese gamepad I think they should work fine as long as they look the same as the original Nintendo one. If it's for your kids to use then I'd consider it's size before buying it. Personally, I find it a bit big and I have a glove size of 8/9. My roommate who has the same size hands likes it, though.

I've been using a wiiu pro controller by Power A that is smaller since it feel I get a better grip on the shoulder buttons. The Wii Classic Controller (not the pro) is pretty small but very few wiiu games support it - There's Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and others I can't remember.

Technically using "hid to vpad", which you can find on gbatemp by searching, you can use any controller. Although offbrand ones can have problems. You could probably get those mini playstation 4 controllers.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
After reading many guides and setups I'm a little puzzled. :unsure:

If I got this right:
1. Install CFW with Haxchi or Mocha
2. vWii Modding
3. Install different apps (games) that enable you to do different things.

If I'm correct 1 and 2 are independent, you could only do vWii and then you can have only Wii games backup. But if you already do step 1 is the step 2 really necessary for Wii games to work?

I'm not sure about 3. step there a toon of apps that do this and that, how about keeping it simple? Let's say I just wan't Wii and Wii U games loaded from SD card, no external hard drives, no Y cables, no 500 games. Just a simple collection of some 10 games on a 128 GB SD card if possible, if not then at least on only one USB card reader with SD card.

Is this possible, what would I need?
I think if you use WiiVC to load Wii/GC games you don't need to do 2. But you are more limited in what you can do with WiiVC alone compared to a hacked vWii, so having both is not a bad idea.

Reactions: jeannotte

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I looked at the video and it does indeed have some problems. Still he pretty clearly states you need a wiimote without motion plus to get vWii hacked. I believe I hacked mine with a non m+ controller so I have no experience to say differently. I tried to look for any clues on this online but I did not find any clear answers. You wouldn't want to get stuck while using wuphax so I'd say order an official wiimote without m+ and then get an official motion plus adapter for it if you want to use it with games that need it, like sports resort and club.

The problem with the vid is that he links to a site (:wiiu.console.guide NOT AT ALL to be confused with wiiu.hacks.guide) that he himself says uses not up to date files and he tells you to update them yourself. Funny how that site redirects you to this random dude's own wiiu hacking site. He also says some uninformed things like how VC is not emulation for example. This is wrong. Even if it's made by Nintendo, it is still emulation.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I looked at the video and it does indeed have some problems. Still he pretty clearly states you need a wiimote without motion plus to get vWii hacked.
First, stop watching a video.
Second, the thing with wiimotion plus is totally bullshit. And has nothing to do with hacking. That's the reason why we linked a guide. I hacked my wii and vwii with normal wiimotes and with the motion stuff. DON'T FOLLOW THE VIDEO!!!

And btw, the files are uptodate because they are on github.

GasperG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I will definitely buy more controllers, but maybe later when I see what I need. What is the purpose of Nunchuk and are there any games that you can not play without it? At first I will start with Wii remotes plus, then I will see. Most of the time it will be 2 players game, sometimes 4 if that is possible. This is the main reason I'm buying a Game Consol, currently to my kid games are something you play alone on a phone.

Thank You for the games suggestions, my kids are 3 and 8 years old and kids grow really quick...

Aren't there two remotes included with the console?

Not with the Wii U, or at least what I can buy used.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I will definitely buy more controllers, but maybe later when I see what I need. What is the purpose of Nunchuk and are there any games that you can not play without it? At first I will start with Wii remotes plus, then I will see. Most of the time it will be 2 players game, sometimes 4 if that is possible. This is the main reason I'm buying a Game Consol, currently to my kid games are something you play alone on a phone.

Thank You for the games suggestions, my kids are 3 and 8 years old and kids grow really quick...
Yeah, you'll eventually find out what controllers you'll want and part of the fun with the wii u is the amount of choice you get. The nunchuck gives you an analog stick for your wiimote and is usually used in games where you move around in 3D. I don't think any game for the Wii U specifically requires the nunchuck since you have the gamepad, but it is very often possible to use it. Examples of games that let you use the nunchuck, again, are Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. On the other hand, lots of good wii games need the nunchuck, like Super Mario Galaxy, Epic Mickey 2, Mario Strikers Charged Football.

If you're gonna play Wii Sports Club or Resort you're gonna need two wiimote plus controllers since you can't play with just one wiimote plus and a gamepad in two players.

Power A made some smaller wiimotes with nunchuck, but they lack gyro/accelerometer in them. Their nunchuck is nice for smaller hands though the A button on the wiimote itself feels a bit hard to press, like mushy sort of.

Other game recommendations really depends on your kid, whether he/she likes a challenge or gets discouraged quickly. Generally Mario games, especially in 3D can be tough for newcommers to 3D games. Super Mario 3D World is a fantastic game that I've played through with friends, but I would hesitate to make someone who's not familiar with 3D controls play it since there are lots of difficult levels. EDIT: Therefore, for chill and easy games you have Yoshi's Woolly World in two players (2p), Kirby's Epic Yarn (2p). Both good games but they are made specifically to be as easy to play as possible. Also, depending on what type of kid your 8 year old it, they can seem too childish and too easy.

I'd also recommend The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker HD for Wii U since it plays well and looks really nice. It is only single player, but it could be a nice coop experience trying to figure out puzzles etc. It packs some challenge too of course but it doesn't focus too much on precise platforming and more on figuring out what to do next.

If your kid is of the creative type and enjoys to make things himself then Minecraft is great since you can play up to 4 people together. It's also very easy. There's also Super Mario Maker which is for creative types. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U also has a level editor that I can see someone spending hours in, but the game itself can take time to learn.

For a pure hack and slash button masher there's Hyrule Warriors that let's you beat lots of enemies in 2 players.

I'd say the Nintendo Wii U or the Switch is the best place to start to introduce someone to gaming since they have lots of child friendly stuff and lets you play in more players.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: GasperG

GasperG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Got my refurb console with Animal Crossing, didn't had much time to play around, just set it up. Still waiting for flash drive and SD card.

Question, what exactly is WiiVC Injecting, read somewhere that you don't need vWii modding, would this procedure work for Sports Resort NTSC game (iso) on a PAL console? Is it possible to use same storage as for Wii U games (Wii U formatted disk on USB).

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Got my refurb console with Animal Crossing, didn't had much time to play around, just set it up. Still waiting for flash drive and SD card.

Question, what exactly is WiiVC Injecting, read somewhere that you don't need vWii modding, would this procedure work for Sports Resort NTSC game (iso) on a PAL console? Is it possible to use same storage as for Wii U games (Wii U formatted disk on USB).
Nice. WiiVC injecting using teconmoon's injector let's you play Wii and Gamecube games straight from your Wii U menu without booting into vWii menu. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if you need to mod vWii to use this, but it doesn't hurt to do it anyways as it's very easy. Using this injector you'll have your Wii games stored on the same drive as your Wii U games, and other than having to make your wii games injectable on your pc, there is no difference in the installation procedure between injected Wii games and Wii U games. In other words, it's a lot simpler than using usbloaders on vWii.

Wii Sports Resort works this way by using the PAL disc, but not with the NTSC disc. That's what it says on the compatibility list here.

Last edited by Zense,

GasperG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Update, this is going really slowly :) but it's going.

- Installed Haxchi with 64 GB SD card, I didn't bother with CBHC as I don't see a big problem clicking an icon every time I turn ON.
- MLC NAND backup failed 4 times (got 15 files), then I gave up, as the MLC is optional after all
- For now I don't see too much need for Wii games, so I didn't hack vWii
- Formated 64 GB USB flash and installed some games with USB helper + WUP installer
- 3 additional Wii Remote plus (Compatible Chinese version)

Games that I have:
- Wii Sports Club
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Party U
- Mario Kart 8
- Bomberman (Virtual Console)
- New Super Mario Bros U
- Super Mario 3D World
- Yoshi's Woolly World
- Need for Speed - Most Wanted U
- FAST Racing NEO
- Zelda Wind Waker HD
- Color Zen Kids

And now to the problems, syncing Wii Remotes is a pain in the ass, I first got only one, tried several times nothing, restarted the console, without running CFW I then managed to sync. Tried Bowling and Golf all good. Using it as a mouse is highly sensitive, tried to setting it in configuration still not much different. Then I tried Mario Kart and it was constantly nagging about pressing the A button on controller and I didn't like the motion controls. Yesterday I got two more additional remotes, will see if it's any different, but sadly they look exactly the same as the first one.

Visually the remotes are the same as this, I just bought it in the local shop. What is normal and what is not? I placed IR senzor on top of the TV and also configured it that way. How about the range, I have Wii U behind the 10 cm corner wall (YTONG). I know, must test some more, but It's taking time.

Reactions: jeannotte

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Update, this is going really slowly :) but it's going.

- Installed Haxchi with 64 GB SD card, I didn't bother with CBHC as I don't see a big problem clicking an icon every time I turn ON.
- MLC NAND backup failed 4 times (got 15 files), then I gave up, as the MLC is optional after all
- For now I don't see too much need for Wii games, so I didn't hack vWii
- Formated 64 GB USB flash and installed some games with USB helper + WUP installer
- 3 additional Wii Remote plus (Compatible Chinese version)

Games that I have:
- Wii Sports Club
- Nintendo Land
- Wii Party U
- Mario Kart 8
- Bomberman (Virtual Console)
- New Super Mario Bros U
- Super Mario 3D World
- Yoshi's Woolly World
- Need for Speed - Most Wanted U
- FAST Racing NEO
- Zelda Wind Waker HD
- Color Zen Kids

And now to the problems, syncing Wii Remotes is a pain in the ass, I first got only one, tried several times nothing, restarted the console, without running CFW I then managed to sync. Tried Bowling and Golf all good. Using it as a mouse is highly sensitive, tried to setting it in configuration still not much different. Then I tried Mario Kart and it was constantly nagging about pressing the A button on controller and I didn't like the motion controls. Yesterday I got two more additional remotes, will see if it's any different, but sadly they look exactly the same as the first one.

Visually the remotes are the same as this, I just bought it in the local shop. What is normal and what is not? I placed IR senzor on top of the TV and also configured it that way. How about the range, I have Wii U behind the 10 cm corner wall (YTONG). I know, must test some more, but It's taking time.
Hello,

I think your wiimotes are counterfeit, so it works poorly with wii.

prefer official Nintendo wiimotes like this example, you will have better results ==>
m2gs.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol