Hot and Steamy Tutorial Contest!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by TwinRetro, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwinRetro
    OP

TwinRetro Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    [​IMG]

There's one thing for sure. It's summer time, and it's damn hot. So, why not cool off with some Steam? No, not THAT kind of steam. Steam, as in games! A total of $300 in Steam vouchers to be exact. ($100 for First place, $50 for the next 4 runners up) To spend on anything your little heart desires. After all, I have heard rumors of a Steam sale happening fairly soon...

What's the catch? Good question. It won't be easy this time around. Your goal is to teach. To tutor. You will need to write a tutorial for something. Something relevant to GBAtemp. EG: Creating themes for system menus, hacking in it's various forms, coding, how to build a custom game console that plays games from various systems, etc... What will not be accepted, is thing completely irrelevant, like how to unclog a toilet, or how to make your own rocket powered rollerskates. If it has to do with games, gaming, technology, hacking, coding, PCs, mobile devices, emulation or flash carts, it will likely be accepted. When in doubt, ASK. Shoot me a PM, and I'll be sure to let you know if it's within the spirit of the contest. Now, onto the rules...

Rules

1. Tutorials MUST be in text form. Video submissions will not be accepted. Tutorials must be posted on GBatemp. Tutorials linked from another site will not be permitted.

2. Videos and images CAN be used as visual aid, but must not be the main focus of the tutorial.

3. Most sections of the forum have a tutorial subforum. Your submission MUST be posted in the appropriate subforum. If you cannot find an appropriate subforum, post it in the General Tutorials & FAQs subforum.

4. Do NOT copy tutorials you have found online. My google-fu will outmatch your plagiarism jiu jistu every time. Even if it was you that wrote it for another site, you will not be able to post it for this contest. Original content only. When, not if you're caught copying, you will be disqualified from any and all contests, drawings, tournaments and various other events that take place on a monthly basis here on GBAtemp for the end of time. Yes, seriously.

5. In addition to posting your tutorial in the appropriate subforum, you are also required to post a link to the topic you created for it here in this thread, along with a sentence or two of what your tutorial is trying to teach.

6. Consider all results final. Exceptions are not out of the question, but that will be at my discretion. No amount of complaining, whining, or raging will change the posted results. It will only make me consider taking action against your account.

7. Most of all, have fun! Seriously, these events are something fun and friendly for the community to come together with every month.

8. All entries must be completed and posted by June 30th at 11:59PM PST

9. Tutorials must be written at the time of this contest. Any tutorials written before the time of this post will not be accepted.

2. eyecat14

eyecat14 GBATemp's Lovely Jizzing Mordecai™

Dec 14, 2012
    United States
    California
    HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO! This is freakin' awesome, I LOVE A GOOD CHALLENGE!

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    So this is like that tutorial contest that happened awhile back? Interesting. Considering what certain people who are likely to enter can do on this site, I won't even bother attempting to jump into the deep end and compete, but good luck to everybody who feels they've got some useful information to toss our way in tutorial format.

4. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    There will be 5 winners.
    You have your chance! give it a try ;)

5. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Spiky!

Mar 27, 2012
    France
    That looks cool, I'll try!

6. Mythrix

Mythrix GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2006
    YES! Finally I can win (almost) real money with my special pasta recipe tutorials!

Darnit. :(

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
  8. Isaac

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    Put a small lign on the pasta with the words "happy _____ GBATEMP!" And bam related.

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Yay for more tutorials and guides!

Here's some suggestions for you all on what could use a total recreation...
    Again, a total recreation. Not simply copy-editing, I'm talking make a whole new guide on the subject that's much better and includes more info. I realize some of these are borderline on acceptability, I'm just using the competition as an excuse to try to get people to update stuff!

Satangel and DiabloStorm like this.
  10. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-writing-guides.292367/

'Cause y'all motherfuckers didn't think this was good enough last contest we had.

Anyway it's pretty self explanatory: A guide on how to write guides. Back when the tutorials thing just started up we had an influx of shitty guides so I wrote that to help people actually learn how to write them. But it got denied from the competition we had since it wasn't flashcart related or something.

Joe88, Maxternal, Satangel and 2 others like this.
  11. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Now if only I was good enough at anything relevant here.

Harumph and, if I may, haroo.

12. Mythrix

Mythrix GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2006
    Lol xP
    But yeah, jokes asides, I dunno if I know anything useful to write a tutorial about. :P My Steam account is bursting with games from all the Humble Bundles I've been buying anyhows.

13. MarcusRaven

MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

Feb 5, 2010
    United States
    N. Carolina
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-make-a-homebrew-channel-theme.310780/

How to make a Homebrew Channel theme. Covers how to properly replace the images, adjust color settings, and how to construct the archive file read by the Homebrew Channel. Also include tips and suggestions for file sizes, and covers how to take a screenshot using Themeshooter.

Edit: Surprisingly found some time on my lunch break, and should have some time tonight. I'll be adding some revisions and cleaning it up.

14. Lastly

Lastly Honorable UltimateAdmiin - Highest Rank

Aug 8, 2008
    United States
    I think you disabled PM. I can't seem to contact you for some reason. I will go ahead and ask here. Please delete this post if this is not allowed.

This is my first time entering a competition on the temp ever since joining here five years ago! I wrote plenty of tutorials on other sites, so I am excited to enter this comp. Still, there will be plenty of competition! Here I come!

I have a couple of questions for TwinRetro. I have quite a few, so please bear with me.

1. Is the following considered "related to GBAtemp"? I will write the following all under one tutorial, named "AIO for Android - From N00bs to Nerd"
    I might have more sections I may add. This is tentative.

2. I have a descent camera. Is it OK if I borrow images from online, with credit? If not, I will take my own.
    3. I will link some downloads outside the forum. Is this fine?
    4. I will refer to some guides b/c it is outside the scope of this tutorial. Is this fine?

Thanks TwinRetro!

15. Oxa

Oxa Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere Hallow...
  16. Blazer

Blazer GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    United States
    So all we do is write a tutorial, post it on GBATemp, link to it here, and we have a random chance of being one of the 5 winners? Just want to make sure I understand correctly before I enter. Hoping only like 10 people enter so I have a chance worth having hope for

17. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Good luck! Excellent initiative, I won't enter (I've written my fair share of guides, I'm kind of sick of it :P) but I wish you guys all the best!

18. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
  19. TwinRetro
    OP

TwinRetro Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    I think I need to be clear with something...

The tutorials need to be written at the time of the contest. Tutorials written before this thread was posted will not be accepted.

Magsor, Oxa and nukeboy95 like this.
  20. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Don't make me. :P

nukeboy95, Maxternal and Devin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.