Not open for further replies.

CougRAWR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure where id post this but this seems like the right place.
I found this method from the user Go185.

I just made a small guide for newer users to understand and enjoy this game, instead of posting which files to replace.

use DSlazy off this site
http://blog.dev-scene.com/ratx/archives/category/dslazy/
i think that the official site.
you can use NDS tool as well. but NDS tool always messes up on me.

1. load the J rom with DSlazy, and press "unpack" on DS lazy
2.grab the ARm 7.bin file out and put on desktop
3.then load the US rom and unpack
4.put the j ARM7.bin into the unpacked folder for US.
5. have it over write, then click REPACK on DSLAZY.
6 it will prompt you to rename it.
7. then put it on your card.

Im using G6 Lite settings are Safemode and FORCE R/W on.
I havent tried any other settings, but ti works.

tut is kind of rought, but i think its clear enough.
If your having that much trouble doing this then email me at [email protected] and ill give you a littel "help"
smile.gif

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
It works with M3 SD also. I wonder would it work with simcity since J version was compatible and U has the same issue as hoshigami
smile.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting...I wonder why it works like that?

I also wonder if this is going to be the only real fix we're going to have. I'm not sure if the dev teams who produce the flashcarts even know how to work around this, though this might be the clue they need. I certainly hope so.

Currently downloading dslazy and will attempt this on my M3 SD.

Okay, system power on...Thump thump. Thump thump.

GASP. Victory! Safe-Mode + Force R/W works with this method on the M3 SD.

And reading on the discussion over this on the M3Wiki, it seems that Nintendo has found a way to reverse or nullify the effects of Force R/W, or at the very least, they have a system in place that forces the game to write to Slot-1 for saving. I have no idea why it doesn't want to start, though I'm certain it's strongly linked to this.

I dare to ask, can you do this with every J to U game, or only certain games up to a point? Like...well, Hoshigami in this case. The U version has this lock in place, and I assume the J didn't, so...if this is the case, then this is only a temporary fix at best because all versions of one game will have the lock in play and it'll be impossible to use this method to circumvent it.

And, thanks to you CougRAWR and Go185.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Well, I'm not the best in understanding this but it looks to me that the arm7.bin (and arm9.bin ?) is/are some kind of executable code (like EXE files on windows) so replacing protected one with unprotected J version of the same game should (but does not mean it'll work for sure) make it work. Well, something like that, and yes, it is a temporary fix and nintendo starting to use this new kind of protection seems logic since the best games have yet to come ;].

KeitaroBaka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks CougRAWR and Go185 !

I also tried it with SimCity DS and it works well when including the JAP arm7.bin.
yaynds.gif

Bad_Ad84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it doesnt need to be the same game, the arm7.bin seems to be a generic file/loader

http://www.m3-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9506

made a easy way to patch files, ive also used simcity J as donor arm7.bin for the few new jap games that have came out which there isnt a working release for and its all worked fine with no problems.

basically we have a generic fix for the time being

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Just be careful when Nintendo releases a new version of their SDK, the ARM7 binary will probably change again.

Edit: Wasn't really clear. What I mean is this fix could be broken in later games due to SDK updates.

go185

Trophies
XP
Country
This is go185 here.

Your welcome to everyone that said thanks!

I was originally messing around with it to try to get it to work with my X9, and in effect found the fix works on the M3/G6 slot2 carts too!

Seems like the new arm7.bin's are different than the ones we are used to. Hopefully all he carts that dont work with it get updated soon!

by the way, if your on gbatemp's IRC channel(s) at all, I go by the username |papuu| (or papuu)
biggrin.gif

Bad_Ad84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just be careful when Nintendo releases a new version of their SDK, the ARM7 binary will probably change again.

Edit:Â Wasn't really clear. What I mean is this fix could be broken in later games due to SDK updates.

well the arm7.bin HAS changed, we are simply using an older version without this new protection and it works fine with current roms

Bad_Ad84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i know what you mean, but its unlikely to get broken anytime soon and if it does theres no need for a "warning" if they change it, the rom just wont work... hardly a cause for concern.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country

I just made a small guide for newer users to understand and enjoy this game, instead of posting which files to replace.

use DSlazy off this site

If your having that much trouble doing this then email me at [email protected] and ill give you a littel "help"
smile.gif

I confirm the above procedure allows Zelda to be played on the DS-X (not sure about saving capability, but now Zelda doesn't stops showing that red message and allows to play).

I've used arm7.bin from 864-SimCity JPN (arm7.bin from 1103-Hoshigami JPN would also work because both arm7.bin are exactly the same file). I'm using FW 1.0.2.

This fix should allow the execution of SimCity USA and Hoshigami USA on the DS-X too.

This confirms a special check has been set on the newer arm7.bin revisions to try to prevent execution on flashcards.

tanky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

use DSlazy off this site

smile.gif

I confirm the above procedure allows Zelda to be played on the DS-X (not sure about saving capability, but now Zelda doesn't stops showing that red message and allows to play).

I've used arm7.bin from 864-SimCity JPN (arm7.bin from 1103-Hoshigami JPN would also work because both arm7.bin are exactly the same file). I'm using FW 1.0.2.

This fix should allow the execution of SimCity USA and Hoshigami USA on the DS-X too.

This confirms a special check has been set on the newer arm7.bin revisions to try to prevent execution on flashcards.

Hi I really want to get this working but am totally lost at step 3. what US rom? Without sounding rude pls could someone give me clearer steps as im quite a n00b with this stuff :S

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I really want to get this working but am totally lost at step 3. what US rom? Without sounding rude pls could someone give me clearer steps as im quite a n00b with this stuff :S

1. Load the JPN ROM with DSlazy, and press "unpack" on DS lazy. // Here the JPN ROM is either 0864 - SimCity or 1103 - Hoshigami.
2. Copy the "arm7.bin" file and paste it i.e. on desktop.
3. Now load the protected (not working) ROM with DSlazy and unpack (same as in Step 1) // Here the protected ROM is either 1158 - Zelda JPN, 1159 - SimCity EUR, 1170 - SimCity USA or 1181 - Hoshigami USA.
4. Copy the "arm7.bin" you got at Step 1 and paste it into the folder where the unpacked protected ROM is, overwritting the "arm7.bin" there.
5. Now click "REPACK" on DSLAZY. // It is assumed you didn't close DSlazy after unpacking the protected ROM (Step 3)
6 it will prompt you to rename it. // A .NDS file named as you choose will be generated. This is the unprotected ROM.
7. then put the unprotected ROM on your card and try to play normally.

Dawgplg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this works on DS-X 4GB. And it saving too. Not sure if it will save until the end..

nicolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
these are really great instructions....

1. Load the JPN ROM with DSlazy, and press "unpack" on DS lazy. // Here the JPN ROM is either 0864 - SimCity or 1103 - Hoshigami.
3. Now load the protected (not working) ROM with DSlazy and unpack (same as in Step 1) // Here the protected ROM is either 1158 - Zelda JPN, 1159 - SimCity EUR, 1170 - SimCity USA or 1181 - Hoshigami USA.
4. Copy the "arm7.bin" you got at Step 1 and paste it into the folder where the unpacked protected ROM is, overwritting the "arm7.bin" there.
5. Now click "REPACK" on DSLAZY. // It is assumed you didn't close DSlazy after unpacking the protected ROM (Step 3)
6 it will prompt you to rename it. // A .NDS file named as you choose will be generated. This is the unprotected ROM.

but seeing as im a mac user and im just borrowing my girls windows laptop, im not sure im gettin step one even....

how to you load anything with DSlazy? everytime i clik on it or drag something on to it it says...the application failed to initilize properly... click ok to terminate?

any further info on where im going wrong would really be appreciated....i ve googled this topic and everyone seems to point to this thread ....thanks

supachimp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it works for the dsx just tried it with the Hoshigami one. Was def. a lil tricky to patch, had we not had those instructions. To whoever got that application error. You need to download .net runtime. Here's the link for it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

This is very easy to do just as long as you follow the directions. Keep in mind DONT dl the (J) version of Zelda. I was under the impression it had to be the same game but its clearly just to lift the protection on it.

Thanks to those that helped. Took me two hours to find this info and figure it out.

My recommendation? trash the dsx' obsolete

Apsilon

Trophies
XP
Country

Yep works perfectly for US zelda and creates save file using DS-Xtreme cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum