Horror game Devotion finally goes on sale directly through Red Candle Games

29e43fd0-857e-11eb-9dd7-d9e6bd79aab6.jpg

Devotion
has had a tough time making it to market. Originally released on Steam in February of 2019, it was delisted after about a week upon the discovery of an in-game poster that compared Chinese president Xi Jingping to Winnie the Pooh. The Taiwanese developer apologized, claiming that it was the work of one artist and that the rest of the studio was not aware of the text on the poster. They replaced the asset within an hour, but the game was delisted regardless. Then, last December, Red Candle Games announced that Devotion would finally be receiving a full release through GOG, only for GOG to decide not to list the game after all, citing "many messages from gamers."

Now, over two years after the original release on Steam, Devotion has found a home on Red Candle Games' own website. The developer announced yesterday it would launch its own online store, through which they would release their projects--totally DRM-free, as the GOG release would have been. Currently it only hosts Devotion, its prequel Detention and their official soundtracks, but Red Candle Games' other works are expected to be uploaded as well.

You can visit their shop here.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and I'm pretty sure they won't answer to china at worse give Xi the finger...so they too bent over so china can have "butt fun" with them too? these game companies should grow a pair really If i released a game it would be so anti Xi that it may start WW3

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hell yeah. I played this game on release, it's very good. Graphics are nice, music is really good and the story is pretty heartwrenching although it is a rather short game. It has lots of interesting ideas and you can tell a lot of love and care was put into it, the ending might make you cry. There are no jumpscares, but there is a looming sense of dread throughout the entire game and a bit of body horror towards the end. It's not the scariest game I've ever played but it doesn't really need to be to convey its message.

For 17 bucks it's definitely worth it, especially if you're interested in Chinese culture and spirituality.

Last edited by Seliph,

Louse

go play rez
Trophies
Website
www.h.com
XP
Country
United States
and I'm pretty sure they won't answer to china at worse give Xi the finger...so they too bent over so china can have "butt fun" with them too? these game companies should grow a pair really If i released a game it would be so anti Xi that it may start WW3
good luck with that game, mate.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
When ww3 starts, I'm blaming you

Reactions: leon315

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not kidding when I say that this game is the best horror game I've played since SOMA.

The story is incredible.

I'm sure some people will use the whole "it's a walking simulator" thing against it, but I think that's one of the most idiotic critiques one could make against a game.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is this game even good?
I watched some streamers played this game when it was released through STEAM.

It's an interesting adventure horror game featuring easy puzzles and jump scares, inspired by story about how a family got scammed by taiwan fake religious gurus in 80s. The game plot was very well written and heart-touching.

I believe those taiwanese devs didn't meant to offend President Xi but rather was that artist's own doing to screw entire project up: cauz the game is even entirely dubbed in Chinese mandarin to appear more to Mainland Chinese audience.

You should definitely try it.

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro