Homebrew Homebrew & Off-TV Play Q's

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Wii-U fans

I'm considering getting one of these consoles.

But I do have 3 questions though:

1. Are there any Wii-U versions (certain model numbers to look out for) which does not support Homebrew?
  2. Once Homebrew is installed, can I play Wii-U "backups" via the Off-TV Play feature?
  3. Can I use a portable hard drive/disk to add more games, and play them via Homebrew & Off-TV Play

Thanks friends.

PS - (My sincere apologies if these questions have already been answered somewhere else.)

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
AWESOME, thanks for the replies.

Right, four more quick questions:

1. Besides all the extras items you get with the black 32GB version, since you can hook a portable hard drive/disc to the console, do you really need the 32GB black version (since you can expand the memory anyway)?
  2. Is the distance for Off-TV Play to work, dependent on your Wireless signal strength?
  3. Any firmware version which will prevent you from installing Homebrew?
  4. Once Homebrew is loaded, it still ok to update the Wii-U via Nintendo updates?

Thanks again for the replies you two!!

Last edited by WineAnt,

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

1. Besides all the extras items you get with the black 32GB version, since you can hook a portable hard drive/disc to the console, do you really need the 32GB black version (since you can expand the memory anyway)?
  2. Is the distance for Off-TV Play to work, dependent on your Wireless signal strength?
  4. Once Homebrew is loaded, it still ok to update the Wii-U via Nintendo updates?

1. No need for a 32GB Wii U if you gonna use a HDD, the only thing you need to install into the internal memory is a DS game if you want permanent Homebrew Launcher on menu, and it's just around +/-50mb so you have plenty of space with the 8GB white model.

2. No. It use a custom property Wi-Fi protocol, it's not your standart Wi-Fi signal.

3. No, just stay on the latest.

4. Yes, although it's recomended update to the latest firmware first, then install Homebrew.

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: WineAnt

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. No need for a 32GB Wii U if you gonna use a HDD, the only thing you need to install into the internal memory is a DS game if you want permanent Homebrew Launcher on menu, and it's just around +/-50mb so you have plenty of space with the 8GB white model.

2. No. It use a custom property Wi-Fi protocol, it's not your standart Wi-Fi signal.

3. No, just stay on the latest.

4. Yes, although it's recomended update to the latest firmware first, then install Homebrew.

Thank you so much. I think, it's time to get me a Wii U. Now to find a sweet deal:) Especially now that the Switch is the latest flavour...

Reactions: cucholix

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

On 2, note that the gamepad range is pretty shit. At my home (last time I checked) it barely reaches to the bathroom, and does not reach my bed, and I have a relatively small apartment. Whereas my cousin gets the signal constantly dropping out when he's sitting in the living room, with the TV and Wii U on the far end of the room, the Wii U being in a closed cabinet. It is a rather big living room, but still that signal strength is so bad it makes the gamepad almost useless in his case.
YMMV though. Just don't expect to be able to use it in all rooms of the house, it will most likely only work in adjacent rooms at best.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, one last thing.........

Can I have the Wii-U console, which is plugged into my TV, turned off in the living room, have it switched on in my bedroom, via the touchscreen controller and then play and use Homebrew, without the need to do something in the living room where the TV is (with the Wii mote or something)?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

On 2, note that the gamepad range is pretty shit. At my home (last time I checked) it barely reaches to the bathroom, and does not reach my bed, and I have a relatively small apartment. Whereas my cousin gets the signal constantly dropping out when he's sitting in the living room, with the TV and Wii U on the far end of the room, the Wii U being in a closed cabinet. It is a rather big living room, but still that signal strength is so bad it makes the gamepad almost useless in his case.
YMMV though. Just don't expect to be able to use it in all rooms of the house, it will most likely only work in adjacent rooms at best.
Will a WiFi extender help?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Can I have the Wii-U console, which is plugged into my TV, turned off in the living room, have it switched on in my bedroom, via the touchscreen controller and then play and use Homebrew, without the need to do something in the living room where the TV is (with the Wii mote or something)?

Will a WiFi extender help?
Homebrew Launcher is pretty dependant on the Gamepad, it's the the controller for what it was designed for, in fact there are things you only can do with it.
Again, it uses a property Wi-Fi protocol (Ni-Fi IIRC), it's NOT compatible with standart Wi-Fi devices. Would be cool if someone creates somekind of USB beacon that allows extend Gamepad range but

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Yes (if the signal has enough reach).

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Homebrew Launcher is pretty dependant on the Gamepad, it's the the controller for what it was designed for, in fact there are things you only can do with it.
Again, it uses a property Wi-Fi protocol (Ni-Fi IIRC), it's NOT compatible with standart Wi-Fi devices. Would be cool if someone creates somekind of USB beacon that allows extend Gamepad range but
The idea is as follows: I go to bed, everything is turned off and I'm ready to go to sleep AFTER PLAYING games. I go to my bedroom, with the controller with me. Can I then remotely turn on the console, inside where the TV is, to play games via Homebrew? Makes that more sense?

Yes (if the signal has enough reach).
No way to boost the signal then? Like, as mentioned, a WIFi booster/duplicator?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The idea is as follows: I go to bed, everything is turned off and I'm ready to go to sleep AFTER PLAYING games. I go to my bedroom, with the controller with me. Can I then remotely turn on the console, inside where the TV is, to play games via Homebrew? Makes that more sense?
Yes, the console can be turned on with the gamepad. You might need another plug or so for longer gaming sessions because the gamepad's battery only lasts for two hours or so.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can I then remotely turn on the console
Sure, that's what the power button on the controllers is for (so is the home button... :D)

An appropriately sized external antenna?

5GHz has inferior penetrating power than 2.4 by definition anyway

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure, that's what the power button on the controllers is for (so is the home button... :D)

An appropriately sized external antenna?

5GHz has inferior penetrating power than 2.4 by definition anyway
Thus, if I buy the console, and the controller can't reach my bedroom, I'm screwed in the sense as far as using it in my bedroom? Expensive gamble, which worries me now!!

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yes you can, as long the console to Gamepad communication reach allows it, I can play it on bed 5 meters away, with door open though :P

No that I know, some temper did an extender antenna out of his Wii U, but requires you open the console and do some circuit soldering.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thus, if I buy the console, and the controller can't reach my bedroom, I'm screwed in the sense as far as using it in my bedroom? Expensive gamble, which worries me now!!

Well, you could put the console under your bed :P

Most games are playable with the gamepad only (many more than the ones you can play with external monitor + bluetooth controller only)

I actually almost never use an external monitor!

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, you could put the console under your bed :P

Most games are playable with the gamepad only (many more than the ones you can play with external monitor + bluetooth controller only)

I actually almost never use an external monitor!

Going off my own topic here, but I already have the original Wii, hacked & loaded with Homebrew. And I have a 3DS XL, which I don't want to hack. Thinking of getting something more powerful to play with in bed (Dam(n), that sounded twisted LOL). Why I'm considering the Wii-U.

But if it won't reach my bedroom, that will be an expensive "dud" to purchase in my case sadly.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you aren't in a area with plenty of rooms walls and wifi interference, then don't expect the "POSSIBLE" 30 feet the common wifi person says it should have. Yes my apartment is infested with wifi, having a dual band AC router and like 13 devices hooked up to it, will mean something. Just sit close to the system and maybe try and find the sweet spot where you can be comfortable and not have bad signal. Besides if you planning to not use a tt, go fully gamepad only that good too. (Note some games will require tv and gamepad) But for Homebrew and VC is okay.

Second, i would like to know what homebrew (BESIDES RETROARCH EMULATORS) would people be using on the wii u? Unless you use v wii which has more homebrew to offer, there is no way yet of playing that with gamepad, you basically be sitting the game pad and using it like subsitute tv while holding a wii mote+ classic controller (Or wii u pro with some homebrew) like a awkward game console. I did it, and it doesn't bother me but others may have opinions. Playing super smash bros brawl looking at the gamepad is okay to me while using classic controller.

Third, I have wii u black 32GB, (only cause i was one of the fools who bought it at launch for $300) Having only New super mario bros U and nintendo land (YOU WILL WANT FRIENDS TO PLAY THIS GAME WITH) Was boring for the most part until I got Sonic racing transformed. The extra accessories like the base charger is good, the wii u gamepad stand and the wii u system rubber legs as well, but the 32GB was awful, download about 4 wii u retail titles on it and you will want a HDD right away. Can't help but think that it was only meant for the small indie titles or Virtual console with low storage not 5GB- 20GB games. I would least felt better if it had 500GB like ps3 has with the PS3 super slim that came out like 2 weeks before wii u release.:glare:

Some tips, you don't need a huge HDD, just about 250GB, trust me, there isn't enough wii u games to get anywhere near 1TB. Wii u homebrew only works with SD card because of that BULLY priority data encryption the USB devices uses (CAN'T EVEN BACK UP SAVES MAN) Get a HDD with a usb Y cable.... it looks exactly like is called the cable is shaped like a Y and you use 2 usb ports on the system to make it work. (HDD requires enough power to work that why)

Last, Homebrew comes can be accessed in variety of ways, this guide here should answer your questions and safely install homebrew. CLICK HERE If you get as far as haxchi I would stop, I mean personally all I have is haxchi but that just me, others can use the coldboot if they want a even more permanent solution. The guide should explain
  • The free method to using homebrew (Basically requires web browser, free but random reliability)
  • The paid method to using homebrew (100% reliable, installs homebrew enabler on your system menu, no need for web browser)
  • The permanent method to using homebrew (Installs CFW and loads at system start up, no need to enable anything ALREADY DONE)
  • How to backup and install your "LEGALLY PURCHASED WII U GAME DISC" onto your HDD
  • The free method to using homebrew on V WII (The wii backwards compatibility portion of wii u to play wii software, basically installs homebrew channel on v wii and install custom IOS files for backup loading and channel installing)
My point is the guide has everything you need to know for homebrew on wii u, okay? Is "GBATEMP'S BIBLE FOR WII U Homebrew" There, hope that was clear enough. :P

D

Deleted-379826

Also you asked above if it was okay to do Nintendo updates once you have homebrew and somebody said yes. It's a bad idea to update if a new one were ever to hit us because Nintendo will most likely patch homebrew, so make sure to block the update servers.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Unless you aren't in a area with plenty of rooms walls and wifi interference, then don't expect the "POSSIBLE" 30 feet the common wifi person says it should have. Yes my apartment is infested with wifi, having a dual band AC router and like 13 devices hooked up to it, will mean something. Just sit close to the system and maybe try and find the sweet spot where you can be comfortable and not have bad signal. Besides if you planning to not use a tt, go fully gamepad only that good too. (Note some games will require tv and gamepad) But for Homebrew and VC is okay.

Second, i would like to know what homebrew (BESIDES RETROARCH EMULATORS) would people be using on the wii u? Unless you use v wii which has more homebrew to offer, there is no way yet of playing that with gamepad, you basically be sitting the game pad and using it like subsitute tv while holding a wii mote+ classic controller (Or wii u pro with some homebrew) like a awkward game console. I did it, and it doesn't bother me but others may have opinions. Playing super smash bros brawl looking at the gamepad is okay to me while using classic controller.

Third, I have wii u black 32GB, (only cause i was one of the fools who bought it at launch for $300) Having only New super mario bros U and nintendo land (YOU WILL WANT FRIENDS TO PLAY THIS GAME WITH) Was boring for the most part until I got Sonic racing transformed. The extra accessories like the base charger is good, the wii u gamepad stand and the wii u system rubber legs as well, but the 32GB was awful, download about 4 wii u retail titles on it and you will want a HDD right away. Can't help but think that it was only meant for the small indie titles or Virtual console with low storage not 5GB- 20GB games. I would least felt better if it had 500GB like ps3 has with the PS3 super slim that came out like 2 weeks before wii u release.:glare:

Some tips, you don't need a huge HDD, just about 250GB, trust me, there isn't enough wii u games to get anywhere near 1TB. Wii u homebrew only works with SD card because of that BULLY priority data encryption the USB devices uses (CAN'T EVEN BACK UP SAVES MAN) Get a HDD with a usb Y cable.... it looks exactly like is called the cable is shaped like a Y and you use 2 usb ports on the system to make it work. (HDD requires enough power to work that why)

Last, Homebrew comes can be accessed in variety of ways, this guide here should answer your questions and safely install homebrew. CLICK HERE If you get as far as haxchi I would stop, I mean personally all I have is haxchi but that just me, others can use the coldboot if they want a even more permanent solution. The guide should explain
  • The free method to using homebrew (Basically requires web browser, free but random reliability)
  • The paid method to using homebrew (100% reliable, installs homebrew enabler on your system menu, no need for web browser)
  • The permanent method to using homebrew (Installs CFW and loads at system start up, no need to enable anything ALREADY DONE)
  • How to backup and install your "LEGALLY PURCHASED WII U GAME DISC" onto your HDD
  • The free method to using homebrew on V WII (The wii backwards compatibility portion of wii u to play wii software, basically installs homebrew channel on v wii and install custom IOS files for backup loading and channel installing)
My point is the guide has everything you need to know for homebrew on wii u, okay? Is "GBATEMP'S BIBLE FOR WII U Homebrew" There, hope that was clear enough. :P

WOW. thank you for all the time in replying to my question. Lots of info in there. Thanks Sonic Angel Knight - thumbs UP.

Also you asked above if it was okay to do Nintendo updates once you have homebrew and somebody said yes. It's a bad idea to update if a new one were ever to hit us because Nintendo will most likely patch homebrew, so make sure to block the update servers.
I actually thought so, to be honest, since it's the same with Wii homebrew..

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-