Homebrew Launcher: hide Region free launcher

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mashers, Aug 25, 2015.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Hi all

I don't play out of region carts so the region free launcher in the Homebrew Launcher is not useful for me. Is there any way to hide it from the launcher?

TIA!

SLiV3R and Cid2mizard like this.
  2. benjymous

benjymous Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    Presumablt you can just delete its folder inside the 3DS folder

3. Cid2mizard

Cid2mizard GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2007
    France
    Maubeuge
    Nop, not folder for region free, it's include inside homebrew launcher... Me too, i want to hide this app for my children...

SLiV3R likes this.
  4. fmkid

fmkid Just another GBATemp's random guy

Apr 23, 2015
    Colombia
    Only way at the moment (if was possible) is modifying the .3dsx Homebrew Launcher file directly, but really I don't think it is an easy job (will be better expect to modify the source code, because is not released yet). Or, you can suggest this idea directly to Smealum (the creator)!... However, finally I wonder what do someone really want to delete or hide this app for? Only ignore it! :P

Edit: Or, the other actual possibility is using NH 1.1 Homebrew Launcher (unuseful on +9.2FW), because this version don't have "region free" included.

Last edited by fmkid, Aug 25, 2015
  5. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Indeed, there is no folder for it in the SD card's 3ds folder as it's built in to the HB launcher. As for why to remove it, well I don't use the feature so I don't want it in the menu. It's always at the top and thus the first item selected which irritates me. It would be trivial, code-wise, to add an option to hide the region free launcher, even if it was something simple like checking for the existence of a file with a specific file in the root of the SD card, the presence of which would cause the region free launcher not to be displayed.

peteruk and SLiV3R like this.
  6. fmkid

Apr 23, 2015
    Colombia
    Well... If you think so, will be a good idea have "region free" as optional. But, many other people has claimed to Smealum include "region free" tool in his new release... You should or could talk to Smealum about this idea, and expect if he wants made a change to his Homebrew Launcher, including some "region free" hide or delete option.

7. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Yeah I'll tweet him now I know there's not a secret hidden option to hide it ;)

SLiV3R likes this.
  8. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    I commented out this line in the source and recompiled. Seems to work.

You should probably still make an official feature request, though.

Attached Files:

9. fmkid

Apr 23, 2015
    Colombia
    Yes! But, ATM, he only knows and can does something about that! :lol: Good luck with that!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ok, but that is source code of latest HB Loader release (that works above FW 9.2 on NH2/TH/IH)? (Because, I believe is source code of NH1 HBL, IDK)

10. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    It works with Ironhax on 9.9.
    The last commit was a week ago, so I think it's the newest one.

11. fmkid

Apr 23, 2015
    Colombia
    Great, I don't know that! Well, only will be test it!

12. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Nice tj_cool. I'm not using it either. So rf is useless for me!

13. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    The confusion is probably because of this: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Applications
    The launcher is probably the actual exploit, the ropbin thing from NH 2.0, ironhax and tubehax are not yet open source, but as they're listed under homebrew applications many people will jump to the conclusion that this is the Homebrew Launcher menu. I thought this too and found it odd as they all run the same hb_menu.

14. fmkid

Apr 23, 2015
    Colombia
    Yes, it's just a confussion by myself!... Now, I understand that .3dsx HB Launcher file is different to exploit installer/loader. My fault!

Last edited by fmkid, Aug 26, 2015
  15. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    @tj_cool Thank you! That works perfectly! I don't have any 3DS toolchain installed so can't build anything myself, so I really appreciate you taking the time to make that change and recompile.

Looks like regionFreeInit() is the function in which to place any other checks. Perhaps something like this:

Code:
    Result regionFreeInit()
    {
        Result ret = srvGetServiceHandle(&nssHandle, "ns:s");

if(!ret) regionFreeAvailable = true;

const char *filename = "/hideregionfreelauncher";
        struct stat buffer;
        if ( stat(filename, &buffer) != -1 ) regionFreeAvailable = false;

regionFreeGamecardIn = false;

return ret;
    }
    The user then just creates a file called "hideregionfreelauncher" in the root of the SD card to hide the region free launcher, and deletes it again to make it show up again.

16. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I wouldn't ditch it quite yet, RegionFour will allow you to bypass the firmware check in games. It's not useful now, but once Nintendo releases a new firmware, games will start popping up that want newer firmware.

17. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Tjcool's solution is functionally identical to putting hideRegionFree on the sd card. Just without the extra fuss.
    Edit: sorry didn't realize you added that code. nvm.

18. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Yep, I added a bit so you can enable/disable at will. No idea if it would work on the 3ds as I have never coded for that platform.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hmm I didn't know that. Well I'll revert to the default version if necessary. For now, I'm happy it's gone ;)

19. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    You want to hide region free from your children??? Why what do you think they are going to do with it all it does is load games from any region it does not and cannot do anything else.