Homebrew Development

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by aliak11, Jan 16, 2014.

1. DoJo_Master

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    Not the place to ask this..

2. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.

filfat and st4rk like this.
  3. DoJo_Master

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    Mis read sorry..

Snailface likes this.
  4. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Even less of a place to ask for that. (I jest, but maybe try making a thread in the games subforum? Probably better luck.)

Snailface likes this.
  5. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Yeah, I might do that later.

6. idunoe

idunoe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    Neimod wrote makerom? what git repo are you looking at? also the latest is 0.11

isn't this the main git repo?
    https://github.com/3DSGuy/Project_CTR/tree/master/makerom

7. Gadorach

Gadorach Electronics Engineering Technologist

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    AH, you're right, forgot to rename all the folders before zipping them. I had his build of ctrtool in there and made copies of it for the base folders. Meant to rename it to applestash but must've gotten distracted. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edit: All fixed now, let me know if I made any other mistakes.

8. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    I have a question to. The playcoinsetter was ported from a dev unit by known methods. Can the actuel devmenu ( released by bbb) also be converted to .3ds and install .cia files, or will it still only work on a dev unit?

Anyway i was puzzling with that today ( with ctrtool and makerom, but honestly i dont know much about it), and just know i start to read this tread.

9. Gadorach

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    As has already been discussed at length, only the dev tools that are completely self-contained in user-mode permissions are bootable on a gateway card. Kernel-mode requiring apps, like devmenu and netset, can be converted, but will not start. If you had kernel-mode control, you would have no issues with running them.

10. idunoe
    This message by idunoe has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 26, 2014, Reason: link to illegal files.
    Aug 26, 2014
  11. YoshiInAVoid
    This message by YoshiInAVoid has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 26, 2014, Reason: quoting deleted post.
    Aug 26, 2014
  12. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Copyrighted material is not allowed, so you should remove the link.

13. idunoe

idunoe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    so I guess since my post was deleted, the files were real?

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    well it was 3dsguy who shared it so you can pretty much be sure they are real

15. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Why they wouldn't? The guy of the 3DS doesn't lie.

I downloaded it just in case someone could need them in the future.

16. idunoe

idunoe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    why? is he a Nintendo dev or something?

17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    idk tbh what he works for, but he is/was heavily involved in a lot of dev work for the 3ds including 3dsexplorer and other projects for making homebrew rom images
    .....basically he isnt a nobody saying "i haz h4cks", plus he already shared the playcoinsetter from the SDK, so he obviously had them

18. Kane49
    This message by Kane49 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 26, 2014, Reason: don't ask for official SDK.
    Aug 26, 2014
  19. gamesquest1
    This message by gamesquest1 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 26, 2014, Reason: quoting deleted post.
    Aug 26, 2014
  20. Kane49
    This message by Kane49 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 26, 2014, Reason: quoting deleted post.
    Aug 26, 2014
  21. gamesquest1
    This message by gamesquest1 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 26, 2014, Reason: quoting deleted post.
    Aug 26, 2014
  22. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Noob question. Will this help to improve the development of Homebrew as a whole?

23. Cjuub

Cjuub GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2006
    Since it shows how Nintendo implements some of their functionality at a high level, sure I guess it could help. The alternative would be to look at pure assembler code and figure it out (much harder).

24. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Disassembling nintendo tools from official SDK is already polemical for Wii's Libogc.
    even if libogc is using open source libraries, it's not "heavily based" on Nintendo's work but "is" and acts the exact same way Nintendo tools act. not really written legally, it's only a copy of the SDK.

Don't do the same thing for 3DS.
    Write your own tools based on what you learn, not just reproduce its codes which would re-create the nintendo's executables.

Edit:
    I completed the wiki page with the build environment.
    Someone want to check the mistakes I did? I didn't test to compile homebrew yet so maybe there are things not working.

Someone released a homebrew with libCTRU already compiled, who was it? snailface maybe?
    I don't know if it's easier to provide pre-build libraries or let the user do it (and learn).

Also, shouldn't built library files go to devkitPro folder instead of staying in the homebrew project's folder?

25. Gadorach

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Letting the user download ctrulib and compile it themselves makes the most sense. As it's updated frequently, they really should be using the latest versions. Most homebrew makefiles expect the compiled libctru folder in the structure one back from the source code's folder. As a result, you'll usually end up putting the homebrew folder into the same directory as your compiled ctrulib.

Plus, if you're making/compiling homebrew, you're going to have to learn how to compile it anyway.

YourNerdyJoe and Cyan like this.
  26. elhobbs

elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    I think you need to be careful about putting files in the devkitPro folders as they can get deleted during updates