Homebrew Homebrew Development

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, got my hackable 3DS and installed fierce waffle's ROP loader. First time I installed it it worked, got the ram dumper and fractal demos to boot properly. Then I "decorrupted" the profile by entering DS mode and entering a real name/message and then switched to gateway mode and dumped my retail carts, that all went fine. However, when I "decorrupted" the profile and reinstalled the ROP loader again, I got a DS mode brick. I formatted and flashed my nand back and DS mode got unbricked. I then installed the ROP loader after that and yet another brick. Is there a more stable ROP loader available? It isn't too much of an issue for me but having to format and reflash my nand every so often is a nuisance (plus the wear on the flash). AFAIK gateway's profile exploit wont launch homebrew.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well, got my hackable 3DS and installed fierce waffle's ROP loader. First time I installed it it worked, got the ram dumper and fractal demos to boot properly. Then I "decorrupted" the profile by entering DS mode and entering a real name/message and then switched to gateway mode and dumped my retail carts, that all went fine. However, when I "decorrupted" the profile and reinstalled the ROP loader again, I got a DS mode brick. I formatted and flashed my nand back and DS mode got unbricked. I then installed the ROP loader after that and yet another brick. Is there a more stable ROP loader available? It isn't too much of an issue for me but having to format and reflash my nand every so often is a nuisance (plus the wear on the flash). AFAIK gateway's profile exploit wont launch homebrew.
there is indeed a much more stable roploader hidden somewhere in this thread

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
With SSSpwn I see a new future for 3DS hacking scene.
I find really impressive how Smealum always make progress over the hacking scene while most still don't have a clue how he gets it.
The most interesting thing is the possibility that this exploit be adapted to 7.1+ firmwares.

Reactions: st4rk

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
With SSSpwn I see a new future for 3DS hacking scene.
I find really impressive how Smealum always make progress over the hacking scene while most still don't have a clue how he gets it.
The most interesting thing is the possibility that this exploit be adapted to 7.1+ firmwares.

Yeap. He's probably the only dev that is spearheading the entire 3ds hacking scene.

HOWEVER, this so called 6.x and perhaps 7.x exploit is ONLY suited for homebrew apps and games. You still can't fully hack the 3DS.

It's akin to managing a disease rather than curing it. Better than nothing. An achievement in itself.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeap. He's probably the only dev that is spearheading the entire 3ds hacking scene.

HOWEVER, this so called 6.x and perhaps 7.x exploit is ONLY suited for homebrew apps and games. You still can't fully hack the 3DS.

It's akin to managing a disease rather than curing it. Better than nothing. An achievement in itself.

I know, smealum made it clear it's just a user mode exploit, there is no kernel access,
but I don't care about pirate games, all I really want is homebrew.

Reactions: gamefan5

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, smealum made it clear it's just a user mode exploit, there is no kernel access,
Amen to that... But since gateway classic mode has already removed the region lock, allowing me to import games... Hmmm. Well I suppose i could use the exploit on my unhacked 3DSXL and hope that someone can remove it... If it can.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Amen to that... But since gateway classic mode has already removed the region lock, allowing me to import games... Hmmm. Well I suppose i could use the exploit on my unhacked 3DSXL and hope that someone can remove it... If it can.

Since it's a user-mode only exploit, you probably won't be able to use Gateway's loader and therefore, won't be able to bypass region lock with current methods, you'll have to wait some new method that do not need kernel access.

Reactions: gamefan5

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
gf.jpeg

Is this of any indication?

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

It's not about pirating games. Because there are valid and invalid points about the whole piracy issues.

All this new exploit does is allows you to "sideload" home made apps and games.

It DOES NOT allow you to do the cool stuff like changing the background colours, region free, removing camera recording limit etc etc.

does the sig check being patched mean compiled homebrew will run, i saw someone saying the had a yeti3ds.3ds file compiled.....just wondering if that will work :P

Signature Checks being patched would allow any unsigned code to run meaning rom loaders and stuff. My guess is that the new 6.x exploit would require homebrew games and apps to have a pre-generated homebrew signature. Kinda like DRM.

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not about pirating games. Because there are valid and invalid points about the whole piracy issues.

All this new exploit does is allows you to "sideload" home made apps and games.

It DOES NOT allow you to do the cool stuff like changing the background colours, region free, removing camera recording limit etc etc.

Signature Checks being patched would allow any unsigned code to run meaning rom loaders and stuff. My guess is that the new 6.x exploit would require homebrew games and apps to have a pre-generated homebrew signature. Kinda like DRM.

That's good enough for me.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
lol. We have to make it *look* like we don't care about piracy! Although, I am mixed on the subject.

I have my thoughts and theory about this whole piracy issue, but history has shown that tolerance on discussion about such things is minimal at best.

Not really sure about cool stuff for homebrew apps.

It'll be retarded to use the 3DS as an iphone like gaming device. Imagine.... frigging temple run on 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i'll consider it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    if only i can backport the game meself
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pretty sure the new flip one can do psp if you don't mind the sp design
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    resistance still has jerky gameplay on emu
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1gb of ram probably won't help
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess i'll stick to playing helldivers 2 for awhile
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Do people still hate that game or did they fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    fix? there were fixes?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i never heard or notice any fix
  • NO111ONE @ NO111ONE:
    @Xdqwerty crashd was the exploit for LG TVs to root practically any.
    I got word of it this january and rooted my TV. Was pretty impressed.
    Since then LG patched the command to root and then the developer mode app itself from making vulnerabilities.

And then I found out that having a rooted TV lets you use PPPwn to jailbreak a PS4 on firmware 11. Finally uses for my rooted LG (I hate the playstation as such the use is gone)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @NO111ONE, Did you have a arch64 base?
  • NO111ONE @ NO111ONE:
    Honestly didn't care to even poke. The board is W18H
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a 2023 Model turned off update in the homebrew channel maybe if I restore it and run the script again but it might auto update during the process
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    play it safe, keep it off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Script keeps getting stuck at Heap grooming now
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nowadays i just keep my jailbroken ps4 for some exclusives i don't play on pc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The youtube adblocker looks nice in the homebrew channel but I pay for premium for like $4 a month under vpn lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i dont even YT much, Net flix is just another bother
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    YT music apps pointless tbh
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    playing old music mostly while browsing/going through comics at archive.org
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me doin' simple stuff
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't always need a bunch of electronics to enjoy electronics
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: