Hacking Hmm, can swf files be converted to a dol in anyway?

Awesome turtwig

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sorta good in Flash, It would be awesome if I could turn my swf files into dol, or maybe wads! This would be... awesome.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nyrol said:
You can, if you demodulate it.

Not sure if you know what demodulate means.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Demodulate
Close though.

And short answer, even if you had the source to the flash, you wouldn't be able to make a dol out of it. As said before, just host it somewhere and use Opera. Afaik there aren't any flash functions in the wii coding libraries.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Opera would be easiest.

If you are commited to making a flash file to a homebrew app it can be done, but would take an enourmous ammount of work unless you were familiar with both stripping the images from the flash and coding a new backend for it in dev, so you would need to be a very good coder.

I would love to see something that allowed flash files to be converted to some sort of .dol, as there are soooo many great flash games out there that imo are WiiWare quality, and free.

If this all sounds horrible and you want an easy way, setup apache server on your home pc. Make a page that you can save in your Wii's internet channel as a favourite. Now if you want to make it "look" like a game do this:
Make a page that looks like what you want the channel to be, so a big picture say. Navigate to this picture and save it as a favourite on the Wii (it caches a thumbnail
wink.gif
*dont delet your net save file* ), it will now look cool. Next replace that page on your pc with the flash, and name it the same, so easier if the pic, and flash are both put inside an html, or php page. Address doesn't change then.
If your rebuilding or changing the .swf, just place it back in the html/php page and it will sync well on your wii.

I'm not gonna explain anymore, I'm sure you get it. I play with flash a bit, and have a similar setup in my favourites. One of the "channels" favourites is called arcade, I drop .swf files in a directory on my pc, and they are auto listed as links on the left of a frame page, loading in the main window. That's why I have apache, to save me typing out lists and making them links. If you need help with code, give me a pm.

Anyway, I know this is not as .wads on the main Wii menu, but it looks pretty close if you get it right.
wink.gif

To make it .dol = months of work and not a 1:1 copy, but re-written.

jeffreygoldfish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be better to just make a Flash-playing homebrew app with features and whatnot instead of reprogramming one game to be a .dol? I don't own the USB keyboard, but does Opera even recognise it for Flash files? The Flash games I'd want to play need keyboards, but I'd prefer it if I could just hotkey specific buttons to a Wii Remote or Classic Controller something. I think there's an open-source Flash program somewhere, but as hartleyshc said, it's just a matter of whether it can be coded or not - and if anyone actually goes ahead and works on one instead of simply wishing.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
jeffreygoldfish said:
Wouldn't it be better to just make a Flash-playing homebrew app with features and whatnot instead of reprogramming one game to be a .dol?............................... it's just a matter of whether it can be coded or not

It would be better, but also a whole bunch harder and I doubt anyone would make a fully funtional flash player for the homebrew channel, but maybe someone will. There's no news anywhere of anyone doing this I can find, so I guess it could be a long time. It could be done though.

But, you can pretty much replicate the same thing if you just host a local set of pages and use the favourites menu to be the main menu of sorts. So you CAN do what you want by escaping the dol/coding/time problems and using the internet channel, it wont take any longer.

Example 1 |-> Wii on - Go into homebrew channel - pick app/game - play
Example 2 |-> Wii on - Go into internet channel - pick app/game - play

Looks pretty much the same on screen, and takes about the same amount of time. I have over 300 flash games in my arcade page that took me about 20 minutes to set up. I can even pick one individual favourite game and have that as a seperate channel (block in favourites page.)

Now, as for the other 54 favourites you get, do whatever. I use 1 slot for all my internet favourites to save space, easy way to do this is "export" your favourites from ie etc, they will become a 1 page set of links.

OK... I botched up a quick example, it took about 20 minutes, obviously there is NO ART OR FORMATING, so it looks ugly, but will let you see what I mean. Sorry I couldn't get screenshots on the Wii as it has an obsessed Zelda fan hooked to it
tongue.gif

arcade.jpg

arcade2.jpg

Now, you could make it much better and more functional, I'm just showing you that.

Now to use, you do this. Drop file into folder, it runs on wii through that page. If you need help building an html page, or some php to save you doing the work pm me, but I'll not expand on it anymore in this topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT