Homebrew Hid to vpad gamecube adapter analog stick problem

epanezz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hi I have a problem with games like bayonetta and windwaker because my analog stick( gamecube controller) is slow when i want to move down, for example if i push the analog stick down bayonetta wont run she will just walk slow same in windwaker does anyone have the solution. I am using the latest version and real gc controller and real gc adapter if that means something. Help please.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have the HID-Test homebrew app? Open it up and plug in your controller and adapter. Move the stick fully down, up, left, right. One direction of each pair should produce a value of 00 somewhere, while the other should produce FF. If they don’t, then your adapter is sending a narrower range of values than the console expects. You would need to create a new config file and put the max/min values you saw in HID-Test in for the analog ranges.

Hi I have a problem with games like bayonetta and windwaker because my analog stick( gamecube controller) is slow when i want to move down, for example if i push the analog stick down bayonetta wont run she will just walk slow same in windwaker does anyone have the solution. I am using the latest version and real gc controller and real gc adapter if that means something. Help please.

epanezz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do you have the HID-Test homebrew app? Open it up and plug in your controller and adapter. Move the stick fully down, up, left, right. One direction of each pair should produce a value of 00 somewhere, while the other should produce FF. If they don’t, then your adapter is sending a narrower range of values than the console expects. You would need to create a new config file and put the max/min values you saw in HID-Test in for the analog ranges.
I have it, when I move the analog stick up it shows EE but when i move down the number is 21. I tried to look for a good guide for the configure file but it seems really complicated. Do you know Did someone maybe make a guide here on the forum?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have it, when I move the analog stick up it shows EE but when i move down the number is 21. I tried to look for a good guide for the configure file but it seems really complicated. Do you know Did someone maybe make a guide here on the forum?

Ok, that's not too asymmetrical (17 off the top, 21 off the bottom), but still missing out on around a seventh of the full range. We need to tell HID-to-Vpad to treat those values as the stick being pressed fully up/down.

You should start by taking a copy of an existing config file e.g. another GC controller adapter: https://github.com/Maschell/controller_patcher_configs/blob/master/magic_joy_box_gamecube.ini - it's much less daunting than writing one from scratch.

I *hope* you will be able to override just the analog stick ranges, in which case you should look at the page for the official adapter: https://github.com/Maschell/controller_patcher/wiki/5.a-Controller-|-Configurate-the-GameCube-controller, and change the numbers at the top of the config you downloaded to match:
Code:
[vid=0x057e,pid=0x0337]
We aren't going to make it ignore the default values, and we don't need most of the lines below the VID/PID. So you can delete everything except a couple of lines about the stick, leaving:
Code:
// Left Stick
VPad_L_Stick_Y_MinMax = 0x19, 0xE1
(and the X_MinMax one if you had trouble with sideways movement, and the R_stick ones if you had trouble with the C-stick).

Then you replace the 19 with 17 and E1 with EE.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to do some more detective work in HID-Test and consult https://github.com/Maschell/controller_patcher/wiki/5.d-Controller-|-Adding-new-devices if it doesn't work the way I'm describing (e.g. for the d-pad mode), and edit the config file you downloaded to use the values you find. The VID & PID values that show up in HID-Test need to go on that top line.

There are two rows of figures in HID-Test: the top line is the byte position that goes in the second-last column of the config; the bottom line is the value that appears there when you press each of the buttons. Hopefully you can pick out the values for ABXY,LRZ+,d-pad on your own.

For the sticks:
Code:
// Left Stick
VPad_L_Stick_X = 0x03, 0x83                    // Byte position and neutral value for sideways movement
VPad_L_Stick_Y = 0x04, 0x7D                   // Byte position and neutral value for up/down movement
VPad_L_Stick_X_MinMax = 0x1F, 0xE9     // smallest and largest values found for X movement
VPad_L_Stick_Y_MinMax = 0x19, 0xE1     // smallest and largest values found for Y movement (which you said were 17 and EE)
VPad_L_Stick_X_Deadzone = 0x08         // How far from the central value you need to push the stick for it to register anything - larger values prevent an old worn stick from drifting, but make it hard to register small movements
VPad_L_Stick_Y_Deadzone = 0x08
VPad_L_Stick_Y_Invert = true                   // Whether up or down is the higher number - try it both ways and see what happens

Once you've created your config file, it needs to go on your SD card in wiiu/controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol