Homebrew Hi-Resolution DS Emulation

sirocyl

Are we Geniuses or what?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Definitely would love to see a higher cap on the res multiplier. I might not be able to run it at 60 or 30fps, but I could use in-game free-cam mode and/or camera modifier codes to get some very nice HD environment screens.

Reactions: Margen67

pol40

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
In the new version DeSmuME X432R 2015-03-15-0 you can resize the displays independently:

ouvyw3.jpg

ogdvsp.jpg

Exophase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this available for Android?

This will be:

It's not DeSmuME, but the thread title only says Hi-Resolution DS Emulation so I figured it's fair game ;)

Resolution enhancement teaser for an upcoming version of DraStic (DS emulator for Android). It'll only support 2x2 (512x384) w/o other features since it's strictly an extension of the software rendering, and it'll require a high end device to work well.. But hey, it is limited to phones and such, so things are a little more constrained.

(I also posted about it here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/nexus-7-not-good-enough-for-ds-emulation.381629/page-5#post-5454964 Mods, please let me know if you want either of these posts removed)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This will be:

It's not DeSmuME, but the thread title only says Hi-Resolution DS Emulation so I figured it's fair game ;)

Resolution enhancement teaser for an upcoming version of DraStic (DS emulator for Android). It'll only support 2x2 (512x384) w/o other features since it's strictly an extension of the software rendering, and it'll require a high end device to work well.. But hey, it is limited to phones and such, so things are a little more constrained.

(I also posted about it here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/nexus-7-not-good-enough-for-ds-emulation.381629/page-5#post-5454964 Mods, please let me know if you want either of these posts removed)

Great news Exophase, thanks for the DraStic update, I suppose my Nexus 4 will be too low-end to pull this out, but I will check it when is released nonetheless.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will be:

I wonder just how much of this is based on, if not directly copied from DeSmuME X432.

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Android and Windows have little in commom, I doubt you can simply copy/paste things.

The screen resize was dearly missed, finally. Anyone know if it is impossible to make them independent?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Android and Windows have little in commom, I doubt you can simply copy/paste things.

The screen resize was dearly missed, finally. Anyone know if it is impossible to make them independent?
Actually you can copy the render code.
That said unless both use the same renderer then copying won't work.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Android and Windows have little in commom, I doubt you can simply copy/paste things.?
I "know" Exophase from the gp2x and Pandora forums, he knows very well how to do this. And, TBH, if you have proper structuring of code, it's a hell of a lot easier than, say, doing a dynarec.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damnit, Nintendo, why can you do the same for your DS emulator for Virtual Console titles? >:C
I want to see some Mario Kart DS with those polished textures, goddamnit!

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance that drastic for android eventually utilizes resolution upgrades this substantial? would love to try it out on my shield portable.

D

Deleted User

I think it's not worth it for any of the Pokémon gaems, given the amount of 2D sprites they use.

Either way, eventually we'll have affordable computers which will be able to handle this, so it'll be pretty good once we get there.

By the way, OpenGL renderer works pretty damn well with Phantom Hourglass; constant 60FPS on x4 internal resolution should be easily achievable if you have a higher end machine (I have a mobile i5 at 2.6GHz with nvidia 660M and x4 runs at almost 60FPS with OpenGL renderer, nearly constant 60FPS with x3; imagine with a high-end desktop i7 and a high-end gpu.)

But yeah, it's nice and all but it doesn't increase the resolution of 2D sprite objects, so you have semi-high res 3D environment and then you have low-res 2D barrels and bushes everywhere.

The sprites in Pokemon B/W are actually flat 3D models with sprite textures on them.
But I see what you're saying, and I agree that it's not worth it at all.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
This will be:

I am so glad I bought DraStic way back when, I'll really be looking forward to trying this once it hits the Google Play Store.

Did you try running it under WINE?

Seeing as Wine is similar to an emulator, I don't think it'd run too terribly well.

Exophase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder just how much of this is based on, if not directly copied from DeSmuME X432.

None of it is. I've had plans to do this since well before X432R came out, and a pretty rough idea on how to do it, but didn't get around to it until pretty recently. The part about increasing the resolution of the 3D rendering is straightforward (although of course it makes it much slower for a software only renderer), the tricky part (and probably why we didn't see anyone do it until 2014) is properly combining the high-res 3D output with the low-res 2D output and doing something to maintain high-res even through the capture unit as much as possible, because a lot of games use the capture unit for dual-screen 3D, effects like motion blur, or rendering more polygons than the DS can normally handle.

I'm looking at X432R's source now and frankly it's hard for me to even really understand how it works. I think it would take more time to fully understand it (much less somehow incorporate it into DraStic which works totally differently at pretty much every level) than it took to implement high-res rendering in the first place :P A lot of thought was put into how to make it work this way, but the end result was something that was straightforward to implement and mostly uses the same code for low-res and high-res, while X432R looks like it has a totally separate code path for combining high-res 2D and 3D.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it matter? Exophase is the author of DraStic, that, and DeSmuMe isn't really closed source, so....

Of course DeSmuME x432 isn't closed source, but that doesn't mean you can steal its code and sell it. Well you can, but it'd be illegal to use that code without releasing his source if specifically asked to.

Why do you care?
Why shouldn't I care?

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :ninja: