PS1/2 Hey guys, loading backups with an external HDD is possible with the Slim Ps2??

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Heya people, i had no idea this was possible , i just was googling about burning some DL DVD and bumped into some good stuff.

is this really possible? it surely is annoying to swap discs all the time ( i do not use my ps2 too often )

but i love my ps2, i still have alot of game i have yet to finish on it, it is a Slim ps2 and it is modded.
it plays all the burned games of mine just fine, i'd like to know whether it is easy to set up that usb loading ?

and whether there is a tutorial for it, thanks in advance.

And also, how is the compatibility , does it play most games , and do they play fine (not slow?).

edit: now i see something called McBoot memory card, is this MC needed for usb loading O.O ?

according to this video a copy of 007 game is also needed?

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hummmmmm

Of cours it is possible.
But it sucks.

It is better to use opl with SMB share.

You need to install free McBoot + OPL since your PS2 is modded you can use a swapmagic copy I think

Reactions: leonmagnus99

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I agree with chocoboss, usb loading on ps2 is far from ideal as the speed of the usb ports is only 1.1 so loading times go up significantly. Also in game videos tend to stutter etc. If your laser is failing then usb loading is a good way to make it last longer (run compatible games through usb instead of using the disc drive), but again just be prepared for long loading times and not being able to watch most cut scenes :(. I've never tested the SMB sharing option so I don't know how that is, but a lot of people say its faster than usb for the ps2

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Yeah I agree with chocoboss, usb loading on ps2 is far from ideal as the speed of the usb ports is only 1.1 so loading times go up significantly. Also in game videos tend to stutter etc. If your laser is failing then usb loading is a good way to make it last longer (run compatible games through usb instead of using the disc drive), but again just be prepared for long loading times and not being able to watch most cut scenes :(. I've never tested the SMB sharing option so I don't know how that is, but a lot of people say its faster than usb for the ps2

thank you both lots.
i will just stick to discs then.

i'll try burning a dvd9 later on, i hope it'll work.
i have some empty DL DVD+R laying around.

(Xenosaga episode1!)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you both lots.
i will just stick to discs then.

i'll try burning a dvd9 later on, i hope it'll work.
i have some empty DL DVD+R laying around.

(Xenosaga episode1!)
Dvd9 doesnt work with the swap magic at all. It needs to be ripped to dvd5 first. The ps2 wont be expecting a second layer on the backup copy (as the swap magic is only single layer) so it wont be able to find it. You need a modchip for dvd9, although it might work with fmcb using the esr method, i have no idea, never tried it lol

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Usb 1.1 = 1.5 - 12 Mb/sec
Fast eth = 100 Mb/sec

This is a big difference lol
i actually wonder what's the stress on the cpu on theese old consoles that are patched to redirect the loading of content..
not only with drivers to make the ports working (usb or ethernet, or wifi in some cases) but with filesystems, protocols, etc..
does it have impact on games?

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
so is there a way to get that mcboot on a normal memory card in a way ?
i saw on youtube that you can burn a file titled as cdgen iso into a dvd and run it with the browser and that will copy mcboot into your memory card but you need to have at least 3.5 mb free on it.

does that work?

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
@TeamScriptKiddies hey mate, i really would love to get Xenosaga Episode 1 working.

i downloaded the undub version and it comes with 3 iso files 'x1d1_undub' being the disc 1 of it.

it is originally a dvd9 , but they had it converted etc. and you basically need to swap discs at a certain point of the game.

but the thing is, i can't seem to get it to load up with my modded ps2.
my ps2 usually plays all burned games just fine, i burned the disc 1 of Xenosaga with imgburn at a 4x write speed using dvd -r

but when i put it in my ps2 , it just does not load the game, and also i can hear the ps2 making some clunky noises? like noises struggling to read the disc.

it basically does not read it and i do not get that rsod thingie, it just stays in the main menu of the ps2.

i tried burning with a 3x write speed (this was the lowest my dvd supports) and it still did not do the trick.

the weird thing is that it ran fine with pcsx2 emu, but i do not like gaming on laptop plus its slow and stuff.

do you know if there is a way to make it work ?

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TeamScriptKiddies hey mate, i really would love to get Xenosaga Episode 1 working.

i downloaded the undub version and it comes with 3 iso files 'x1d1_undub' being the disc 1 of it.

it is originally a dvd9 , but they had it converted etc. and you basically need to swap discs at a certain point of the game.

but the thing is, i can't seem to get it to load up with my modded ps2.
my ps2 usually plays all burned games just fine, i burned the disc 1 of Xenosaga with imgburn at a 4x write speed using dvd -r

but when i put it in my ps2 , it just does not load the game, and also i can hear the ps2 making some clunky noises? like noises struggling to read the disc.

it basically does not read it and i do not get that rsod thingie, it just stays in the main menu of the ps2.

i tried burning with a 3x write speed (this was the lowest my dvd supports) and it still did not do the trick.

the weird thing is that it ran fine with pcsx2 emu, but i do not like gaming on laptop plus its slow and stuff.

do you know if there is a way to make it work ?
Pm me ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill