OArikadoO

OP
Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people were really happy with how my port of Heretic to Wii turned out so I decided to do an original port of Hexen to Wii. Right now, it's at about the same stage as my Heretic port so I'm calling this initial release version 0.5.

You may be thinking "There's already another port of Hexen to Wii. What's so special in your port?". My port has the following features not available in the other port:
  • Full USB Support
  • Support for the Hexen Expansion WAD: Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (hexdd.wad)
  • Saving
  • A wiimote and nunchuk control scheme that uses the wiimote's IR
  • GC control scheme
  • Classic Controller control scheme
My port does not support using cheat codes yet, but it's on the way (I'm in college now so I figured you'd rather not wait a week - or more - for it to be finished).

You can download my port and get the source code to it here: http://code.google.com/p/hexen-wii

If you're kind enough to do so, you can donate to this project here: http://arikado.chipin.com/college-fund

rem300wm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello to all
OarikadoO went and downloaded Your Port of the game and when I try to run it it gives me the error
W_Ini +multiple files missing it's the Hexxen 0.5 download
Any ideas?
Thanks

D

Deleted User

awesome! 0Arikado0, you do really great porting these games. I hope to see more of your ports in the near future!
laugh.gif

OArikadoO

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
rem300wm:
So that means you're missing the Hexen.WAD file required to play the game.

fudgenuts64:
tbh, I prefer heretic but hexen is not bad. It's just much different from the usual shooter fare. I recommend you try playing as the mage.

Thanks for the support everyone.

A piece of news: I've been added to the WiiDOOM SVN so I'll be working on that project now
smile.gif
Hopefully a new version of it some time in the next 7-10 days depending on how much free time I can find.

D

Deleted User

OArikadoO said:
rem300wm:
So that means you're missing the Hexen.WAD file required to play the game.

Thanks for the support everyone.

A piece of news: I've been added to the WiiDOOM SVN so I'll be working on that project now
smile.gif
Hopefully a new version of it some time in the next 7-10 days depending on how much free time I can find.

So you're working at Doom as well. Are you going to improve the port, or are you planning to learn from their code to optimise heretic and hexen?

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Nice to hear your next project will be WiiDOOM =)

Also those games share similar button scheme, your actual scheme is a little weird ´cause (Gamecube controller) you need use the right stick constantly, so it should better if the shot button was in the shoulder R, while face buttons help to change weapons, as secondary buttons.

I´m not sure if it could be possible leave L-R buttons to strafe, left stick to move, A button to shot, B to action, X-Y to cycle weapons, and do not use left stick at all.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ooh...hexen too? Nice.
smile.gif

I admit I liked heretic more (the RPG element was just lost to me...all I could think of was that you had barely any weapons). But past the low-amount-of-weapons and the constant back-and-forth'ing between levels, it wasn't bad at all.

Thanks.
smile.gif

(...and I guess that's also a thanks to Hermes, who released a hexen port not too long ago as well)

OArikadoO

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Quick update on WiiDOOM: I got full SDHC and USB support in it yesterday and fixed a really small (potential?) problem with the file IO yesterday. Not sure if I'll be able to work on it more today as I have a ton of homework staring me down right now
frown.gif

Justin121994: After geohots hack I actually worked with some of people reversing the dumped lv1. I found a few interesting things in documenting subroutines and in SPU handling and passed them on. That was all in the past though (about March actually) and now I no longer follow PS3 hacking. I'm rather confused as to what the actual state of PS3 homebrew is. I understand there's a USB modchip that will let people launch backups from their HDD but I really don't know about what (if any) capabilities for homebrew development it offers. I heard they released an SDK for PS3 homebrew but I've also heard that 95% of it is copied from the official SDK making the "homebrew" SDK illegal. So I really dont know whats going on.

I'm just going to sit back and watch carefully what happens. I dont even own a PS3 but I'd love to chance to work on developing for it if it was available.

OArikadoO

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Gvaz:
Your WAD goes in /apps/hexenwii/

"hexen 2" wont work with this port.

"hexen: beyond heretic" is the version of hexen that was ported to be played.

"hexen: deathkings of the dark citadel" is the expansion pack my port supports. Put the WAD in the same place as the Hexen WAD to be able to play it.

For "heretic: shadow of the serpent riders" see my port of heretic: http://code.google.com/p/heretic-wii

Gvaz

Trophies
Website
gvaz.notsleepytime.org
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I ended up just dropping hexen.wad and hexdd.wad into the same folder and it seems to work but I have some minor complaints.

Changing settings seems to be hit or miss? Things turn on but I can't figure out how to revert them to prior settings.

Aiming seems pretty jumpy, restrained to one of four directions. It rotates really fast too, which I don't recall the pc version doing, but it's been a while since I've played it? It really shouldn't though since it's a doom port... Either way I found aiming to be pretty difficult.

Other than that it seems fine. Is there a way to select one or the other wads?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.