Help with vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Brunho, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Brunho
    OP

Brunho GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Since I didn´t found a noob questions topic like on the 3DS board, I´m going to create this topic. Sorry, everyone, if it´s in the wrong place.

I´ve been reading the forum for a week, gathering information about this and I think I understand everything. I know you all must be tired of answering this questions over and over, so, to simplify, I will just post all I´ve learned and would like the veterans on this matter to confirm if everything´s right, point any mistake or add some important tip.

My situation:

I want to play backup copies of Wii games on my European (PAL) Wii U. For now, I´m not interested in any kind of emulators, just the Wii games, and I never had a Wii or did this process before.

What I learned:

- vWii is completely separated from WiiU, so even if I brick it, my WiiU interface will be all right;

- Never install things made for softmodding Wii in the vWii;

- Softmodding vWii will not interfere in updating the WiiU firmware, as long as I don´t mess with slots below IOS200;

- To instal the Homebrew Channel (the first step), I need to have one of these games, from the same region of my WiiU: http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/WiiMode
    (this is the tricky part, because my WiiU is not from the region I live, I will have to do some searching for these)

- To install the Homebrew Channel, I need to use a non-SDHC SD card (2GB or less);

- After the Homebrew Channel is installed, I can use other types of storage, like a HD or SDHC Card to boot my games from;

- It is a good practice to use DumpMiiNand to backup my NAND and Yet Another BlueDump Mod (YABDM) to backup individual vIOS without fake signing, because it can help a lot if I do some careless mistake in the future;

- The main diferences between using EmuNAND or not is: if I don´t use EmuNAND, I can only boot games from the vWii internal storage (512 mb) and, if I brick it, I´m bricking my original NAND, which is harder to recover. So, based on these, I think using EmuNAND is the way to go because it allows me to boot games from external storage and it´s safer.

I think that´s it. Like I said, I just wanted to do a last check with you guys, because I had no problems with my 3DS, thanks to all the info on this forum. :yaynds:

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    This is all correct. I wish more people would do this, honestly. If you have questions, post them to this thread. You've stated it, but I'm going to re-iterate= make for absolute certain that the mod you wish to use is vWii compatible if it installs to the NAND!

3. Brunho
    OP

Brunho GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Thanks, TotalInsanity. I´m just waiting for my copy of Lego Batman to arrive to start the process. If any new doubt arises, I will post here. ^_^

TotalInsanity4 likes this.