Hardware Help with o3DSxl [USA] NAND dump

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a o3DSxl US running FW version 9.9.0. I am currently following this guide to creating a NAND dump for my system:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds.353263/

The reason I am making a NAND dump is because I am planning on using sysUpdater to downgrade my FW to 9.2, and I am aware of the possibilities that I may softbrick my 3DS and be forced to update to 10.5 (?). I do not have much soldering experience (none actually), but this seems like a relatively easy hardmod to do. My main question is: after I have finished the hardmod, dumped my NAND successfully, and my 3DS doesn't softbrick, can I desolder the wires that I soldered to the SD card during the mod? Or will this cause problems with my 3DS?

Another question: I did some research and found that certain types of SD card adapters do not work with this Mod. Could anyone who has previously done this Mod please let me know what brand/type of SD card adapter should be used?

Last edited by TheToaster,

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, I'm going to clear up some stuff.
  • SD cards are not actually used in the mod... HOWEVER, micro SD to SD adapters are commonly used...
  • The incompatibility you're referring to is the SD reader... Some readers cannot read the 3ds nand
Now, about the actual mod:
The 3ds will function normally when the makeshift SD reader you made is disconnected from the SD reader.
When it is connected to the SD reader the 3ds will have a blue screen displaying an error code, At this point the nand can be read or written to.

Here is a list of readers confirmed working by other gbatemp users:
Anker® USB 3.0 (68UNMCRD-B2U) : Realtek RTS5306
TekRepublic TUC-300 : Realtek RTS5307
SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M : GL827
Transcend P8 TS-RDP8K : ALCOR AU6476 (Thank you Gamerquest1 and zchtoy)
Anker® USB 3.0 4-Slot Card Reader (A7612) : RT5301 (Ava)

And yes, after you downgrade successfully you can de-solder the wires and the 3ds will continue to function normally.

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • SD cards are not actually used in the mod... HOWEVER, micro SD to SD adapters are commonly used...
  • The incompatibility you're referring to is the SD reader... Some readers cannot read the 3ds nand
The 3ds will function normally when the makeshift SD reader you made is disconnected from the SD reader.
When it is connected to the SD reader the 3ds will have a blue screen displaying an error code, At this point the nand can be read or written to.

And yes, after you downgrade successfully you can de-solder the wires and the 3ds will continue to function normally.

Thank you.

Reactions: LameNobody

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ok, I understand that I use win32diskimager to dump the NAND. But how do I restore a previously dumped NAND back to my 3DS? More specifically: I am trying to downgrade to 9.2 and I don't want to just jump in blindly like everyone else. Let's say I do something stupid (like go onto "that ISO site" and accidentally download the N3ds files instead of the O3Ds files) and end up bricking my device. How would I restore my NAND dump if I have removed the hardmod that I made?

Robmead23

Trophies
XP
You would need to redo the hard mod to flash it back. I would leave it fitted until you have done the downgrade and know it is all working ok

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would need to redo the hard mod to flash it back. I would leave it fitted until you have done the downgrade and know it is all working ok

Thank you. And how would I flash it back? Do I use the same tool I used to read the NAND to write to it? How would I go about writing to it?

FYI, I haven't downgraded or performed the hardmod as of yet.

Robmead23

Trophies
XP
I've never hard modded myself but I believe from what I have read when I considered doing a mod you write back using the same program as reading. Im sure someone who has done it will be able to help better

mchew

Advanced Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i took apart an old usb cable and used the wires from that.
wpYZc5a.jpg

mchew

Advanced Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, however the connectors are not necessary if this is not gonna be a permanent mod. Also, try to keep the wires as short as possible (4 inches or less).

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, however the connectors are not necessary if this is not gonna be a permanent mod. Also, try to keep the wires as short as possible (4 inches or less).

Yes I am considering leaving this mod on permanently. The reason I was hesitant was because I was thinking of installing another hardmod to my device and I didn't want too many space restrictions. However, it seems that there will be enough room to do both mods. Thanks!

Reactions: wormdood

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What size Phillips screwdriver do I need to unscrew the back plate? Also, how do I detach the ribbon cables without breaking or damaging them?

mchew

Advanced Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JIS #0 or if you don't have that, a philips #00. just be careful not to strip the screws if using the philips. Just use your fingernail or a plastic pry tool to flip the cable locks up.

Reactions: TheToaster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.