Homebrew Help with emulating on Wiiengine

Lollerskater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all,

I've been trying to emulate Dungeon Explorer II (U) on my Wii by using Wiiengine.

I think I've done everything correctly to set up the rom for the emulator - I have the .toc file outlining all the .iso and .ogg/.wav files, all the files themselves, the .cue, etc.

The problem
When I load up the .toc, it goes to "Super CD-ROM System" Version 3 (U) in Wiiengine, and, when I press the "run" button on my controller, it doesn't go past "Just a moment. . ." .

The readme for Wiiengine says to load the .toc. Yet, some people say to load the .cue. However, .cue's do not show up on the navigation menu when using Wiiengine.

What would be helpful
If somebody could send me a comprehensive layout of what their files and folders in their SD/USB is like, then that would probably help. A tutorial would also be helpful (yes, I did read and follow the "readme"). Better yet, if someone could try to get Dungeon Explorer II working themselves and tell me what they did, that would work quite well.

Extra information:
The layout of my USB drive is as follows (roms are on the USB drive, Wiiengine is on my SD card):

Code:
> root 
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ> roms 
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > pcengine 
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ> Dungeon Explorer II (U) 
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > Dungeon Explorer II (U).cue
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > Dungeon Explorer II (U).toc
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > syscard.pce
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > SYSCARD.PCE.bz2
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > syscard.zip
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > track01.wav
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > Track02.iso
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > track03.wav
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > track04.wav
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ...............
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > track33.wav
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ > Track34.iso
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ> img
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ> saves
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ> syscard.pce
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ> SYSCARD.PCE.bz2
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ> syscard.zip
As you can see, I have a few extra "syscard" files floating around in my USB drive. I also have tried essentially the same thing with a different download of Dungeon Explorer II, and with different versions of "syscard". I've omitted the extra folders that contain other Dungeon Explorer downloads.

My .toc file is laid out as follows:
Code:
syscard: #syscard.pce.bz2

Leadin
track01.wav
Track02.iso
track03.wav
track04.wav
track33.wav
Track34.iso
Leadout
(note: there is not actually "........" in the .toc file...I just did that to save space in this message)

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate if you guys could come through for me and help me out with this issue. Thanks! =)

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to direct the correct syscard to the TOC file.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiEngine
Contents of a TOC file: The data/audio tracks have the word Leadin before them, and the word Leadout must be written after the last track, without any spaces between lines. You can write commentaries before the word Leadin (those commentaries can't include the word Leadin!) and you can specify the rom with a given CDROM BIOS as follows: syscard: supersystemcard_usa.pce in this case, the system rom must be in the same directory where the .toc is, but if the character '#' is added it will be taken from the directory :/roms/pcengine

i.e.: syscard: #syscard3.pce.bz2 If the keyword syscard is not added: the default syscard will be used. After that you can write the word Leadin and the file list as follows:

So I have one of mine set up like this in my TOC files for every cd game;

syscard: #syscard3.pce

Leadin
Position: 00:02:00
track01.ogg 00:51:65
Position: 00:53:65
etc...

My syscard is located in the "PCengine" folder alongside the main folders for the games. It is actually named "syscard3.pce".

Lollerskater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your solution worked - I can now load the games and play them.

However, there are glitches in the game's gameplay/sound/music/voices:
- there is no music or voices in the cutscenes (even when the characters are seen moving their lips, without subtitles)
- the main menu music fades away after two seconds (this can't be right)
- the gameplay seems choppy - as if, after each step your character takes, the game freezes for a fraction of a second.
- after you talk to a character, there is no button you can press to close the dialogue box and continue on.

In Moto Roader II, a different game, there is no music on the second stage.

There's no way the developers made the games like this. YouTube videos of the games also show otherwise. Any way I can fix these problems?

(edit notes: added more detail to my reply)

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games I have run a little glitchy also, but not that bad. There is also the option of attempting a rom injection into a WII virtual console game for Turbografx 16. I have never tried it, but with a little research you may be able to figure it out. The turbo16 games run slighty better than the Wiiengine counterparts, although you loose the save states. Save states are nice on overly hard games such as Rondo of Blood.

It sounds like the game above may have an issue with its TOC file and/or original dump. Maybe try a different source for the bin/cue file and re-split through the emulator app. See if the TOC file comes out different. There was a site I'd found once with pre-made TOC files. Try and search for it and compare your game TOC. I don't think it was exactly laid out for Wiiengine, but the layer breaks will be right, I think.

Lollerskater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've tried yet another version of Dungeon Explorer II, checked the validity of the .toc files with a website and a program, extracted the .bin using a different program, and the problems still exist.

I didn't try injecting a rom; that seems fairly complex. Although I found a tutorial for rom injection, it looks like it would take a fair amount of time and understanding to do.

I don't understand why there aren't any websites that host pre-made Wiiengine game .zips - complete with the .toc file and every other file you need to just download and play. Emulators aren't perfect, but my experience with Wiiengine has been pretty unlucky - if luck is indeed the case.

niknice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Check ya PM Lollerskater
smile.gif

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took me a while to finally get the games working. I was about ready to go ballistic on bincuesplit. That is, until I finally found the format that it would accept. Everything prepped online, including the emulator would be nice. That would be something to unzip and have it all laid out from the root.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock