Hacking Help with CTRTransfer

JohnIsBroken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have to use CTRTransfer to fix my N2DS to fix the black screen problem. I didn’t make a NAND backup, and have to use this method. When I download the CTRTransfer .zip file, it says there is supposed to be a .bin file. But I only see a .gm9 file, has anyone else experienced this?

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Taking from the another thread:

Yes, it said completed on the torrent. Also, the folder was called CTRTransfer.Type.D9.v1.9, with a file called CTRTransfer (Type D9).gm9
It seems you aren't downloading the correct/adequate donor CTRNAND file. Check again and carefully this tutorial (the needed CTRTransfer image file, according to your console region and model, is exacty on the "What you need?" section; remember that is a magnet link, not a direct download link, then you need to use a torrent client to download it, and must be a file with ~700MB of size):

https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html

Last edited by fmkid,

JohnIsBroken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking from the another thread:

It seems you aren't downloading the correct/adequate donor CTRNAND file. Check again and carefully this tutorial (the needed CTRTransfer image file, according to your console region and model, is exacty on the "What you need?" section; remember that is a magnet link, not a direct download link, then you need to use a torrent client to download it, and must be a file with ~700MB of size):

https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html
Yes, I know, but it wasn’t in the file when I downloaded it with the bit torrent. Any clue what might prevent the CTRTransfer Image from appearing in the file?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

He already provided the link where you can find and download the CTRTransfer image using a bittorrent client. Click this underlined sentence to re-read his 4th post.
He already provided the link where you can find and download the CTRTransfer image using a bittorrent client. Click this underlined sentence to re-read his 4th post.
Thanks for the help, but I know how it works. My problem is that the CTRTransfer Image is not in the file when downloading it with the bittorrent client. I even used the recommended one from the website that the tutorial is on.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help, but I know how it works. My problem is that the CTRTransfer Image is not in the file when downloading it with the bittorrent client. I even used the recommended one from the website that the tutorial is on.
  • As will be pointed out to you for the 5th time, the ctrtransfer images are found at [3ds.hacks.guide] CTRTransfer.
  • The * New (2/3)DS(XL), USA region ctrtransfer image is downloaded from the magnet link named - New 3DS or 2DS - 11.5.0 - USA - CTRTransfer.
  • Downloading from a magnet link requires a bittorrent client program such as Deluge or qBittorrent.
  • That image is contained within a ZIP archive called 11.5.0-38U_ctrtransfer_n3ds.zip.
  • ZIP, RAR, 7Z archives can be opened with another program like WinRAR or 7-Zip.
  • That above mentioned ZIP will likewise have the files, 11.5.0-38U_ctrtransfer_n3ds.bin & *.sha.
Edit - * In bulletin 2, had to specify that the image is not for o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

JohnIsBroken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • As will be pointed out to you for the 5th time, the ctrtransfer images are found at [3ds.hacks.guide] CTRTransfer.
  • The * New (2/3)DS(XL), USA region ctrtransfer image is downloaded from the magnet link named - New 3DS or 2DS - 11.5.0 - USA - CTRTransfer.
  • Downloading from a magnet link requires a bittorrent client program such as Deluge or qBittorrent.
  • That image is contained within a ZIP archive called 11.5.0-38U_ctrtransfer_n3ds.zip.
  • ZIP, RAR, 7Z archives can be opened with another program like WinRAR or 7-Zip.
  • That above mentioned ZIP will likewise have the files, 11.5.0-38U_ctrtransfer_n3ds.bin & *.sha.
Edit - * In bulletin 2, had to specify that the image is not for o3DS, o3DSXL, and o2DS.
And like I said, I’ve done this numerous times but each time, the .zip file doesn’t contain a .bin file. It only contains a .gm9, a .bin file is nowhere to be found in it.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Hayato213,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by Hayato213,
Reactions: zfreeman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And like I said, I’ve done this numerous times but each time, the .zip file doesn’t contain a .bin file. It only contains a .gm9, a .bin file is nowhere to be found in it.
If you took the time and clicked on the link we've been giving you, you would have downloaded the correct ZIP archive containing the ctrtransfer image.

What you've been downloading instead is the CTRTransfer (Type D9).gm9 script found within the CTRTransfer.Type.D9.v1.9.zip at the [GitHub] CTRTransfer (Type D9), releases page. This isn't the same thing as the ctrtransfer images found at [3ds.hacks.guide] CTRTransfer.

EDIT - Do you know underlined and bolded words/sentences are hyperlinks?

Reactions: zfreeman

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, Well when i use 3ds Hacks Guide, it didn’t contain the right file. I kept getting a .gm9 and not a .bin like mentioned, and I need the .bin for the ctrtransfer

I just download it, it has the .bin format image, make sure you are getting the correct one.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    83.7 KB · Views: 343
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got the .bin file, but after following the steps, it appears that it did not work and it still just has a black screen
Then your next best chance would be to try repairing the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

Since you've shown confusion before on this distinction, keep in mind that [3ds.hacks.guide] CTRTransfer [aka, standard/official ctrtransfer] is not the same thing as CTRTransfer (Type D9) [alternative ctrtansfer].

JohnIsBroken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then your next best chance would be to try repairing the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

Since you've shown confusion before on this distinction, keep in mind that [3ds.hacks.guide] CTRTransfer [aka, standard/official ctrtransfer] is not the same thing as CTRTransfer (Type D9) [alternative ctrtansfer].
I tried this, and now GodMode9 doesn’t even show up after holding start. It is still bricked but all the files were in the right spots, what do you think went wrong?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this, and now GodMode9 doesn’t even show up after holding start. It is still bricked but all the files were in the right spots, what do you think went wrong?
Turn on the n2DSXL and quickly press & hold the (SELECT) button. Does the Luma3DS v10.2 configuration appears?

If that screen shows up, your n2DSXL stills has custom firmware. There is a known bug where GodMode9 might not load from Luma3DS chainloader if it is the only FIRM payload. See if you can get GodMode9 to launch by adding another payload on the SD card.
  • sdmc:/
    • luma/
      • payloads/
        • GodMode9.firm
        • GodMode9 (copy).firm

As to the possible reasons why your n2DSXL isn't booting to HOME Menu,
  • (1) You were using an EmuNAND setup. This secondary 3DS firmware created on the SD card is what bricked. The CTRTransfer and CTRTransfer (Type D9) done to the n2DSXL were targeting their repairs on the SysNAND (primary 3DS firmware on the onboard NAND). Check that the Luma3DS v10.2 configuration does not have the (x) Autoboot EmuNAND option selected.
  • (3) When CTRTransfer and CTRTransfer (Type D9) were performed, the 3DS + custom firmwares were reflashed using a bad SD card. If you did not take adequate measures following those extremely crucial steps 1–4 in the (Type D9)'s Instructions where a fake/faulty/dying SD card was not caught, rejected, and replaced with a good card beforehand, the reflash can result in horrendously softbricking the firmwares.
  • (4) A miscellaneous hardware component such as the camera or WiFi module has died. The n2DSXL refuses to boot to HOME Menu if the motherboard fails to communicate with one or more of its accessory parts.

JohnIsBroken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn on the n2DSXL and quickly press & hold the (SELECT) button. Does the Luma3DS v10.2 configuration appears?

If that screen shows up, your n2DSXL stills has custom firmware. There is a known bug where GodMode9 might not load from Luma3DS chainloader if it is the only FIRM payload. See if you can get GodMode9 to launch by adding another payload on the SD card.
    • luma/
      • payloads/
        • GodMode9.firm
        • GodMode9 (copy).firm

• (1) You were using an EmuNAND setup. This secondary 3DS firmware created on the SD card is what bricked. The CTRTransfer and CTRTransfer (Type D9) done to the n2DSXL were targeting their repairs on the SysNAND (primary 3DS firmware on the onboard NAND). Check that the Luma3DS v10.2 configuration does not have the (x) Autoboot EmuNAND option selected.
  • (3) When CTRTransfer and CTRTransfer (Type D9) were performed, the 3DS + custom firmwares were reflashed using a bad SD card. If you did not take adequate measures following those extremely crucial steps 1–4 in the (Type D9)'s Instructions where a fake/faulty/dying SD card was not caught, rejected, and replaced with a good card beforehand, the reflash can result in horrendously softbricking the firmwares.
  • (4) A miscellaneous hardware component such as the camera or WiFi module has died. The n2DSXL refuses to boot to HOME Menu if the motherboard fails to communicate with one or more of its accessory parts.
Thank you, I got the CTRTransfer (Type D9) to work. Ok i was mid writing this about to say that it did not work and will not turn on but it just did thank you so much!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

• luma/
      • payloads/
        • GodMode9.firm
        • GodMode9 (copy).firm

Actually, I do have one question. I used a temp sd card, can i just put my old one back in? Or is there anything else i need to do beforehand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.