Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CanadaX21 said:
Me and a buddy are looking into building a performance desktop for ~ $1500, and haven't gotten very far yet lol

So far we've decided on
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Gene
Processor Intel Core i7-950

That's eating up about $500 so far and we're looking into cases. Would we be limited to what type of case we can get because it's a micro-atx motherboard?
Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a case, I'm hoping to find one for ~$100 - 150

I'll probably be using this thread to ask more questions as we go along, so thanks in advance for any help
tongue.gif
You sure you want Micro-ATX? It'll be cramped and air flow will be restricted. i7 needs good air flow for heat dissipation.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The "most powerful desktop" PC in the world (at least it was a couple months ago) uses a Core i7-980X on a Rampage III Gene in an Antec 300 case. That said, it used externally powered liquid cooling.

The small jump in price to the 2600K is an understatement to the large jump in performance, but don't get the Asus Sabertooth P67 just yet (if you do decide to get it) - the entire "recall" fiasco is about the Intel series 6 chipset used in P/H67 motherboards (not the actual CPU itself). Even then, not every motherboard was affected (I think it was a 30% chance or something like that - Gigabyte has released tools to check if a motherboard is at risk or not).

Incase you didn't read it from the other thread, the issue is about the SATA2 controller degrading, which'll pretty much lose functionality after around 3 years. The SATA3 controller works fine though, so if you're happy with just 2 drives (unless you use a PCI card for more) then there's no reason to hold back.

EDIT: Might aswell add this: I use an Antec 1200 case. It's huge on the outside, huge on the inside, and has tremendous airflow throughout the system (the reason why I bought it).

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Lian Li are known for making quality cases with removable motherboard/hard drive trays, although there are a couple of their cases with a glaring design flaw - no air circulation for the graphics card(s).

Of the big brands, Cooler Master have the most bad cases, although they do also have some amazing cases. My brother has a CM Cosmos 1000, which makes the powerful machine inside very quiet (useful for being in Uni). The only downside - very heavy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is gta v or call of duty still up?