Help with computer cases

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CanadaX21, Feb 14, 2011.

Feb 14, 2011

Help with computer cases by CanadaX21 at 6:00 AM (778 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. CanadaX21
    OP

Newcomer CanadaX21 Advanced Member

United States
    [Removed]

Last edited by CanadaX21, Aug 16, 2016
  2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    You sure you want Micro-ATX? It'll be cramped and air flow will be restricted. i7 needs good air flow for heat dissipation.

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You should wait for the Sandy Bridge CPUs to be re-released. It would suck to have to buy a 950 now.

4. CanadaX21
    OP

Newcomer CanadaX21 Advanced Member

United States
    [Removed]

Last edited by CanadaX21, Aug 16, 2016
  5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The "most powerful desktop" PC in the world (at least it was a couple months ago) uses a Core i7-980X on a Rampage III Gene in an Antec 300 case. That said, it used externally powered liquid cooling.

The small jump in price to the 2600K is an understatement to the large jump in performance, but don't get the Asus Sabertooth P67 just yet (if you do decide to get it) - the entire "recall" fiasco is about the Intel series 6 chipset used in P/H67 motherboards (not the actual CPU itself). Even then, not every motherboard was affected (I think it was a 30% chance or something like that - Gigabyte has released tools to check if a motherboard is at risk or not).

Incase you didn't read it from the other thread, the issue is about the SATA2 controller degrading, which'll pretty much lose functionality after around 3 years. The SATA3 controller works fine though, so if you're happy with just 2 drives (unless you use a PCI card for more) then there's no reason to hold back.

EDIT: Might aswell add this: I use an Antec 1200 case. It's huge on the outside, huge on the inside, and has tremendous airflow throughout the system (the reason why I bought it).

6. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  7. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    thermaltake coolermaster or Lian Li aluminium cases are the best IMO

8. matt1freek

Member matt1freek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm quite fond of the raidmax smilodon line of cases.. it has a fold out mobo rack.. handy for someone like me whos always tinkering [​IMG]

9. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    You can try the Silverstone FT03, i got it last week, pretty happy with it.

10. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Lian Li are known for making quality cases with removable motherboard/hard drive trays, although there are a couple of their cases with a glaring design flaw - no air circulation for the graphics card(s).

Of the big brands, Cooler Master have the most bad cases, although they do also have some amazing cases. My brother has a CM Cosmos 1000, which makes the powerful machine inside very quiet (useful for being in Uni). The only downside - very heavy.