Homebrew [Help wanted] DualHexen issues in DSi.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if anyone is interested in making changes to this I did create a version with minimal changes to build with current devkitarm and libnds versions. I also made some minor changes to use more memory in dsi mode, set the detail to high by default, and fixed an issue with the save code. the save code required the folder "/data/hexen/" to exist. I added code to create the path. not ideal but I changed the path to "./data/hexen/" - the reasoning is that it should work with launchers that support current directory and those that don't. and for launchers that do support current directory it will keep the save games in the same folder.
I only tested this so far as completing the first level.

https://github.com/elhobbs/dualHexen

edit: I enabled the code to allow argv/command line parameters to be processed, but I did not test it at all.

Last edited by elhobbs,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I enabled the code to allow argv/command line parameters to be processed, but I did not test it at all.
This is very, very interesting. And it's just what I was looking for. 😊 As for me, I will test it in the coming days. Yet another thank you for yet another, much appreciated, unexpected intervention of yours. If I understand correctly, it is to be used by setting DSi mode, right? But by doing so, will the touch screen work? Well, I will try it immediately to verify....

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very, very interesting. And it's just what I was looking for. 😊 As for me, I will test it in the coming days. Yet another thank you for yet another, much appreciated, unexpected intervention of yours. If I understand correctly, it is to be used by setting DSi mode, right? But by doing so, will the touch screen work? Well, I will try it immediately to verify....
yes, touchscreen works in dsi mode. it uses 12mb of heap in dsi mode and 2mb in ds mode. in fact I only tested in dsi mode. I suspect level changes and saves won't work in ds mode - but they have been working fine for me in dsi mode,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@elhobbs I tried the new version and it works, but it still starts without the sky and with crude graphics.
Instead I tried to start DualHexen.nds via hbmenu but sadly it gives two black screens and locked the console. Of course even with .argv file containing e.g. "DualHexen.nds -file hexDD.wad" it crashes. 😢

Even with the old version of DualHexen launching it via HBmenu the former would crash. They seem to be incompatible. Is there perhaps an alternative homebrew launcher to try?

Side note: by DS mode I don't mean via slot1 (flashcart), but by setting it as an option in TwilightMenu++ by pressing Y on the Hexen icon: strangely enough you can set DS mode with DSi RAM at the same time...🤔

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@elhobbs I tried the new version and it works, but it still starts without the sky and with crude graphics.
Instead I tried to start DualHexen.nds via hbmenu but sadly it gives two black screens and locked the console. Of course even with .argv file containing e.g. "DualHexen.nds -file hexDD.wad" it crashes. 😢

Even with the old version of DualHexen launching it via HBmenu the former would crash. They seem to be incompatible. Is there perhaps an alternative homebrew launcher to try?

Side note: by DS mode I don't mean via slot1 (flashcart), but by setting it as an option in TwilightMenu++ by pressing Y on the Hexen icon: strangely enough you can set DS mode with DSi RAM at the same time...🤔
I am using memory pit which launches hbmenu. I then start dualHexen.nds
the HEXEN.WAD file I am using is 20,083,672 bytes. I am using the wad from steam which I think has all of the latest patches applied. Is your wad file different?

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Working great here except high GFX at start (needs to be turned on in the options). ARGV file working :)

1.jpg

Reactions: Tarmfot

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am using memory pit which launches hbmenu. I then start dualHexen.nds
the HEXEN.WAD file I am using is 20,083,672 bytes. I am using the wad from steam which I think has all of the latest patches applied. Is your wad file different
The one from archive.org, then I will check the size. I use Flipnote but I can try Memory Pit. Hexen.wad is content in the data/Hexen/ folder. I have to have dinner now though, sorry...
See you later.😉

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The size of Hexen.wad is exactly the same. HBmenu is the latest version, and it works e.g. by launching DSDoom + argv file.
With both Memory Pit and Flipnote I access TwilightMenu++ and launch HBmenu, I select DualHexen and it crashes to black screens.
I can't figure out what the problem is....

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Working great here except high GFX at start (needs to be turned on in the options). ARGV file working :)

View attachment 317427
highdetail was already turned on. there is a second variable that controls the menu state -
allowskydisplay. toggling the option on the menu sets both of these values. the change I made originally neglected
allowskydisplay - so they were out of sync. I pushed the change to git.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you launch the argv file from TW++ directly, what happens ?
@CrashMidnick Good news. After recopying the latest version it now works again. Also, as you had suggested, launching the argv file from TwilightMenu++ also makes the addons work. Thanks to you and again to the brilliant @elhobbs . I will have a chance to test it again tomorrow, after work.😉

Reactions: CrashMidnick

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With cheretic, cquake, DSDoom and now enhanced DualHexen (and the ability to play with all of these the hundreds of user wads available) the DSi has truly become the ultimate handheld for old FPS games !!! To hell with the 3DS, which I just bought (used but in great condition) to no avail, since I'll never use it, I'm afraid (unless someone will port there Monolith's Blood... hehehe)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
With cheretic, cquake, DSDoom and now DualHexen improved, the DSi has truly become the ultimate handheld for old FPS games !!! To hell with the 3DS, which I just bought (used but in great condition) to no avail, since I'll never use it, I'm afraid (unless someone will port there Monolith's Blood... hehehe)
For sure the DS/DSi is a great console for hombrews taking into account its low specs. I just wish that someone will work on a good port of Duke3D :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game