Help restoring my 3DS to factory settings?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Crumpleton, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Crumpleton
    OP

Crumpleton Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    I have an old New 3DS that I'd installed Luma 6.6 to. Intending to restore it to factory settings, I reset the system, deleting everything from it, and wiped the microSD card clean. Then I updated it to the most recent firmware, expecting that to be that (I know, I'm a dummy)

However, Luma 6.6 is still installed. When I power it on while holding Select, the Luma screen still comes up. I looked up ways to delete Luma, but it seems that most of them require it to be updated to 7.0, and mine's stuck on 6.6. Any advice on what to do? It's not a massive deal, but I'd rather have it restored to factory settings in case I decide to sell it later.

2. ElementalBliss

ElementalBliss Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2018
    United States
    Dalton, GA
    Why not update just Luma then follow what you find to restore it?

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You probably have A9LH? The easiest way to remove A9LH (or, for that matter, any other coldboot exploit) is to restore the nand backup you undoubtly diligently made before installing it :)
    (especially on a N3DS, where you can't remove A9LH just by writing an official kernel to the kernel partitions, but you need to restore the secret sector too)

Failing that, update to B9S (which includes restoring the secret sector), then remove it as said by @ElementalBliss

"Removing luma" is simple - just remove it from the SD and/or internal storage (and is not your real question)

4. Crumpleton
    OP

Crumpleton Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    Alright, giving this a shot. Apologies for getting the terminology wrong, I'm pretty new to all this.

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
  6. Crumpleton
    OP

Crumpleton Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    It worked! Thanks so much for the help.