Hardware HELP please! O3dsxl blue light / black screen of death question

Kelly_Overtone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys~! I've got an issue here that I've tried about everything, and searched endlessly online already also trying
to figure out what the ever-living HeLL?! LoL I've repaired a bunch of 3ds's and I've seen this issue a couple times b4, I believe
what I did what just use them up for individual parts..
Anyway~ so right now I've got a couple of O3dsxl's that I picked up on Ebay, and I figured that not booting up, then as usual!
they likely needed top screen replacements..

System 1: Solid blue light, backlit screens, flashing yellow wifi light
System 2: Solid blue light, black screens not backlit, no yellow wifi light
Both system charge, orange light stays lit as normal.
*I don't think this matters? But it is ironic that both systems happen to be the Super Smash Bros. special editions
(I've had other SSB editions w/ no problems though :) :)

Okay, so what all I've tried:
Put the motherboard in a known working unit; same behavior w/ the solid blue and yellow lights.
Then I stuck in a working motherboard to ensure that screens, camera etc.. are all working parts. Indeed they are
Neither system came with its SD card, but I loaded the basic cfw files setup and stuck that in. Tried a couple different versions of Luma. Nothing.
I've tried L+R+up+A+power, and L+R+B+down+power. Nothing. (Well, same thing w/ the lights.)
Inspected the boards carefully, there doesn't seem to be any physical damage to the zif connectors, nor any evidence of moisure damage or anything.
And I checked the fuses too. Anyone know what's wrong with either of these systems? What is it that they want? haha
OH one other thing~ System 1 the screens stay backlit even when it's closed, makes me think it's stuck in sleep mode?
Or actually rather, it's NOT entering sleep mode when closed...again the screens work as normal when I put a working motherboard in.

Thanks so much for any help!!

Reactions: Stealphie

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys~! I've got an issue here that I've tried about everything, and searched endlessly online already also trying
to figure out what the ever-living HeLL?! LoL I've repaired a bunch of 3ds's and I've seen this issue a couple times b4, I believe
what I did what just use them up for individual parts..
Anyway~ so right now I've got a couple of O3dsxl's that I picked up on Ebay, and I figured that not booting up, then as usual!
they likely needed top screen replacements..

System 1: Solid blue light, backlit screens, flashing yellow wifi light
System 2: Solid blue light, black screens not backlit, no yellow wifi light
Both system charge, orange light stays lit as normal.
*I don't think this matters? But it is ironic that both systems happen to be the Super Smash Bros. special editions
(I've had other SSB editions w/ no problems though :) :)

Okay, so what all I've tried:
Put the motherboard in a known working unit; same behavior w/ the solid blue and yellow lights.
Then I stuck in a working motherboard to ensure that screens, camera etc.. are all working parts. Indeed they are
Neither system came with its SD card, but I loaded the basic cfw files setup and stuck that in. Tried a couple different versions of Luma. Nothing.
I've tried L+R+up+A+power, and L+R+B+down+power. Nothing. (Well, same thing w/ the lights.)
Inspected the boards carefully, there doesn't seem to be any physical damage to the zif connectors, nor any evidence of moisure damage or anything.
And I checked the fuses too. Anyone know what's wrong with either of these systems? What is it that they want? haha
OH one other thing~ System 1 the screens stay backlit even when it's closed, makes me think it's stuck in sleep mode?
Or actually rather, it's NOT entering sleep mode when closed...again the screens work as normal when I put a working motherboard in.

Thanks so much for any help!!
Not much. But have you ran magnets over the sleep mode area to see if it triggers the switch to wake it?

Kelly_Overtone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not much. But have you ran magnets over the sleep mode area to see if it triggers the switch to wake it?

Yes I have actually, when I put a magnet over the ABXY buttons,
it triggers the screens to go off, but sadly it doesn't allow it to boot up, even if I leave it there while powered off and try to
power it on w/ the magnet there.

Ender3Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you know whether the system with flashing wireless ever had CFW?
If you're unsure, try adding the latest releases of Luma3DS and GodMode9 to the 3DS's SD card.
I was able to solve this particular brick by removing all Luma config files and then replacing boot.firm and boot.3dsx with backup versions on my N3DSXL.

Kelly_Overtone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you possess a ntrboot compatible DS flashcart? System #2 seems like a softbrick by frankenfirm or uninstalled custom firmware.

Yes I do actually; I have a R4 SDHC Gold Pro 2018, and an R4 B9S 3DS
Do you have a link w/ the know-how, how to do that? Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you know whether the system with flashing wireless ever had CFW?
If you're unsure, try adding the latest releases of Luma3DS and GodMode9 to the 3DS's SD card.
I was able to solve this particular brick by removing all Luma config files and then replacing boot.firm and boot.3dsx with backup versions on my N3DSXL.

Have no idea if it had cfw or not, I did try putting it on the sd card though. What exactly do you mean when you said replacing boot.firm and boot.3dsx with backup versions? What backup versions? Thank you!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I do actually; I have a R4 SDHC Gold Pro 2018, and an R4 B9S 3DS
Do you have a link w/ the know-how, how to do that? Thanks!
For one of the flashcarts, dump its original DS mode flashrom, reflash it into ntrboot mode, and then follow the ntrboot method's procedure rehacking that 2nd o3DSXL with the magnet, button combo, files, etc.

If everything is done correctly and assuming the brick isn't waterboard damage, you'll know there's life left in that motherboard when you see the SafeB9SInstaller screen.

Edit - (Underlined) link from the official guide was provided back in post #5.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1