WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
couple of weeks ago, i asked some questions bout which flashcart to get to play commercial gba games on NDS. well i got an EZ flash IV just today, but i dunno how to use it.

i dled the EZ IV client and EZ 4 kernel from this site here
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/about719.html?t=719

but im not sure which file do i need to copy to my micro sd card, can anyone help me with this? step by step on what do i need to do until i can play gba games?

also is there any tool to trim the gba rom?

i read around and i need a GBA naming file yeh? whats that? and i dont play NDS games with my EZ IV, i used an R4 so i dont need an NDS naming file, is that correct?

thx a lot

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That client is very much out of date, grab it from the EZ4 section of the site:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=...793&start=0
(there are two files: a patch update and a client pack. Nothing new has happened in GBA world for about 2 years now so you can ignore the update if you want).

In the 7zip file from the link above there will be a file called
ezfla_up.bin
Add this to the root of the memory card and old R when booting up.
This will update the loader (the one included in the download goes by the name of modulo's RESET loader if you do any more reading and is currently the best loader).

Getting roms onto the card.
Along with that download is a program called EZ4_Client
Run it and the rest should be fairly self explanatory: click open and select what you want to send (they can be in zip/rar format if you like) and press send. Wait for it to finish and you can put the card back in the EZ4 and into your DS.
You can either load the GBA loader from the menu (it will be auto selected in GBA hardware) or use the nopass function/let flashme run it to get the DS loader (both work fine but the DS one is nominally faster and has touchscreen support)

GBA naming list: GBA roms have a fairly unique header so you can make a list and assign names to the roms on it. My list is for the pure rom set but nothing really messes with the headers (some really old dumps that were later nuked had bad headers but you would be hard pressed to find them).
My list is from February so some of the latest roms will not have names and will be send to the cart as .gba. I suggest adding them one by one if you want them (and they are largely region dupes and shovelware) and adding a name to the box in the top left corner. I will update the list at some point in the not too distant future (probably when another update comes).
And yes if you only want GBA you do not need a DS naming list (although the same add it to the top left box thing applies if the list is out of date).
Sidenote on GBA naming: there is a bug in the loader that means some games (mario games are the big one) need to use 8:3 naming (8 characters or less and the extension .gba). On the occasion a game does not save simply rename the game and the save with an 8:3 name (the bug is with loading the save so you should still have the save you made). If I remember I will 8:3 the problem games in the next names list update.

GBA roms are trimmed automatically by EZ4Client.

Your second option is to use rudolph's tools and store the GBA roms on your R4. I am not sure about this one having never done it but it is the same as the 3 in 1 for which there are many threads.

Other tools:
GBATA it is able to patch, trim, IPS patch and much more. Have it for the one or two occasions GBA roms do not patch properly with EZ4 Client.
http://gbadat.altervista.org/datset.htm

Trolleydave also added patching to one of his tools so that may be worth a look.

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
u said there r 2 files that i need to dl, a patch update and a client pack, which one is the latest? or can u just give me the link to it?

is it these ones?
EZ4Client datecode 20061010 ver.1.03 Click to download

Updated 25th of February.
Fixes for 0998 Harvest Moon DS (E) and 1964/1968 Advance Wars - Dark Conflict (E) and (U).
Mirror:
http://www.4shared.com/file/38969497/71 ... thFeb.html

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The EZTeam tend to only release patch updates as that is all that is needed most of the time. Occasionally I or someone else roll it all up into a pack with tools/naming lists/whatever.
That link is where it is all published but as I use 4shared for a file host the file names change each time.

The first is the patch update and can be grabbed from (the link below comes with a patch that will work fine for GBA and most DS games)
http://www.4shared.com/file/38969497/7172a...tch25thFeb.html

The second is the whole client pack with tools, lists and whatnot but as I only made it a few days earlier for someone I did not bother to roll it all up again.
Link to that
http://www.4shared.com/file/38644523/edd5e...d_Feb_2008.html

As I said though 4shared changes so there is no download this link and it will be the latest of everything, at least not from me.

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
do i copy everything in the client pack to my micro sd? or do i just straight away adding roms using the EZ4_Client?

and from the 2 link that u gave me where can i find the ezfla_up.bin that u said i need to copy into the root of the microsd and hold R?

sorry i really dun understand bout all this, and thx for ur help

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can have the client pack on the microSD if you like (one of my cards does in case I end up at another machine) but you can just unzip it where you like and run it right away.

ezfla_up.bin should be in the main pack called just that.

Oh and remember to format the card to FAT16 (just called FAT in the normal windows format option) rather than FAT32.

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i read around and some ppl said something bout the save files. how sometimes it doesnt save or the save files is missing and they need to somehow patch it. can u tell me anything bout this before i lose a save files or its just straightforward save game like normal?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you are reading about the 3 in 1 and third party tools more than the EZ4.

Saves are made when you send the rom with EZ4 Client and then the game saves to the SRAM of the cart (the reason you have a battery) before saving to the ?SD card on the next reboot.
You can skip the save being saved on the ?SD card when it is doing it but you also have the option to force it to save regardless by going into the options menu.

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ah k, so with EZ4 i can just save normally yeh, i dun need to do anything. and say if i modify a save file in my computer and i want to transfer it to my micro sd card, do i just drag and drop it into the micro sd or do i need to send it with the EZ4_client?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First make sure to load another game before swapping the save or you run the risk of having your new save overwritten.

Other than that it is just drag and drop.

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok i copy everything to my micro sd and it works, but the writing is in chinese, how do i change it to english?

now question bout the ez client, which save type do i choose? SRAM type, EEPROM type, or flash type? and which should i choose 512 k bits for the size? and should i check on the add save patch and reset option underneath it?

ness2728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey -

Hopefully I'm not too late to jump in on this conversation. I ordered an EZFlash IV lite compact that I have to go pick up from the post office today, so I'm trying to get my microSD all squared away and ready.

Here's what I've done:

1) extracted everything from the EX4Client22nd_feb_2007.7z onto the root directory of my microSD card
2) used the EZ4_Client.exe to send several GBA roms to a folder I created called "GBA" on the root of my card

That's where I'm at. Anything else I need to to? Thanks!

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the chinese writing came up when i boot it by itself, then i tried to boot it with my R4 and it came out in english so thats fine.

before i got this, i played gba games in virtual boy so i got some save files that i wish to transfer to the EZ4. so what i did, i tried the game with my ds and saved it. after that i just delete the save files from the micro SD and copy paste my old save file, the save file from the virtual boy advance. then i tried the game with my ds, but it didnt show the save file from the virtual boy, it showed the save file that i deleted before. how do i fix this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ness2728 the EZ4 lite compact is limited to the smaller GBA roms (8 megabyte as I recall) but other than that it is fine. You are limited to 80 files per directory but making a new directory is not hard.

@WereJackal
I have not got a copy of VBA to hand but under the file menu should be export and then battery file. Rename to match and then copy across.

To change the stock GBA menu to English wait for it to load up
hit down 3 times
hit a three times
hit down
hit a one last time.
The save I mentioned earlier are below this as well.

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fixed the language to english, thx a lot

bout the save underneath the language, should i pick auto saving or obligued saving? whats the difference? whats a battery file?

question bout the ez client, which save type do i choose? SRAM type, EEPROM type, or flash type? and which should i choose 512 k bits for the size? and should i check on the add save patch and reset option underneath it? what is it for anyway?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Auto: automatically saves but you have the option to cancel it
Obliged: automatically saves but you do not have the option to cancel it (some people were accidentally hitting the skip button)

Save type: means nothing as does size (save type and size are able to be read from the rom unlike the DS)

Save patch: It automatically does whether you check it or not.

Reset: soft reset. Works well enough for some but the power button is a finger movement away.

ness2728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is unfortunate.

I'm trying to load a GBA game, and none of them work. Even a file that is 7,040kb gives me an error of "WARNING This card do not support GBA g"

So.... um.....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you update the loader? The cart originally did not support GBA at all but an update added support for small roms.

WereJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i still cant trasnfer my virtual boy save to my EZ4, i even tried to delete everything and send the rom again through ez4 client, and copy paste the save file straight away, but when i load the game, it always showed the save file that i alrdy delete from before. how do i fix this? i alrdy delete the save file, but it keeps showing in the game.

heres what happen, i try to explain it clearly. i tried the game before on my ds and save on chapter 1 just to try if the save is working. i alrdy play that game and im up to chapter 20, so obviously i want that chapter 20 save on my EZ4. i delete teh chapter 1 save from the micro sd and copy paste the chapter 20 save files. when i load the game, it still give me the chapter 1 save file. what am i doing wrong?

EDIT:
OMG i know what happen now. when it patch the game, it rename the file with (UA) at the end and i tought its messy so i delete it. so then i tried to not changing it and rename my VBA save file with that (UA) thing at the back and it worked
smile.gif
, im happy now

anyway thx a lot FAST6191, i appreciate ur help, i can play them perfectly with my EZ4 now, thx a lot
smile.gif

EDIT 2:
damn the name thing was just a coincidence i guess. i transfer some other save file and it didnt work this time. i prob did something that i dunno what and made it work but i dunno how to do it again. i still need help with this, ne 1 know how to do it?

BoomtownBilly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but, my friend just got this cart and it never seems to save the saves, he boots up river city creates a save then boots up car battler joe and creates a save, when he goes back to river city that save is gone?

does he need to charge the card?

*solved!

Use the EZ4 program to transfer files, it creates a saver folder and actually does work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: +1