Hacking Help me choose Best (or close to best) micro sd card

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I need help choosing a good micro sd card for my M3 Real. The kingston 2GB card i had for about a year died on me today in the morning so i am now considering buying a new card.

I have read from some members's posts that A-Data and Transcend are very popular choices. I was looking for a 4GB class 6 memory and i found this one in amazon.

I want to know how good is this card from owners or previous owners of this brand of cards and i also want to know if this is a good match for my M3 Real (good compatibility) before making the purchase.

Thank you for the help guys and sorry if i am being obnoxious. I know there are lots of posts like this but i have become paranoid since my card died today and i wanted to hear from you if i am making a good decision.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean it died? You can't reformat it, even in a camera or cell phone?

Kingston microSD cards have a lifetime warranty, so if that's true you could always get yours replaced for free.

-Bri

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
What do you mean it died? You can't reformat it, even in a camera or cell phone?

Kingston microSD cards have a lifetime warranty, so if that's true you could always get yours replaced for free.

-Bri

This is what happened:

In the early morning, i downloaded Ouendan and tried to transfer it to my micro sd. Just then, an usual problem (at least on this computer and on my friend's) came up: it wouldnt let me open the micro sd saying that it couldn't access it. What i normally do to get around that problem is that i open windows explorer and access it from there. Its some sort of stupid virus that installs itself to the root of the card and has an autorun file in case it gets deleted so it can install itself again.

I have dealt with this problem many times before, so what i did was open the command prompt, run the following command "attrib -h -s E:*.* /s /d" and then i delete it from the root when it becomes visible. If you are wondering why i didnt just run an antivirus check its because the stupid antivirus wouldnt find it, so i had to do it manually. This time though, i encountered something weird: the usual number of suspect files and their respective filenames were different from what i had encountered before. No biggy, i just ran the antivirus on them and it did find them and eliminated them.

After that, the device worked fine: i could open it normally by double-clicking it in My Computer and after running another virus check on the whole drive and making sure it was clean i went ahead and copied ouendan to the drive. Plugged my micro sd in my M3 Real and began playing it but just as i finished playing and began preparing to shutdown my computer i noticed on these forums the news that dragon quest 5 got dumped and i decided to download it.

When i ran the rom in my DS i could only see ERROR:MID instead of what was supposed to be dialogue. So I, thinking that maybe it had to do with having my DS language setting to japanese, turned off my DS and changed the language to english hoping it would get fixed (yes, i am stupid and naive at times, laugh at me
wacko.gif
) and thats when the problem started.

I couldnt boot up the M3 real; it just got stuck at the booting screen with the M3 real logo in the bottom screen, right corner. I decided to check the drive on my computer but it wont access it no matter what i do. The computer recognizes there is a disk but says it is unreadable. On the events manager, i found there were two error events:

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block.

RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library USB 2.0 SD/MMC Reader USB Device.

Funny that when i plugged my drive into the PC to transfer dragon quest i got an error saying that the removable disk needed to be formatted but i still was able to access it anyways and transfer all of my saves before it died. I even tried to access it on my friends pc but it wont let me, so i am pretty sure the card is fuxxored.

I am posting my problem just in case somebody has an idea on how to fix it. The idea that there is a virus (maybe the same virus that i eliminated before and that somehow managed to avoid complete deletion and hide itself) blocking me from accessing my drive still lingers in my head and its the only thing preventing me from throwing away the card.

Any of you guys knows if theres a way to fix bad blocks on a micro sd card? A software maybe?

And thanks for reading my long @$$ post(if any of you did)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, try the Panasonic formatter.

If that doesn't work, try formatting it in a camera or cell phone.

If that doesn't work, send it back to Kingston and get a new one for free.

-Bri

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried the panasonic formatter and it doesnt work. It says it cant be used on it. I am going to try to format it with a camera when i get the chance. As for sending it back to kingston thats out of the question since it's too difficult to send stuff from this country to anywhere in the world. I figured it would be better to just get a new and better one rather than going through the hassle of sending it to kingston.

xjenova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
NeverEden said:
It's two dollars cheaper if you get it without the adapter model...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208435

Try searching on newegg.com. =) Most of the time, they have slightly cheaper prices than amazon...

Thanks for the heads-up, i would go with newegg as well but i am afraid thats not an option. Newegg does not accept international credit cards. I know, i tried to buy my DS there once about a year ago and it wouldnt accept my card neither international paypal accounts.

I really wish it were easier to buy stuff internationally in this country. I cant help but feel sorry for many people who buy their DS's at about twice the value it's sold in the U.S.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1