Help. I bricked my a9lh nand and i need to get my saves back to my older nands

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mgrev, Sep 7, 2016.

1. mgrev
    OP

mgrev Legit Gladiator

Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    so i have decided to ask for help here on temp. damnit. i swore i would never do this, but it seems like i have to.
    SO. I was downgrading to 10.3 from 11.0 (a9lh ofc). it failed. now i can unbrick my 3ds and whatnot, but i NEED my saves for fe if and mirai dx. i still have the nintendo 3ds folder on my sd and w/e, but i don't have any save backups. is there anything i could do to move the saves to a "new nand" (aka ctrtransfer nand)? would it work if i reinstalled the games from an older nand (which would still use the same folders)?

2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    IIRC, sadly, no as the CIA saves are NAND specific.
    You make a new NAND, the Nintendo 3DS folder associated with the old NAND is meaningless.
    Sorry, unless you made a backup via JKSM or something, there's nothing you can do :(
    The ONLY way to use the Nintendo 3DS folder is to restore an old NAND backup that has the same Nintendo 3DS Folder ID as the one you're using to play the games and upgrade, and the saves will(in theory, if already installed on the old NAND persist)

Last edited by Davidosky99, Sep 7, 2016
    Xenon Hacks likes this.
  3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Assuming the NAND is the same just on a lower firmware and you never performed a system format on that NAND back or the current bricked one you should be able to simply reinstall the games (they will say complete install immediately) and continue playing like normal.

4. mgrev
    OP

mgrev Legit Gladiator

Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    so you mean that if i restore an older nand (never formatted) and reinstall the games with freeshop (i think i had fe if installed on the older nand), i can just use my saves again?

5. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Yes because the Nintendo 3DS folder should still be the same, the only reason it would recreate it is if the NAND's are different because of a format.

6. astronautlevel

astronautlevel But he's a guy

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Siteā„¢
    Yeah, saves and game data are stored on the SD card, the only part of games related to the NAND is
    1. movable.sed for SD card encryption, regenerated every time your format
    2. The games ticket and entry in title.db
    If you restore a backup that was formatted the same number of times, the movable.sed, and thus SD card encryption, will be the same. Install the games through whatever again, it'll probably go quickly as the only thing that needs to be installed is the ticket, and your old games should work.

7. mgrev
    OP

mgrev Legit Gladiator

Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    So i fixed this in what i think was the best way possible. i dumped the ticket.db from my bricked nand, and restored an older version of the same nand, and injected the newer ticket.db
    everything works. thanks guys!