Hardware [HELP] Convert the original Wii Sensor Bar to USB ??

T-Rex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
cool, though I wish there was a simpler means then rewiring a sensor bar cord to plug it into a pc

In my case, i wish to connect in any device with USB entry to feed, for example, PS4 or line filter.
Because i play PS4 using Wiimote and i don't want use the Wii for that (two consoles powered at the same time makes the light bill more expensive).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That article shows the sensor with 3 LEDs... but my sensor have 5 LEDs, and now??

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case, i wish to connect in any device with USB entry to feed, for example, PS4 or line filter.
Because i play PS4 using Wiimote and i don't want use the Wii for that (two consoles powered at the same time makes the light bill more expensive).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That article shows the sensor with 3 LEDs... but my sensor have 5 LEDs, and now??

Snipping two off on each side should work. I believe they're wired parallel rather than series.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by Azel,

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just the heads up, I got one of those Adjustable Output DC Converter Step Up for aliexpress, and it works.

kept the original wii port, opened the sensorbar, soldered a 2 wire cable to + and gnd spot on the pcb, once plugged in, I put a multimeter on vcc and gnd on the wii sensor bar pcb, then slowly turned the screw until I got 7.25V (remove your screwdriver to check the real voltage, because you and the screwdriver add an offset of like 7mV)

why 7.25V ? this is the value I got from the same spot with the wii sensor bar plugged in via the wii sensor port, so just gotta match that.

Current draw is like 430-450mA on the usb(3) port.

gotta admit, I forgot to try to hook it up the usb plug to a wii or wiiu to try if it worked...

only drawback is if I plug both the usb (pc) and wii sensor bar plug (wii/wiiu), I'll probably just fry the leds lol.

There isn't a single Sensor Bar to USB adapter? Because if there was, you don't need to go through this hardmodding stuff.
I personally have no idea where to get a wii sensor bar port, to make an adapter, so maybe that's one issue. it's expansive to produce such a port, compared to the cost of 10leds and a usb port. (also it might be Nintendo proprietary)
(that being said, you can just buy this https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...sensor-bar-extension/2925115_32828570875.html
cut the cord, get this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7W-...t-DC-Converter-Step-Up-Boost/32825148673.html, solder + and gnd to each other, and you're done, 5$ adapter
for a cleaner result you can always put it in a box https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...n-control-box-switch/2658110_32758663445.html )

second issues is that you'll need more voltage than a usb1/2 cable can deliver on it's own to power the 10 leds in a sensor bar.
so you'll need a step up conveverter like I did, to do this right.

problem is, 3rd party manufacturing USB wii sensor bars want to maximize their profit, but can't power all 10leds on usb 5v without addind something more expansive than 10leds and a usb plus, so they just put 6leds or even less and hope for the best. (Nintendo put 10 for a reason lol)

Last edited by Azel,

Koksi__

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Last edited by Koksi__,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh yeah ? what about this then ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7W-...t-DC-Converter-Step-Up-Boost/32825148673.html

P = UxI
so I = P/U = 7w/7.5V = 0.93A (USB3 in 900mA max, 50mA per LED x 10 il fine.)
That's a boost converter, not a USB charger. USB charger would be something that plugs into the wall, which I assume is what OP meant (especially since he mentioned an Y-cable)
But that will probably work, it might shorten the lifetime of the LEDs though since they'll be getting more current.
It won't get 7W, because you have to consider that USB is 5V and therefore 5V * 500mA (as this device is likely not USB 3.0 compliant) is only 2.5W, but each LED won't need more than 20mA, and will run at almost full brightness on half that.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can take 2x 940nm IR LED and power it with a usb and the right resistor and you have a Sensor Bar.
I am using this for my wii portable:
https://m.de.aliexpress.com/wholesale/ir-led-940nm.html?categoryId=301108&channel=direct

The Sensor Bar is only for the wiimote to know the position.
The wiimote use this information and send it via bluetooth to the wii, or pc
yeah, but 10 is better than 2, for me ^^
That's a boost converter, not a USB charger. USB charger would be something that plugs into the wall, which I assume is what OP meant (especially since he mentioned an Y-cable)
But that will probably work, it might shorten the lifetime of the LEDs though since they'll be getting more current.
It won't get 7W, because you have to consider that USB is 5V and therefore 5V * 500mA (as this device is likely not USB 3.0 compliant) is only 2.5W, but each LED won't need more than 20mA, and will run at almost full brightness on half that.
yup, like I said, it draws like 450mA for converting and driving 10LEDs, works perfectly, just played an hour of sin and punishment2 with bluetooth passthrough mode.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sensor bar port is variable output so you can adjust the sensitivity. It doesn't use USB power values.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Like others has said, even two candle light will work. Normal IR LED won't take more than 20 mA and there is no way for a normal USB port to delivery 7W, buying a boost converter for this is way overkill.
How many LEDs you need? It depends on how far away you want to use your wiimote. I made myself a short sensor bar with only 2xIR LEDs disassemble from old remotes and works perfectly, (first version powered by 2xAA batteries and latest version by USB). Although I have never tested the maximum working distance, I just used it for my wiimote with Dolphin running on my desktop and a 20 inch monitor sitting about 30 inches away. The sensor bar is short to maintain a suitable viewing angle for the wiimote's camera.
Insisting on 10 LEDs for no reason is just silly.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not though, this way you can do an adapter sensor bar to usb, and use an unmidified og sensor bar, it's great if you don't own a tri-wing screwdriver too.
overkill ? the whole thing cost like 5$ though. the og bar asks for 7.25V, I'm just supplying it, nothing more.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
my mod costed me $0... all parts from my junk box.
you have the power socket for the original sensor bar? else you will have to stripe the cable and it isn't "original" anymore.
unless you really don't own a tri-wing screwdriver, the easiest way to adapt to 5V is cut away 2 LEDs from each side and add a current limiting resistor for safety. You got 4 spare LEDs too

Reactions: Azel

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, man, look, I'm sorry I did it in a less intrusive way (and apparently a wrong one) compared to you, can you find it in your heart to forgive my cheekiness ? thanks.

you can argue all you want 4 LEDs are better for tracking than 10 or something, maybe it's enough in YOUR setup, but maybe not the whole rest of the world, or is that too difficult to imagine ?

the cable I'm talking about to make the adapter would be a spare extention, obviously, like I posted above : https://de.aliexpress.com/store/pro...sensor-bar-extension/2925115_32828570875.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's the Florida meth