Help! Can't get SD Card slot working on 2018 Mega Drive Flashback HD

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by ChrisGreen, Sep 15, 2019.

1. ChrisGreen
    OP

ChrisGreen Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hi there

I've just bought a 2018 Mega Drive Flashback HD (the second release with the SD card slot).

I've updated it with the 20190226.img firmware from the ATGames site. This adds the SD Card slot to the menu, but I can't get a single card's contents to show-up (the SD Card menu item remains greyed out).

I've used a variety of cards, from old 8GB Class 4 cards all the way up to 32GB Class 10 cards. All formatted as Fat32. All are readable for installing the firmware update, but none show up in the actual UI. I have a folder on the card called GAME, inside which I have a selection of Mega Drive ROMs that I've used successfully on a real Mega Drive using an Everdrive cart.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here and how I can fix it please?

Thanks
    Chris

2. ChrisGreen
    OP

ChrisGreen Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Never mind, got to the bottom of it myself. The game roms need the suffix .md to be visible to the ATGames unit. No .md files present, it greys out the SD Card menu item, even though it can see and read/write backups to the card, as well as load firmware updates from it.

Also noticed that the Mega Drive Flashback HD seems to truncate filenames quite randomly. At first I thought it was restricted to 8 characters, then I spotted that it is showing some of my rom files that have more than 8 characters, but randomly clipping the last letter off the name. Odd, but working at least and working very well too. Now I've got it reading rom files, I'm very happy with the unit.

3. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
  4. ChrisGreen
    OP

ChrisGreen Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Looks like an interesting tool, don’t suppose there’s a MacOS version?

Thanks
    Chris

5. rrifonas

rrifonas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    Rename the files to .bin instead of .md.
    .md will clip the last letter of the file name.

6. ChrisGreen
    OP

ChrisGreen Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2019
    United Kingdom
    That's really helpful - thanks for the tip. Going to do some batch renaming of my ROM collection this evening, so will flip them all to .bin

Cheers
    Chris

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted