Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
Hi All,

I have been reading the Wii “Hacking Guide” on the CompleteSoftmodGuide website and am plucking up the courage to softmod my Korean Wii (purchased in 2009). Before I go ahead I would appreciate some help with the following:

1. After following the Guide for a Korean Wii with system menu 4.2K, will the system menu language change to English or still be the original Korean?

2. I have read in a number of places that after softmodding my Wii there is a danger of it being bricked due to installation of a later IOS from a games disk. Is it possible for my Wii to be bricked by this method after I have followed the above referred guide, and what would be the best method of preventing this whilst still being able to play new games?

3. I would like to load and play backed up games from a USB connected hard drive. Can you advise which application(s) can be safely installed on the modded Wii and used to do this? I would prefer to use one that can be controlled using the Wii remote as I don't like to get off my backside.

Many thanks……Franki

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. It will stay Korean, do NOT install System Menu 4.2U, 4.2E, or 4.2J as you will get bricked.
2. Load the games through whatever backup disk loader you decide to use; I recommend NeoGamma.
3. They all are controlled by the Wii remote. The best USB loaders are USB Loader GX, WiiFlow, and CFG USB loader

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Franki said:
Hi All,

I have been reading the Wii “Hacking Guide” on the CompleteSoftmodGuide website and am plucking up the courage to softmod my Korean Wii (purchased in 2009). Before I go ahead I would appreciate some help with the following:

2. I have read in a number of places that after softmodding my Wii there is a danger of it being bricked due to installation of a later IOS from a games disk. Is it possible for my Wii to be bricked by this method after I have followed the above referred guide, and what would be the best method of preventing this whilst still being able to play new games?

Many thanks……Franki

Newer games probably will tell you to officially update, just never do that
wink.gif

Play original games thru Gecko to bypass the Nintendo updates or use a prog like Priiloader to bypass the updates by settings.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Franki said:
Hi All,

1. After following the Guide for a Korean Wii with system menu 4.2K, will the system menu language change to English or still be the original Korean?

3. I would like to load and play backed up games from a USB connected hard drive. Can you advise which application(s) can be safely installed on the modded Wii and used to do this? I would prefer to use one that can be controlled using the Wii remote as I don't like to get off my backside.

Many thanks……Franki

Why would officially updating a non region changed Korean Wii brick it?

Would seem to expected to upgrade it over time
wacko.gif

I suggest to OP, follow the Complete Softmod Guide, and enable Priiloader (assuming its compatible with the K version), and block disk updates.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C.S.I. said:
Franki said:
Hi All,

Many thanks……Franki

Why would officially updating a non region changed Korean Wii brick it?

Would seem to expected to upgrade it over time
wacko.gif

I suggest to OP, follow the Complete Softmod Guide, and enable Priiloader (assuming its compatible with the K version), and block disk updates.

Best would be to update any IOS to the newest versions via DOP-Mii.
Running a full "official" update might not brick it but would likely remove any hacks applied from completesg...

zany76

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys!

I have a wii 4.2h and need to install homebrew? can you help me please? I tried with BannerBomb but it doesn't work: it says there is no vulnerable IOS installed.

please, help me!

thx

Jack

Posts merged

correction 4.2K...

Franki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
Many thanks for all your responses for which I fully appreciate your efforts. However, I’m still not clear on my item 2.

I have read that some game disks will auto load an IOS update that can brick a softmodded Wii. As my Wii is Korean language and my understanding of Korean is limited I am concerned that I may inadvertently update (and brick) my Wii when loading a later game. The response to this query seems to vary from recommending that I use a backup disk loader, to don’t update; or updating is not a problem but use Priiloader to block disk updates anyway?

It’s apparent that to play it safe I should use some application to block these games disk automatic updates, unless it can be categorically confirmed that these updates are not a problem. The three recommended in this thread being NeoGamma, Gecko and Priiloader, and my researched but limited understanding of these is as follows:

- NeoGamma is either a backup disk or USB device loader or both.
- Gecko is a tool to make the Wii region free. However the CompleteSoftmodGuide appears to say that attempting to make a 4.2K Wii region free is a complete no-no.
- Priiloader can prevent these auto updates but for some reasons gets bad press. The CompleteSoftmodGuide states that “many people were sorry of their installations and wanted to get rid of it”.

Could someone confirm how do these applications prevent automatic disk updates, whether they are compatible with a softmodded 4.2K Wii, and what is the reason people are sorry with their Priiloader installation?

I would really appreciate your further clarification and help as I really do not want to give those Nintendo guys the satisfaction of me having to buy a new Wii and games every time I relocate to a different country.

Many thanks…..Franki

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Neogamma doesnt work for me, so cannot comment. But is supposed to be both USB loader and Disk Launcher.

Gecko - No Idea.

Priiloader - Its a definite if you dont have bootmii as boot2, and use its hacks to block both Disk and Network updates.

Priiloader is a MUST if you dont have bootmii as boot2. Edit: For Korean Wii, have no experience - sorry.

Franki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
Franki said:
Many thanks for all your responses for which I fully appreciate your efforts. However, I’m still not clear on my item 2.

I have read that some game disks will auto load an IOS update that can brick a softmodded Wii. As my Wii is Korean language and my understanding of Korean is limited I am concerned that I may inadvertently update (and brick) my Wii when loading a later game. The response to this query seems to vary from recommending that I use a backup disk loader, to don’t update; or updating is not a problem but use Priiloader to block disk updates anyway?

It’s apparent that to play it safe I should use some application to block these games disk automatic updates, unless it can be categorically confirmed that these updates are not a problem. The three recommended in this thread being NeoGamma, Gecko and Priiloader, and my researched but limited understanding of these is as follows:

- NeoGamma is either a backup disk or USB device loader or both.
- Gecko is a tool to make the Wii region free. However the CompleteSoftmodGuide appears to say that attempting to make a 4.2K Wii region free is a complete no-no.
- Priiloader can prevent these auto updates but for some reasons gets bad press. The CompleteSoftmodGuide states that “many people were sorry of their installations and wanted to get rid of it”.

Could someone confirm how do these applications prevent automatic disk updates, whether they are compatible with a softmodded 4.2K Wii, and what is the reason people are sorry with their Priiloader installation?

I would really appreciate your further clarification and help as I really do not want to give those Nintendo guys the satisfaction of me having to buy a new Wii and games every time I relocate to a different country.

Many thanks…..Franki

Apologies if my questions are too boring but I would really appreciate some further help with this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-