Hacking Hello, I got a ps3 on 3.66 and need help deciding what to do.

ekolimits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I read up all the stickies and different posts here but with the recent developments concerning the 4.00 jailbreak, I am wondering what I should do.
I am looking to play backups of my games off of my internal hdd. Should I follow the softmod sticky? or jailbreak using 4.0 methods?
Any help would be appreciated. Plus how does hacking effect purchasing games like flower off of psn? Thank You.

The Masked Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On firmware 3.66, there's not much you can do. Here are your options:

-Use Progskeet so you can downgrade to 3.55. If you're willing to open up your PS3, then go for a downgrade.
-Upgrade to the latest 4.0 firmware and wait for a 4.0 jailbreak that is currently in the works. Although, the jailbreak won't support any backup managers, just homebrew. (KaKaRoToKs)

As for PSN, you only have access to PSN if you're on the latest firmware. For those who are in a hacked 3.55 PS3 don't have access to PSN. Something to keep in mind.

Edit:
I forgot to mention the E3 Flasher, but that also requires you to open up your PS3.

ekolimits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm wow. Thanks for the quick replies!
I do not want to open my ps3. if I downgrade to 3.55 and then install a cfw, can I donwload psn titles and install them somehow? The only question then becomes how will I purchase them...
I really want to play flower but I want to install my games to the hdd. And running emulators is always FUN!!! :yay:

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KaKaRoTo himself doesn't support piracy (not in public anyway, i'm sure his HDD is full of pirated games), but his mod will open 4.0 up to piracy. If I recall correctly, GeoBro didn't support piracy either. But cracking 4.0 is basically the entire battle, someone just needs to perform the victory dance and enable backup playing, which wouldn't take long.

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hmm wow. Thanks for the quick replies!
I do not want to open my ps3. if I downgrade to 3.55 and then install a cfw, can I donwload psn titles and install them somehow? The only question then becomes how will I purchase them...
I really want to play flower but I want to install my games to the hdd. And running emulators is always FUN!!! :yay:

If you want to downgrade it's your only option...
Some Psn games have been decrypted and you can install them without any problem (most of them are relased by duplex)​
for the others you can use ReActPSN (some say it's a little dangerous but I haven't tried so I can't tell...)​

ekolimits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for all the help! the internet is swamped with fake downgrade techniques that claim to need no hard mod... or is any of this true?
Plus there was a tutorial on jailbreaking 4.0 out now... the guys had broken english so i really dont know if i can trust him.
Maybe Im mistaken... is there really no way to downgrade without a mod?

ekolimits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i decided I would open my ps3. Its a slim so which would be better? e3 or progskeet? I know how to solder but i was interested in the e3 because it seems easy to install. How do they hold up against each other?

damn just checked the compatibility thread and my ps3 slim is cech 3001A... does any flasher work on it?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you are out of luck. You can not downgrade to a firmware that is below stock.
Your best bet would be looking for a used PS3. With some luck it will be 3.55 or below.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2