Hardware HDMiKey avaible for WII from wiikey team, wii on hdmi lcd tv

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to put it simply, its pretty much just like the VD-W3. it takes away those jaggy lines and crisp up the screen

now the sound is the main thing that everyone would notice a change in.

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now as for the main question, is it worth $50-60 bucks, heck no. more like $15-20

I got it as just to test to see if its worth it. I did two more test today on it, with Sonic colors, i did the first stage first in hdmi and then again in component, you can see the difference, cause it really does remove those jaggy line and the color looks way more crisp. From at least 5feet away it looks almost emulator good. (id's say it tricks your eyes into thinking its very close to 1080p. I can tell you right now it looks better than 720p)

But unless im proven wrong by this "Manager" program that coming soon on the site. It does not output 720p or 1080p. (obviously the wii is set to 480p), but it does upscale the image the way it should be on full 1080p hdtvs.

Theres alot of let downs about its features. Most of it's feature written directly on the box are not even available yet. heres the list.

selectable output (as i said, this so called manager program is supposed to enable this but its not up yet to prove it)
user updateable flash (iv'e yet to see)

On screen config. Nobody would even notice theres a button on the device. it took me 2 hours to realize it

Bottom line, it doesn't make you Wii into a god, but if you want clearer pictures and things playing good looking games its for you. But the price, Nah.

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Does the picture depend on the kind of TV as well? Because I tried using wii2hdmi with metroid:other m on my Technika TV and all it did was make the jaggies more noticeable.

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 24" inch tv which is the lowest you can have for 1080p. (i like the smallest things with the highest definitions)

And i did try Metroid other M. Now that game is made to play from a distance (like when using smaus to run around the ship), and even on the emulator you wont ever see Samus perfectly clear until a zoom in part or a cutscene (which is CG anyway so it doesn't matter)

So even with HDMIKEY, Wii2HDMI or VD-W3, it wont look "good" until those zoom in parts

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
REALLY EXCITING NEWS GUYS!!!!! about hdmikey

The manager program just got put up today and i just finished downloading it

it has factory default and 1080p and yes it really does make it 1080p

It downloads an update from the wii to the hdmikey takes about 2mins, shows the amount of blacks it takes after its done, BAM 1080p, however it looks as if the screen just got smaller with a black boarder.

To fix this switch you Wii to 4:3 then 16:9 again and its gone.

Widescreen 1080p no bullcrap, the real deal

And after that update i notice The Hdmikey can also work like a flash drive

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
db256 said:
REALLY EXCITING NEWS GUYS!!!!! about hdmikey

The manager program just got put up today and i just finished downloading it

it has factory default and 1080p and yes it really does make it 1080p

It downloads an update from the wii to the hdmikey takes about 2mins, shows the amount of blacks it takes after its done, BAM 1080p, however it looks as if the screen just got smaller with a black boarder.

To fix this switch you Wii to 4:3 then 16:9 again and its gone.

Widescreen 1080p no bullcrap, the real deal

And after that update i notice The Hdmikey can also work like a flash drive

Sounds interesting.
I'm moving in a couple of weeks, I won't have a TV in my room temporary but my 22" PC monitor which only has VGA and HDMI inputs.
I'll guess an HDMIkey would solve my problems for the time being.
I'm concerned about games that don't support 480p.
Games up to 480i ( some VC games, some retail ones ) have trouble displaying on a monitor without built in upscaler.
How do this games fare with the Hdmikey ?
Some examples are Obscure:aftermath, Blaster Master Wiiware and Metal Slug collection.

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can say this update is not perfect yet because it does have a few bugs

bug 1:
After you download the update, the hdmikey screen (when you press the button on the device) starts jumping around alot (like tv with a bad antenna)

bug 2:
certain games when they start up, you can see the top of the screen glitch, like how certain games do on the emulator

Oh and forgot to add, my TV legitly displays 1920x1080p when clicking the info button

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
db256 said:
i can say this update is not perfect yet because it does have a few bugs

bug 1:
After you download the update, the hdmikey screen (when you press the button on the device) starts jumping around alot (like tv with a bad antenna)

bug 2:
certain games when they start up, you can see the top of the screen glitch, like how certain games do on the emulator

Oh and forgot to add, my TV legitly displays 1920x1080p when clicking the info button

Any pics ?
I'd like to see how nice and clear is the output, even if it has a few bug to iron out.............
I'm one of the owners of the original Wiikey, they never let me down, with updates always coming soon after something big got released that didn't work, before the advent of USB loaders of course.
I'm confident they'll make this work somehow.

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ hopefully i can upload to youtube, but i dont have a 1080p camera only a phone camera, but i can show you how the process works

Update for everyone. certain games like Smash Bros Brawl does NOT work in 1080p. why because the disc forces the wii to go to 480i when it is loaded. However theres only 1 i just got around that.

Geckos homebrew. This will work with anygame because it loads from the Wii menu/homebrew channel, even though the game is loaded on disc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plYc1rlmgtw[/youtube]

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
db256 said:
I have a 24" inch tv which is the lowest you can have for 1080p. (i like the smallest things with the highest definitions)

And i did try Metroid other M. Now that game is made to play from a distance (like when using smaus to run around the ship), and even on the emulator you wont ever see Samus perfectly clear until a zoom in part or a cutscene (which is CG anyway so it doesn't matter)

So even with HDMIKEY, Wii2HDMI or VD-W3, it wont look "good" until those zoom in parts

Hmm, if you can edit the settings I'll probably have more luck with this than wii2hdmi. When I tested it with metroid:other m I wasn't really paying attention to Samus, I was looking at the backgrounds in the save room to check the number of jaggies. All it did for me was make the colours brighter.

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in my opinion:

games that look better:
sonic colors
sonic 4
mario galaxy

Games that look the same:
tatsunoko vs capcom
smash bros brawl

Meh:
Metroid other M

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For metroid other M it looks the same in some parts but different on others. Like Samus looks the same, but the enviornment looks different. The larger enemies are noticably different.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
^ hopefully i can upload to youtube, but i dont have a 1080p camera only a phone camera, but i can show you how the process works

Update for everyone. certain games like Smash Bros Brawl does NOT work in 1080p. why because the disc forces the wii to go to 480i when it is loaded. However theres only 1 i just got around that.

Geckos homebrew. This will work with anygame because it loads from the Wii menu/homebrew channel, even though the game is loaded on disc.

SNIP
why did you make half the vid showing the update downloading
closedeyes.gif

and i really didn't see any difference still calling this product a waste of $ there's cheaper ones out there.

db256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats all i could really show, i dont have a HD camera or capture card, for you guys to actually see the difference

All i could do is prove that it actually changes the resolution to 1080p

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i'm sure it says it's running in 1080p but i doubt it actually is 1080p it'll still be 480p nothing out there can magically turn 480p into 1080p on the wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries