HDD swap.....rebug installed.

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by lukands, Sep 4, 2014.

1. lukands
    OP

lukands I took the little bus here

Mar 27, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Interested in swap my hard drive for a bigger one, Rebug is installed, will the hdd swap effect the Rebug? Or will I just need to reinstall MM, Rebug toolbox, etc...AND the cfw rebug will still be there.

2. PhyChris

PhyChris GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2009
    Canada
    you can swap the drive without worry, but you will have to reinstall MM and other software you currently have.
    the worst case scenario when installing a new HDD is you will have to reinstall the CFW of your choice. no biggie

oh, and dont forget to backup your saves!

3. Puppy_Washer

Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Sorry to necro this thread from the dead, but I'm about to do a HDD upgrade with Rebug CFW. I have a few questions:

- In the event that I do need to reinstall the OS, will the Rebug PS3UPDAT.PUP file suffice?
    - If a drive is formatted by the PS3, can it still be read by a computer? If so, is it possible to just copy all content of the old drive to the new drive? Will this work as expected?
    - For games like Heavy Rain that have protected save files, how would I go about making sure that it transfers to the new HDD correctly?

Also, a fairly non-related question, but it saves me making a new thread:
    - I've noticed that some games have noticeable lag in some scenes, for instance, MGS4 at the cemetery (in the opening of the game). Is there any performance difference between .ISO games and non-ISO games?

Cheers for any help, appreciate it.

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Related question.
    Is it possible to make a byte by byte backup of the original HDD and copy it to a new larger HDD.
    Or clone the original drive and restore it on a bigger one?