Have you ever been emotionally depressed?

forerofore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The psychiatrist hasn't done all the medication at once. The flagship was to build the medication graduall. But if the medication works... that's the question. The Abilify is the means by which I have the most bathe. The Orap makes me just yet dejected and Seroquel gives me just real terror nightmares ...
none of those 3 is an antidepressant...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are times where I feel like I'm at the end of my rope with not being able to find full time employment, figure out what to do with my education and the anxiety I feel. Yeah, life can be excruciatingly tough at times, but I found an output that has helped me deal with these efficaciously; working at an animal sanctuary as a volunteer intern. It has helped me in more ways than I imagined :P That right there is my output.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well. I am diagnosed with an autistic disorder and a personality disorder. I swallow daily the following antipsychotic: Abilifiy, Seroquel and Orap and was included several times in a psychiatric hospital; because of a suicidal crisis. Life is just not easy. Furthermore, one of my biggest old interests was was video gaming. But because of the loss loss of initiative and apathy i'm not doing it anymore. And that's a shame...

Wow, yeah. All gamers, regardless of their emotional condition, are welcome in this forum. You could've at least said, "Hi, I'm a new member of GBATemp." What do you mean apathy? Do you mean nobody cares if you play games? But that does give you a reason for not taking some initiative, especially with your psychiatric history. But I still have to say this: I don't get emotionally depressed and I came on here to read the comments of people who are. I'd get a good laugh out of some of them.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree, depression remains largely misunderstood and often written off as a fake or minor malady. I am extremely lucky to have found my way out of it, but my whole life I have received zero understanding from anyone close to me. I also disagree that people are receiving "proper help;" I do not deny that some people DO benefit from antidepressants but in my case pills did NOT help. And I tried every single one my insurance covered. I realize I'm talking a lot about MY own unique experience, but I think physically driven depression should be a larger consideration. But that's not how doctors make that EZ pill money. So people are screwed unless they dig for their answers; dig for their very life.
Well I think depression is not a medical disorder; it's how you react to things in your environment that causes it. I was never diagnosed with depression even though I've been depressed before. But, if you are constantly depressed, then you need human help. Pills do not take the place of a human being. That's why some people visit shrinks; they feel comfortable enough with sharing their depressing feelings to somebody else. But, just like pills, humans can only do so much to help: the ultimate choice falls to you.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like the title is implying that you can also be spiritually and physically, and maybe even socially depressed.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First thing you should know, you don't have to feel ashamed and you're not a freak or anything. It is way more common than people might think. But you also got to be strong.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with depression and psychotic behaviour. I lived and still live far away from my family because I study at a public university. Even though I live with some friends, I got lonely... I had lost the faith about myself and thought I was unable to do anything useful, I was so miserable that I was ashamed to go out in the street to buy lunch because people would see how miserable I looked. I started taking an anti-depressive and an anti-psychotic and weeks later I stopped being so miserable, not happy, but at least not so sad.

I eventually got through this, I think the key to getting healed is to solve whatever made you lose the faith in yourself, find out why you're so insecure, why are you not happy. And I don't mean blaming your friends, parents, God, bad luck or destiny for your misery. I mean digging deep to find the reason you're in this moment in life. Although the pills I took helped me keep stable it was my psychologist that helped me to know me better and make me stronger. I recommend you trying to find a good one. Just remember, a psychologist's job is to help you find the right path, but in the end it is up to you to follow it or not and, trust me, it is not an easy road.

Another thing I would like to mention, depression is a kind of desease that doesn't get 100% cured. Even if you someday stop taking medicines, it will still hunt you for a long time and it's up to you to be strong to keep it away. As for me, I am in a very difficult place in life right know and I'm impressed with myself for not falling for it again.

I wish you the best, be strong! I have no doubt that you can do it :)

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I got over my depression by working out. I'm not sure why, but when I lift weights, I feel like I'm in my own world and everything is just fine. It also lets me release some of my suppressed rage. I think the cause of my depression was my family constantly holding me back.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got over my depression by working out. I'm not sure why, but when I lift weights, I feel like I'm in my own world and everything is just fine. It also lets me release some of my suppressed rage. I think the cause of my depression was my family constantly holding me back.
So to be happy you must use your muscles not your brain? :P hahahahaha

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
So to be happy you must use your muscles not your brain? :P hahahahaha
Honestly, yes. While I was depressed, I was always thinking about it wondering what had me depressed and tried to find a way out. But thinking got me nowhere. My buddy was the one who urged me to start working out (he had no idea I was depressed) and that pretty much solved my problem. I'm still a bit depressed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Depression?
Ain't nobody got time for that.
I mean, I don't have many real friends, many people (especially girls) tend to ignore me and if they don't, they see me as the slightly retarded guy who sits all day on the computer and plays old Nintendo games.
What I do: work on something(like the project I posted here which nobody seemed to notice) or play either a good video game(playing my favourite music in Osu! always cheers me up) or some table tennis(the most effective anti-stress sport for me).
I've got enough things to do instead of depression and that's pretty much why I'm not depressed.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
cleaning helps with depression. so go home and tidy up your room, vacuum the living room and scrub your toilet.

If you can be arsed to do it, that is. When I was severely depressed, I did not want to do anything. Not even play video games or go on the computer.

My brain is really fucked up and it will be my entire life. It's just something I need to accept and deal with. No amount of psychiatric drugs work for me because I forget to take them - or I end up losing the bottle in my messes.

Prozac made me apathetic sometimes, and when I did remember to take it, it made my ADHD symptoms so bad I was literally on another planet. Vyvanse and Adderall made me so dizzy and faint at times- I hated it. It was so weird- I felt like my brain slowed down a lot but my body was going really fast. If I drank caffeine on accident- I would need to withdraw from everyone because every little thing would piss me off. Everything. It didn't react well with the stimulants. The insomnia was also terrible.

I think most of my issues are rooted in my problems with ADHD, and my psychiatrist agreed.
I wish sometimes that I could die, because I'm tired of dealing with myself, but I know I'm stuck here, and will be for a long long time. Oh well. Tried downing a half bottle of Everclear last year - that didn't work. Just made me extremely sick. It is what it is.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the only time I was emotionally depressed was when I was traveling abroad doing disaster relief. Not a tale I tell a lot of people but when I was out with my group, basically what happened was I was helping kids find a place to stay, provide them food, help them deal with the emotional feelings of loss of losing homes, and whatnot.

This was interesting. I was given a loaner car, and I was basically housing some of these kids in there, to give them a temporary roof over their heads. I'm helping these kids and this one guy decides to basically proceed to beat the shit out of me. His reasoning? I was beaten up severely because I was "Helping a minority with a privileged task." I think I lost a lot of my wind and wound up very depressed and sad over it. I remember even talking to my boss and wanting out of the program because I was not accustomed to such displays of anger.

I stuck out though, and came back home, after finishing the job. But yeah, that was by far the worst time of my life.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
I work in a mental hospital, it's a common problem 1 in 4 people will suffer between 12-64

This should make you feel better:

This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ StealthD0g99: I am trying to hack Fire Emblem Warriors on my 2DS XL, I have been trying to get it to work, but...