Homebrew Hatari Wii 0.0.5

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The port is based on Hatari 1.9.0. It's an Atari ST emulator.

Hatari_vkeyboard.png

What's new:
----------------

* ST mouse can be emulated with Wii controllers sticks or d-pads.
* A better and nicer virtual keyboard.
* The mapper is improved. It's also possible to configure the d-pads.
* A new savegame system. 10 available slots with previews.
* A simple image viewer.
* A lot of cleanups and other improvements...

Links
-------

Hatari Wii 0.0.5

Source code

rkChdrkls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiimpathy,
Great work. I have been checking the wiibrew site over the years to see if there was an update.
Didn't you release a version of Hatari about 6 years ago on the wii??

Last edited by rkChdrkls,

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's correct, 6 years ago! It was based on 1.3.1, with joystick support and a simple virtual keyboard.
Then, the 0.0.4 w.i.p that I should be ashamed of having released. It was really a draft, with unfinished and very punky code. Well, it was a sort of challenge; finish before a certain date...

And now 0.0.5, still far from perfect but surely 1000x better than the previous one. There are at least the features I wanted so it will likely be the last one.
I never bother to put it on Wiibrew, maybe one day...

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a false positive. It could happen when using the bad version of createcfg.exe(32bits or 64).

But maybe you're right, I shouldn't have put this exe in the archive. It's just a batch with unix tools to create a specific Wiiflow setup. It was to ease the process for Windows users. The executable is made with Bat to exe converter. For those who want to use the batch directly it's in CreateCfg.zip.
Or even better, delete the exe and use the unix script.;)

Pierres2

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Seems a long time from last reply on here, anyway the emulator is superb for the ST and STe. Only problem is I can't get the Falcon emulation to work. Is this part of the emulation supported on the wii port?.

One last point, Hatari v2.0.0( 2016-11-04) has been released with a single CPU core for all machines (ST, STE, TT, Falcon) now under one binary (It was 2 binaries in version 1.9). Could this be as simply as just compiling version 2.0.0 for the Wii or is it a lot more work.

Reactions: niuus

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The main goal was the ST part. Falcon emulation is rather incomplete and the requirements are high for our good old Wii. At one stage of the port, I've started the falcon Tos and had resolution issues. In short, it's untested and support may be broken now.

The windows binary only has the new CPU core but both cores are still present in the code. Last time I tried it wasn't possible to compile the new core...
There are many changes I've made for the Wii version, it's not as simple as compiling hatari 2.0.0.

Reactions: niuus

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The main goal was the ST part. Falcon emulation is rather incomplete and the requirements are high for our good old Wii. At one stage of the port, I've started the falcon Tos and had resolution issues. In short, it's untested and support may be broken now.

The windows binary only has the new CPU core but both cores are still present in the code. Last time I tried it wasn't possible to compile the new core...
There are many changes I've made for the Wii version, it's not as simple as compiling hatari 2.0.0.
Hi @Wiimpathy, thanks for your work. What DevkitPro/libOGC version did you use to compile? Also, will there be a github for your code?

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DevkitPPC r26, libogc 1.8.11, 2013-10-28 SDL-Wii. I don't intend to put the code on Gihub. The code is there for anyone who wants to modify it. There's at least one annoying thing I'd like to fix but I'm not sure it will happen soon.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
DevkitPPC r26, libogc 1.8.11, 2013-10-28 SDL-Wii. I don't intend to put the code on Gihub. The code is there for anyone who wants to modify it. There's at least one annoying thing I'd like to fix but I'm not sure it will happen soon.
It's okey, i am just learning from everything i can. Cool emulator!

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wow, it's been 5 years since the last post, but I found this the closest to my question/s.

As all Atari ST (& Amiga500) users know, same games work identically on both. I've never had any issues with playing my A500 with ANY Atari ST 512 (or the 1040) or visa versa.
Both were easily hardware hackable for the extra special touches. Much better games than C-64, but we all had to start somewhere ;) Push "Play" on the cassette player :(
My 1st game console was Atari 2600. Yeah, I'm older than that :(

When looking at games both Roms & their emulators, the A500 has .ADF extensions & Atari St has .ST extensions. Yet originally, all Atari ST's & A500's (inc. A1000 & A2000) could read & play the same original disk of games. The good, old power of the 68000 cpu. Wow !!! :)

My question is :
Could the extensions be renamed to either Atari ST &/or A500 extensions & simply used by either Hatari or the UAE emulator ? They have extremely similar file sizes & the Rom titles have the same names. Just different named emulators are used. Game coding was also the same, for both (original games).

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
While I remember the dual disks in magazines, I really doubt the dumps of Atari ST & Amiga floppies are interchangeable. I don't think the games were always sharing the exact same source code either.
But, I'm curious about those technical details. The sdk the devs used too etc...

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
While I remember the dual disks in magazines, I really doubt the dumps of Atari ST & Amiga floppies are interchangeable. I don't think the games were always sharing the exact same source code either.
But, I'm curious about those technical details. The sdk the devs used too etc...
The same discs worked in both.
I can't remember what boot the Atari used, but the A500 used "Workbench".
Both easily hard-modded. External 5.25 floppy (360k), modified interface, from PC. Both with the ability for more than the 360k disc limit. I had 4 of them.
Sorry, I think I'm repeating myself :(

The internals layouts were very different, but deep down same technology was in use. Who came 1st ? Who cares. I just know it wouldn't be possible these days. Copyright is a b**ch.

But, I believe you're talking about the dumps for the wii (?).
I agree. Hatari/UAE are way different.
Pity, they are/were twins, in different suits.
Long live the game "Cadaver".
Post automatically merged:

I'm a hardware tech. I can possibly answer some of your questions, but please remember, that was almost 35 years ago. Could be hard to recall :(
Software = Not my scene :( Back in the day, software was my worst enemy.

Last edited by morning_glory,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.