Has anyone seen those new "widescreen" laptops?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Nov 26, 2008.

1. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    such as the 16 and 18 inch ones? holy crap they look fugly. i hope they don't catch on.

[​IMG]

it looks alot worse in real life. it looks severely flattened like it's been hammered down or something lol.

2. Licardo7

Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    your right, it's fugly lol. It doesn't look that bad but still wouldn't buy it.

3. myuusmeow

myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    16:10 is standard for PCs, I don't see why they would change that. All it'll do is cause a lot of headaches for gamers.

4. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    Quite simply, they change it to give people variety.
    Not all users are gamers, after all.
    It is the way of the future?
    I doubt it.
    But if I were working on a student movie, or using the machine mostly for media playing, I'd want a widescreen.

(Not to mention that 1st person shooters are better on a widescreen, IMHO.)

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    I have a 17" widescreen laptop. It's a HP dv9000 series. People expect macbook looks and not everything can be so clean and plain. =/

The design on the outside is ugly, but I love the screen, and it actually has a numpad!
    Love the hardware on this thing, it was great for the price...

...but the design on the outside of the lid is just fugly.

6. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    well my friend has a 15'4" inch asus and his has a numpad as well and the keys aren't small. it's like this special gamers edition or something

7. Edgedancer

Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Oct 2, 2006
    Canberra
    I dont think we have to worry about gamers getting this as many of them know what to get and wouldn't buy this. Desktop >>>>>> Laptop for games.

8. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Well, widerscreen means bigger keyboard, more keys to work with [​IMG]

But playing games on a laptop is a bit hard, it makes my neck hurt

9. Gman 101

Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2007
    Karkand & Mashtuur City
    I don't mind the 16" Sony Vaios. Too bad I already have two laptops. One IBM X61, which is 12" and 4:3 aspect... which is weird for a laptop which came out last year. The other being the Asus N10, with a 10.2" screen, and a 1024x600 resolution. Both have monitors which are like bitches (in terms of game compatibility).

10. halljames

halljames GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    As far as I recall, widescreen laptops have been out for years.

My Toshiba 17" Widescreen is now 3 years old. Still nice though.

11. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    i no but i have to get a laptop (for university) and of course i'm gonna game on it [​IMG]

12. p1ngpong

p1ngpong The King is Dead

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Lol I have an Acer Aspire 6920G one of the "fugly" laptops you mentioned, and sorry to say you guys are wrong man!

The machine is a thing of beauty, with a cool illuminated touch media control panel on the side that make everyone who sees it go "wow".

Its also an epic gameing machine, im talking Far Cry 2 with every setting on high!

The screen is the richest ive ever seen and the sound is amazing! I would recommend it to anyone, built in HDMI is also a great touch btw! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    what does the features u mentioned have to do with anything? i was talking about the screen size.

and someone's a spoiled kid >.>

14. p1ngpong

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    And like I said its an awesome machine and gorgeous!

And how do you know if im spoiled? Maybe I stole the laptop from a shop! [​IMG]

15. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    steal me one, i'll pay u [​IMG]
    how much was it if u don't mind me asking?

16. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    Um.. wasn't da_head taking about the screen-size? not the Power?

We don't need a widescreen laptop to play FarCry 2 with best settings, a normal 17" laptop with the right specs can play Assasin's Creed with maximum graphical settings with ease

17. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    i think he's just sayin that his laptop is a widescreen one but it looks hot. (which it does) BUT i still think it looks flattened.

18. p1ngpong

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Brand new when it first came out six months ago it was around $1.200 for the 16" model with 4 gig ram, 240 gig hdd and Geforce 9500m GS 512meg graphics card.

Probably cheaper now, best value laptop you can get in my opinion, its an epic machine!

[​IMG]

edit: and yes it is gorgeous, they look flat granted but comes into its own when watching films and stuff, 16:10 sucks for movies

19. da_head
    OP

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    wtf? only? wat currency? and what's the exact name of it so i can look it up.

20. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    My girlfriend has one of those... the 18.4 inch model... it's huge!!! and it's damn good!
    and I envy her.. a lot!... I mean... before I told her to buy that one, she was asking me:
    "This computer here in this store has 500GB Hard drive... is it any good? should I buy it?"

i mean come on! HDD != how good a computer are... and now she has this monster computer kicking my stationary computers butt to mars... [​IMG]

sorry for kinda off topic!

EDIT:
    ON TOPIC:
    Well, Me personally don't think that the wide-screen is a big issue at all... It really kicks ass to watch movies (and that acer one got a blu-ray player).. and games can SOMETIMES be stretched, sometimes it's just a black little border, or sometimes they even have settings that fits the resolution...

also, 18.4" is like a 17" screen, but with extra space on the sides... lose nothing gain everything!