Hacking Has Anyone Ever Restored NAND with Bootmii as IOS?

Retrievil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read a lot of conflicting stuff about this. Some say it won't work, some say it will lead to an even worse brick, some say it will work fine.

So, like the topic says. Has anyone actually restored thier NAND using only Bootmii as an IOS? I don't want any theory or 'it should work'. I want to hear from the people that have actually done it.

I really want to know because it seems to me that the people saying it won't work must be wrong. Why would the team that did Bootmii even bother making it work as an ios unless it was possible to restore it that way. Bootmii does nothing else.

mestapho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes people have done it and succeeded. That doesn't mean that it should be tried unless it is a last
resort as it can also easily perma-brick your wii. Just the other day there was a thread where a guy
bricked his wii trying to restore his nand with bootmii ios. Team Twiizers say in the read me that it is
technically possible but shouldn't be done for a reason.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok here's the point why it's unsafe.
If boot2 screws up the restore, just try again.
If ios screws up, sent your Wii back to Nintendo.
It's as easy as pie. (or something like that)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Never ever do that!

If something "unexpected" happens during the restore process, half your filesystem is the new version, half the backup. And it's filesystem, not half your files. You might end up not having any files after this, because you have the filetable of the one nand while the data it's pointing at is from the other nand.

rommy667

Trophies
XP
Country
What if its ones LAST resort & have a "brick" anyway? those ppl have nothing to lose,but ONLY those ppl,try EVERTHING but this FIRST now thats easy to get right? other wise as wiipower said
smile.gif

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
As a last resort, the method is just as good as BootMii/boot2. However, I can't currently imagine a last resort usage of BootMii/IOS. In order to run BootMii/IOS you must be able to boot HBC, therefore you can also try other methods of recovering. Well, if it doesn't work and your Wii is otherwise fully bricked and you have no clue what's going on, you might as well try a NAND restore. However, if it goes wrong, your Wii is toast.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On a brick, you can't get there. But the nand backup with BootMii IOS is not completely useless, you can use it with hardware nand programmers.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
The most important thing when restoring a Nand with BootMii IOS is that your Nand backup is not corrupted and there is now power interruption during restoring.

I did it and everything worked like a charm. This does not mean it will def work for you.

But everyone should know for himself if he should restore the Nand with BootMii IOS or not...

Deviyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can get to BootMii, why would you resotr NAND instead of going to HBC and undoing whatever it is you did?

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nautilart said:
so then seriously does anyone know whats the benefit?

cut-n-pasted from bootmii.org:

---------
BootMii for Users:

BootMii is a piece of software that can be installed as an IOS or inserted into the boot process. As an IOS, it provides a fast way to back up your Wii's internal NAND flash memory, and will eventually form the basis of a new generation of homebrew applications for the Wii. Inserted into the boot process, BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD, quickly and painlessly. BootMii also allows you to directly boot the Homebrew channel or other homebrew from SD, bypassing the "warning screen" and the rest of the menu.

---------

Don't use BootMii IOS to restore your NAND. It's just not smart.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
G0dLiKe said:
The most important thing when restoring a Nand with BootMii IOS is that your Nand backup is not corrupted and there is now power interruption during restoring.

I did it and everything worked like a charm. This does not mean it will def work for you.

But everyone should know for himself if he should restore the Nand with BootMii IOS or not...

And one guy here had some error about bad blocks in the process, and then a nice brick of course.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
Yes, WiiPower is right.

I forgot to ask anyways, were the bad blocks on the nand backup on the SD Card or were they on the nand inside the Wii?

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started a thread about this a month ago. One guy said Bootmii will not even let you run restore if it is installed as IOS only.

The General consensus of that thread was Bootmii is worthless as IOS and has no use at all. I have it installed as IOS on my system but I have not even cared to make a backup of the NAND because if you can't restore it why make the backup in the first place. ALL new Wii's will not be able to use Bootmii as Boot2 so as far as new people coming into wii hacking it is worthless. There are no Homebrew applications that use MINI so it is worthless ATM. I guess Bootmii is good for people with older Wii's but that is about it.

Bootmii as IOS (Everyone who has a Wii manufactured after Mid 2008 including all New Wii's sold)
Bootmii as Boot2 ( People that bought at launch or the first year and 1/2 out.)

Hopefully the Team will improve bootmii as IOS in the future and do more with it but as far as i know nobody is paying these guys anything. You can't complain about free stuff you can only bitch about it
cool.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lothlorian said:
I started a thread about this a month ago. One guy said Bootmii will not even let you run restore if it is installed as IOS only.

The General consensus of that thread was Bootmii is worthless as IOS and has no use at all. [...]

I doubt that, BootMii IOS is there to run a new kind of homebrew. When do people start to understand that! That is what BootMii is all about, the brick protection from BootMii as boot2 is "just" a sideeffect of the way it is installed.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
I have backuped my wii nand several times (usually at least once each month).

Some time after I updated to 4.1E (with waninkoko's patches), I couldn't go into the system menu anymore. all that was shown was a black screen with simple "4.1E" in white at the bottom right corner. I don't know what the problem was, and I didn't care either.

I simply loaded into bootmii and restored to last 4.0E backup. It all went fine, and I'm still on 4.0E, afraid of updating again. Though, my save games were a tad old
frown.gif

Incure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I succesfully did a full restore with BootMii installed IOS. I even ignored all the warnings. I did this because I accidently installed Preloader on 4.1 with hacks for 4.0 and it gave me a "your system files are corrupt" message. I was not enough informed to know that I could "fix" this easily without a restore and did know the real danger of a restore with BootMii as IOS. I think I never do this again, I was very lucky in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.