Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

phaerun

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Same thing happened to me. Maybe I'll read on Android 4.2 and look for a solution.
Also, after failing at changing wlan0 I tried another device on the list : wl0.1 because I thought it was for wifi tether. It didn't change the mac however.

yeah wrong mac idd :/
however when i do that in terminal:
busybox ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 40:53:50:4F:4F:46
it shows the new mac but then wifi tether isn't working anymore :/

guys I had this problem on the 4.3 stock. When I switched to cm 10.1.2 nightly (last nights' to be exact) I do not have that problem anymore. Wifi tether works even after I change the mac but that is because the mac is not really changed. and if i stop tethering and restart it again it creates another random mac.

phaerun

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just tested my theory and failed. :(
Guys how does your /data/misc /wifi folder looks like?

by default it does not have .mac.info nor .nvmac.info if that is what you are asking.

mine had the sockets directory and the entropy.bin, hostapd.conf, ipconfig.txt, p2p_supplicant.conf, softap.conf and wpa_supplicant.conf.

I created a .nvmac.info with the 40:53:50:4f:4f:46 but it didn't take it. will try creating a .mac.info there too with the same info

EDIT: nope. neither worked.. soooo there must be another place that is looking for before it generates a random mac...

jaxpunk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I've changed my dd-wrt router's SSID to attwifi and i've tried several different MAC addresses from the spreadsheet, and my 3ds is able to connect, but I'm not getting any streetpass hits. my 3ds is up to date and the only connection i have set up on my 3ds is attwifi.

i'm able to connect to the nintendo zone, but no streetpass hits have popped up on any of the different MAC addresses i tried. Is my dd-wrt not applying the spoofed MAC addresses properly?

I was having the same problem. So between MAC swaps I would shut down the 3DS. I get a streetpass hit within seconds of it saying that the Nintendo Zone is available after it boots back up.

Also delete any wifi connections that you may have for your normal internet. That also seemed to screw up streetpass.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
by default it does not have .mac.info nor .nvmac.info if that is what you are asking.

mine had the sockets directory and the entropy.bin, hostapd.conf, ipconfig.txt, p2p_supplicant.conf, softap.conf and wpa_supplicant.conf.

I created a .nvmac.info with the 40:53:50:4f:4f:46 but it didn't take it. will try creating a .mac.info there too with the same info
Have you checked all of those files? If none of them worth anything then throw this in there.
Wait...

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I've changed my dd-wrt router's SSID to attwifi and i've tried several different MAC addresses from the spreadsheet, and my 3ds is able to connect, but I'm not getting any streetpass hits. my 3ds is up to date and the only connection i have set up on my 3ds is attwifi.

i'm able to connect to the nintendo zone, but no streetpass hits have popped up on any of the different MAC addresses i tried. Is my dd-wrt not applying the spoofed MAC addresses properly?

You don't need the AP set up as a connection in your 3ds to get hits, the firmware automatically detects open networks with SSID "attwifi" as a nintendo zone, which you can use to update, do Nzone stuff or I imagine play online games. It should also be noted that when Ninty pushes another update this may need another step to block that/those servers, as the NZone viewer says it will kick you out if you don't have the latest update (basically)

Are you sure your AP is broadcasting the right MAC? I know on my phone it can say it has changed when it really hasn't. You can check with InSSIDer on windows, Airmon-ng on linux... maybe airmon on mac too (ED: WLANAudit on android)? Anyway check and make sure, as that's the main reason people can't get hits.

phaerun

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
omg.
So yeah I switched back to my 4.3 stock. And started wifi-tether with the following settings :

device profile : auto
setup method : auto
send no tether-interface cmd : ticked
mac address spoof: ticked
change mac : 40:53:50:4f:4f:46
wifi-driver reload 2: ticked
routing fix : ticked

And it is the first time in my life I can actually open the nintendo zone app without getting an error and I see some lol super mario 3d land play demo now and a zelda on the top left....

AND ....

busybox iplink show wlan0 has FINALLY the 40:53:50:4f:4f:46

and .. GREEN LIGHT

HELLO MIKE FROM THE US/ILLINOIS with the blue shirt..

if anyone gets Anna from Greece let me know :P

sorry about the mess in my AC house, i am in the process of making a toy shop theme :P

joemari5

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been reading the entire thread the whole day and it seems I am out of luck since my router (Linksys WRT120N) doesn't support DD-WRT. Everyone's been saying to do the Linux LiveCD thing. Could someone please give download links to the files needed? That's my last resort since doing the Android Tethering will cost a huge amount of balance on my bill. Thanks for those who'll reply! :)

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
guys I had this problem on the 4.3 stock. When I switched to cm 10.1.2 nightly (last nights' to be exact) I do not have that problem anymore. Wifi tether works even after I change the mac but that is because the mac is not really changed. and if i stop tethering and restart it again it creates another random mac.
i'm already on cm 10.1.2

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, after over an hour of digging into this on Android 4.2.2, I have to admit defeat. I'm on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (toro) with CM10.1.2 (4.2.2). Here's what I've done:

First, this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=32222083&postcount=8

Evidently the problem stems from unlocked devices having busted MAC address info in part of the bootloader partition. As such, unless you have a custom kernel that addresses that, your phone will have a slightly randomized MAC every time it boots. And even if you do, it stays the same, but still can't be changed. And no amount of spoofing seems to do anything to that. Also, it means any method that requires a reboot is completely moot.

So, I did all those steps in the above link. It's not for the light hearted, and is a bit dangerous. But, at the end, my phone is finally saying its MAC is 40:53:50:4F:4F:46. However, it's making no difference whatsoever. All the tethering stuff I did is doing the exact same thing as before I tried this. In other words, I'm still at square one, with nothing to show for it (except a fake MAC address that doesn't do anything except look different).

So yeah, I'm just going to buy a DD-WRT compatible router when I get the chance.

Reactions: BerserkLeon

luyaoting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Hello, I'm luyaoting from Taiwan with a Japanese 3DS.
I successfully hit Jimmy & Jrave from America a few hours ago with my Dell latitude 10 Windows8 tablet.
Because of the limit of WIN7/8, I set the MAC as 62-36-DD-7E-05-B9 & A6-F3-C1-0B-C6-7E (the second hex digit must be 2, 6, a or e).
Then, I created a hosted network which
SSID: attwifi
Encryption: WPA2 <=!! (WIN7/8 can't create a hosted network without WPA2 encryption.)
It worked fine for the streetpass relay! (need to change 3DS wireless settings)
(But if you open the nintendo zone app, you will receive an error.)
oMNOYQh.jpg

02JTCt2.jpg

How to Change or Spoof MAC Address in Windows?
How to Change or Spoof MAC Address in Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003/2008, Mac OS X, Unix and Linux
How to Create Wireless Hosted Networks in Windows?
How to: Create Wireless Hosted Networks in Windows 7

Reactions: keyser3

joemari5

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I'm luyaoting from Taiwan with a Japanese 3DS.
I successfully hit Jimmy & Jrave from America a few hours ago with my Dell latitude 10 Windows8 tablet.
Because of the limit of WIN7/8, I set the MAC as 62-36-DD-7E-05-B9 & A6-F3-C1-0B-C6-7E (the second hex digit must be 2, 6, a or e).
Then, I created a hosted network which
SSID: attwifi
Encryption: WPA2 <=!! (WIN7/8 can't create a hosted network without WPA2 encryption.)
It worked fine for the streetpass relay! (But if you open the nintendo zone app, you will receive an error.)
433c6e56046eb0193ac8a07acf4e062b.JPG
2b3b894e1f2b226452d36801bd7324e1.JPG

What EXACTLY did you do? I also have a Win8 laptop so if you could provide a tutorial of what you did then maybe us Windows users could set our own MAC address to share streetpasses.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Guys, from today please all migrate to
SSID attwifi
MAC 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46 or "NSPOOF" ASCII (:40-:4F at last octet for group addresses)
I will start using this values from tonight 01:00am UTC+4

attwifi have no restrictions on some APs and 4E at the first octet have no restriction on Windows 7/Vista, so we all will have more diversity with StreetPass.

Next week I'll update script for DD-WRT and we will have a title-dependent ASCII-readable addresses for each StreetPass-compatible games.

RedHero

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
omg.
So yeah I switched back to my 4.3 stock. And started wifi-tether with the following settings :

device profile : auto
setup method : auto
send no tether-interface cmd : ticked
mac address spoof: ticked
change mac : 40:53:50:4f:4f:46
wifi-driver reload 2: ticked
routing fix : ticked

And it is the first time in my life I can actually open the nintendo zone app without getting an error and I see some lol super mario 3d land play demo now and a zelda on the top left....

AND ....

busybox iplink show wlan0 has FINALLY the 40:53:50:4f:4f:46

and .. GREEN LIGHT

HELLO MIKE FROM THE US/ILLINOIS with the blue shirt..

if anyone gets Anna from Greece let me know :P

sorry about the mess in my AC house, i am in the process of making a toy shop theme :P

I have the same settings, doesn't work for me. The terminal shows an error if I have the tethering with that app on. It says:
wlan0 <BROADCAST, MULTICAST> mtu 500 qdisc nop qlen 1000
link/ether: 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

If I have it off it just gives me the regular IP of the phone. It does the same if I use the build-in tethering function.

I'm using Android version 4.0.4 on a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Reactions: keyra

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SSID attwifi
MAC 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46 or "NSPOOF" ASCII (:40-:4F at last octet for group addresses)

attwifi have no restrictions on some APs and 4E at the first octet have no restriction on Windows 7/Vista, so we all will have more diversity with StreetPass.

Next week I'll update script for DD-WRT and we will have a title-dependent ASCII-readable addresses for each StreetPass-compatible games.
Sounds good, that way everybody should be able to participate (as soon as they get it running that is).

bonzibuddy64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure your AP is broadcasting the right MAC? I know on my phone it can say it has changed when it really hasn't. You can check with InSSIDer on windows, Airmon-ng on linux... maybe airmon on mac too (ED: WLANAudit on android)? Anyway check and make sure, as that's the main reason people can't get hits.

Yeah - I've checked, and the MAC isn't changing, even though it's enabled and set up properly. Any idea why it'd be doing this?

phaerun

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have the same settings, doesn't work for me. The terminal shows an error if I have the tethering with that app on. It says:
wlan0 <BROADCAST, MULTICAST> mtu 500 qdisc nop qlen 1000
link/ether: 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

If I have it off it just gives me the regular IP of the phone. It does the same if I use the build-in tethering function.

I'm using Android version 4.0.4 on a Samsung Galaxy S2.

yes it really depends on the phone and the android version you are running. Those are for my gnex 4.3 stock.
actually try an older version of wifi tether (not 4.3 experiemental) because if memory serves they changed some settings on 4.2 onwards which were not backwards compatible so look for an older wifi tether version.

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSID attwifi

I'll put this update in the Reddit thread soon as I can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021