1. phaerun

phaerun GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    guys I had this problem on the 4.3 stock. When I switched to cm 10.1.2 nightly (last nights' to be exact) I do not have that problem anymore. Wifi tether works even after I change the mac but that is because the mac is not really changed. and if i stop tethering and restart it again it creates another random mac.

2. phaerun

phaerun GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    by default it does not have .mac.info nor .nvmac.info if that is what you are asking.

mine had the sockets directory and the entropy.bin, hostapd.conf, ipconfig.txt, p2p_supplicant.conf, softap.conf and wpa_supplicant.conf.

I created a .nvmac.info with the 40:53:50:4f:4f:46 but it didn't take it. will try creating a .mac.info there too with the same info

EDIT: nope. neither worked.. soooo there must be another place that is looking for before it generates a random mac...

3. jaxpunk

jaxpunk Newbie
    Newcomer

United States

I was having the same problem. So between MAC swaps I would shut down the 3DS. I get a streetpass hit within seconds of it saying that the Nintendo Zone is available after it boots back up.

Also delete any wifi connections that you may have for your normal internet. That also seemed to screw up streetpass.

4. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Vietnam
    Have you checked all of those files? If none of them worth anything then throw this in there.
    Wait...

5. Ripepi

Ripepi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Still not working on mine I can connect to Nintendo Zone and loads the page and everything but still not getting tags.

6. BerserkLeon

BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

United States

You don't need the AP set up as a connection in your 3ds to get hits, the firmware automatically detects open networks with SSID "attwifi" as a nintendo zone, which you can use to update, do Nzone stuff or I imagine play online games. It should also be noted that when Ninty pushes another update this may need another step to block that/those servers, as the NZone viewer says it will kick you out if you don't have the latest update (basically)

Are you sure your AP is broadcasting the right MAC? I know on my phone it can say it has changed when it really hasn't. You can check with InSSIDer on windows, Airmon-ng on linux... maybe airmon on mac too (ED: WLANAudit on android)? Anyway check and make sure, as that's the main reason people can't get hits.

7. phaerun

phaerun GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    omg.
    So yeah I switched back to my 4.3 stock. And started wifi-tether with the following settings :

device profile : auto
    setup method : auto
    send no tether-interface cmd : ticked
    mac address spoof: ticked
    change mac : 40:53:50:4f:4f:46
    wifi-driver reload 2: ticked
    routing fix : ticked

And it is the first time in my life I can actually open the nintendo zone app without getting an error and I see some lol super mario 3d land play demo now and a zelda on the top left....

AND ....

busybox iplink show wlan0 has FINALLY the 40:53:50:4f:4f:46

and .. GREEN LIGHT

HELLO MIKE FROM THE US/ILLINOIS with the blue shirt..

if anyone gets Anna from Greece let me know :P

sorry about the mess in my AC house, i am in the process of making a toy shop theme :P

8. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Vietnam
    Here's the file mentioned earlier.

Attached Files:

9. joemari5

joemari5 Newbie
    Newcomer

I've been reading the entire thread the whole day and it seems I am out of luck since my router (Linksys WRT120N) doesn't support DD-WRT. Everyone's been saying to do the Linux LiveCD thing. Could someone please give download links to the files needed? That's my last resort since doing the Android Tethering will cost a huge amount of balance on my bill. Thanks for those who'll reply! :)

10. keyra

keyra Spoderman self proclamed fan

France
    i'm already on cm 10.1.2

11. PuyoDead

PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    Ok, after over an hour of digging into this on Android 4.2.2, I have to admit defeat. I'm on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (toro) with CM10.1.2 (4.2.2). Here's what I've done:

First, this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=32222083&postcount=8

Evidently the problem stems from unlocked devices having busted MAC address info in part of the bootloader partition. As such, unless you have a custom kernel that addresses that, your phone will have a slightly randomized MAC every time it boots. And even if you do, it stays the same, but still can't be changed. And no amount of spoofing seems to do anything to that. Also, it means any method that requires a reboot is completely moot.

So, I did all those steps in the above link. It's not for the light hearted, and is a bit dangerous. But, at the end, my phone is finally saying its MAC is 40:53:50:4F:4F:46. However, it's making no difference whatsoever. All the tethering stuff I did is doing the exact same thing as before I tried this. In other words, I'm still at square one, with nothing to show for it (except a fake MAC address that doesn't do anything except look different).

So yeah, I'm just going to buy a DD-WRT compatible router when I get the chance.

BerserkLeon likes this.
  12. luyaoting

luyaoting Member
    Newcomer

Taiwan
    Hello, I'm luyaoting from Taiwan with a Japanese 3DS.
    I successfully hit Jimmy & Jrave from America a few hours ago with my Dell latitude 10 Windows8 tablet.
    Because of the limit of WIN7/8, I set the MAC as 62-36-DD-7E-05-B9 & A6-F3-C1-0B-C6-7E (the second hex digit must be 2, 6, a or e).
    Then, I created a hosted network which
    SSID: attwifi
    Encryption: WPA2 <=!! (WIN7/8 can't create a hosted network without WPA2 encryption.)
    It worked fine for the streetpass relay! (need to change 3DS wireless settings)
    (But if you open the nintendo zone app, you will receive an error.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How to Change or Spoof MAC Address in Windows?
    How to Change or Spoof MAC Address in Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003/2008, Mac OS X, Unix and Linux
    How to Create Wireless Hosted Networks in Windows?
    How to: Create Wireless Hosted Networks in Windows 7

keyser3 likes this.
  13. joemari5

joemari5 Newbie
    Newcomer

What EXACTLY did you do? I also have a Win8 laptop so if you could provide a tutorial of what you did then maybe us Windows users could set our own MAC address to share streetpasses.

14. duke_srg

duke_srg GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    Guys, from today please all migrate to
    SSID attwifi
    MAC 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46 or "NSPOOF" ASCII (:40-:4F at last octet for group addresses)
    I will start using this values from tonight 01:00am UTC+4

attwifi have no restrictions on some APs and 4E at the first octet have no restriction on Windows 7/Vista, so we all will have more diversity with StreetPass.

Next week I'll update script for DD-WRT and we will have a title-dependent ASCII-readable addresses for each StreetPass-compatible games.

Duo8, luyaoting, [Truth] and 2 others like this.
  15. RedHero

RedHero GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands

I have the same settings, doesn't work for me. The terminal shows an error if I have the tethering with that app on. It says:
    wlan0 <BROADCAST, MULTICAST> mtu 500 qdisc nop qlen 1000
    link/ether: 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

If I have it off it just gives me the regular IP of the phone. It does the same if I use the build-in tethering function.

I'm using Android version 4.0.4 on a Samsung Galaxy S2.

keyra likes this.
  16. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Sounds good, that way everybody should be able to participate (as soon as they get it running that is).

17. luyaoting

luyaoting Member
    Newcomer

Taiwan
    I've edited my post.

18. bonzibuddy64

bonzibuddy64 Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    Yeah - I've checked, and the MAC isn't changing, even though it's enabled and set up properly. Any idea why it'd be doing this?

19. phaerun

phaerun GBAtemp Regular

Greece

yes it really depends on the phone and the android version you are running. Those are for my gnex 4.3 stock.
    actually try an older version of wifi tether (not 4.3 experiemental) because if memory serves they changed some settings on 4.2 onwards which were not backwards compatible so look for an older wifi tether version.

20. Jimbolicious

Jimbolicious GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll put this update in the Reddit thread soon as I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - streetpass, attempted, Nintendo