Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok has anyone else been getting the green Streetpass light but no Mii?

I ask this because I just hit 3 different MAC Addresses with each causing the Streetpass light to come on. I decided to check the Notifications list and I see 1 pass for all my games and the plaza.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok has anyone else been getting the green Streetpass light but no Mii?

I ask this because I just hit 3 different MAC Addresses with each causing the Streetpass light to come on. I decided to check the Notifications list and I see 1 pass for all my games and the plaza.
Maybe you got the same person 3 times.

SPjunkie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has worked on this project. Without it the chances of us (at our house) streetpassing anyone else was slim and none. I get a pass every 8 hours like clockwork!

A question though.

Since I can only receive incoming passes, do the people who use my mac address just pass the two 3ds systems here, or do they hit each other as well? Seems like they should.
Just curious.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has worked on this project. Without it the chances of us (at our house) streetpassing anyone else was slim and none. I get a pass every 8 hours like clockwork!

A question though.

Since I can only receive incoming passes, do the people who use my mac address just pass the two 3ds systems here, or do they hit each other as well? Seems like they should.
Just curious.

when the two 3DSes are by eachother they should get a pass off eachother, and the people who visit your MAC pick up whichever was the last one to touch the access point. If both 3DSes are on though, one might recieve passes that the other doesn't... but I think when two are there at the same time they get the same pass. In which case the only thing that's really changing is the pass the people visiting your MAC get from you, since unless the 3DSes have different streetpass games, there can only be one of them 'loaded' on the AP/MAC at once.

SPjunkie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when the two 3DSes are by eachother they should get a pass off eachother, and the people who visit your MAC pick up whichever was the last one to touch the access point. If both 3DSes are on though, one might recieve passes that the other doesn't... but I think when two are there at the same time they get the same pass. In which case the only thing that's really changing is the pass the people visiting your MAC get from you, since unless the 3DSes have different streetpass games, there can only be one of them 'loaded' on the AP/MAC at once.

Yeah we pass each other normally, then he receives a pass from the router and then I get one from a different person about an hour later.

What I was asking is if all the other folks hitting our mac only pass with our two Mii's, or are they also getting passes from each other. Since we have the 8 hour downtime and all.
I'm in Oklahoma. Can someone from say...Japan get a pass from someone in ....Canada through my router? I guess that's a better way to put it.

I'm just trying to figure out how all this works, as it doesn't take much to amuse me. lol

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah we pass each other normally, then he receives a pass from the router and then I get one from a different person about an hour later.

What I was asking is if all the other folks hitting our mac only pass with our two Mii's, or are they also getting passes from each other. Since we have the 8 hour downtime and all.
I'm in Oklahoma. Can someone from say...Japan get a pass from someone in ....Canada through my router? I guess that's a better way to put it.

I'm just trying to figure out how all this works, as it doesn't take much to amuse me. lol
They'll get whoever used the MAC last. So yeah, someone from Japan could get a Canadian.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi to everyone. I have the TP LINK TD-W8960N. Can i use it for this job?

If it has a MAC clone option at all it's probably only for the WAN MAC, not the WLAN MAC. So not with the default firmware.
It's a modem/router combo, so you can't put dd-wrt on it. Probably can't put OpenWRT or Tomato on it either, so that's a no.

If you don't have anything else you could try it with, I'd suggest the SANOXY repeater since it can change its WLAN MAC natively.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warning: The Sanoxy Repeaters I bought did not have the ability to do this, unless I am making a mistake!

Well... asdfjasldgkj
So much for a quick, cheap and easy route.
I've just been recommending them cause they're on the spreadsheet and I saw on reddit what they claim to be able to do. I'm gonna go edit my posts now..

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... asdfjasldgkj
So much for a quick, cheap and easy route.
I've just been recommending them cause they're on the spreadsheet and I saw on reddit what they claim to be able to do. I'm gonna go edit my posts now..
Well I'm thinking you may need to Telnet into it. I haven't been able to yet though. Hopefully the guy who said it works will answer soon

Sorry I feel horrible because I'm the one who's keeping up with the reddit stuff *sigh*

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to use my old WRT54GL just for the sake of Streetpass relay? I already have a new router attached to my modem and PC, was hoping to use the old router.
I'm currently using a rooted Android but it's tedious to keep changing my Mac address and my battery drains really fast.

Sorry if this has been asked before, tried Google'ing but no results.

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
justln you didn't google enough

Chipset BCM5352
RAM 16 MB

FLASH 4 MB

Supported

Sorry but that doesn't answer my question, I already installed DD-WRT on it, was wondering if I can somehow fit the WRT54GL into the trinity of modem, router and PC. If it's possible, then how would I go about doing it.

Anyway, I got my answer from the other streetpass relay thread, will try the instructions there.

Somebunny

Somebunny is lurking in the shadows...
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well folks, this summer's vacation is over (for me) and I'm back to my Real Life job, which means I am away from my main computer for the best part of the week (plus, no private internet connection in the apartment at my work place). I would have mentioned this earlier, but Real Life can easily get in one's way, especially when a hard drive decides to die with a bang.

Anyway, let me just say one thing. Wow. When I first posted my discovery, I had not expected this amount of reactions. Just one week, and my initial idea has spread to smartphones, routers, and more. Let me just give everybody a big THANK YOU, this community rocks.

This weekend I should have enough time to catch up with the thread, and I have some more ideas on how to improve my script so that less editing is required to get it working on a "fresh" computer, and also that adding more MACs requires less work. And I'll see if one of the old routers in my network box is willing to work with the firmware hack.

Oh, and by the way, anybody going to the Gamescom next Saturday? I will be there :)

Aeit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list
1. Download 3.3 beta 2. (although 3.4 experimental should work).
2. Change SSID to attwifi
3. Enable Mac Address Spoof
4. Change MAC to whatever you need.
5. Wait for a minute. You should connect automatically shortly, and then a streetpass should follow.

That app is the most simple method of doing this on a rooted Android device for me so far because it has the spoofing mechanism in the tether application. I am currently looking for another tether application that would allow for spaces in SSID and use of the MAC Address Ghost app, which allows for profiles of MAC Addresses.

The most data I've used is 100 kbs down and 500 kbs up with a hit. But YMMV, watch the meter.

This method isnt working for me ... i have Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and did everything correctly ...
Also i have note that WiFi Tether start up with errors ... in show log Setting ad-hoc mode failed ...

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This method isnt working for me ... i have Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and did everything correctly ...
Also i have note that WiFi Tether start up with errors ... in show log Setting ad-hoc mode failed ...

That's a VERY basic guide. If you don't have success you should mess with the settings in the app and see if you can get it to work somehow.
For example:
  1. Open app settings
  2. change device profile
  3. try starting tethering
  4. if no luck, go back to 2.
  5. When device profile options are exhausted, go back through them with the next setup-method
  6. Optional: mess with the wifi-driver reloading options as they can mess with your success as well.
If it still doesn't work, you and I are in the same boat... aka, no android option.
However once I try setting this up on my RasPi (as soon as I'm done eating) I'll try applying the method to my phone somewhat and see if it'll work.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
I just got my new WiFi adapter and it lets me change the MAC under Linux. I have this working on a RaspberryPi now, and I wrote a script that will randomly read a MAC out of a list of MAC addresses and apply it. I have it setup to run every three minutes via cron.

The network adapter I'm using is a TP-Link TL-WN7200ND

I started with the NOOB image for the RaspberryPi, and choose RaspBian, which is a Debian based RaspberryPi distro.

After installation I logged in and ran the following commands to update everything to the latest versions.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

After updating I followed this guide to setup the networking piece: http://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point/install-software

One issue I ran into with the guide was running the commands to start the two services at the bottom of the guide. I found out you need to wait a few seconds for hostapd to start networking before you can start the dhcpd service.

sudo service hostapd start
sudo service isc-dhcp-server start

After running through the guide I was able to get my 3DS working. I then ran the following command to start a new script:

nano /home/pi/chgmac.sh

I then wrote this script which you should paste in: http://pastebin.com/AX8KfCGD

After saving the file run the following command to make the script executable: chmod +x /home/pi/chgmac.sh

I then populated a list of MAC address in the new file created by this command: nano /home/pi/maclist.txt

Populate the file with whatever MACs (one per line) you'd like to randomly cycle through. I personally used 4E:53:50:4F:4F:00 - 4E:53:50:4F:4F:99 but you could easily add any other MACs. The script checks how many entries are in the file and then randomly picks on.

I scheduled the script to run every three minutes using cron by running the following command: crontab -e

I put this at the bottom of the file: */3 * * * * /home/pi/chgmac.sh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-