KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
A fast paced, beautifully made movie that serves as a wholly satisfying conclusion to the worldwide phenomena that is Harry Potter. Director David Yates pulls out all the stops here, making the movie extremely action-packed while not skimping out on the details. The movie's cast is as brilliant as ever, with standout performances by Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) and Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort). Other than the rushed ending, this movie is an incredible feat, showing that they truly have saved the best (well, 2nd best) for last.

My Rating: 3.5/4
Rotten Tomatoes: 97%
Metacritic: 87 (Universal Acclaim)

Running Time: 130 min., Rated PG-13

The movie definitely deserves some long awaited Oscars nominations, particularly for Visual Effects (which it should definitely win), Editing, Art Direction, Costume, Original Score, Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor for Alan Rickman, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Sound Mixing. Methinks that the Awards Circuit won't miss the chance to honor the end of a worldwide phenomena.

Do discuss.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got back from the theaters, i'm so incredibly glad i saw it there and didn't download it or anything. I enjoyed it immensely. So did my mother. I'm a huge fan of the books, having read all of them multiple times. You could saw i'm a purist, and my mother hasn't read any of them (though she's followed the films). Didn't know what to expect but was rather blown away. Only part i didn't like was the 19 years later part at the end (which i also didn't like in the book). Seemed a bit cheesy. To my surprise though, the film version of that scene was done a little better (though the aging makeup didn't look good imo).

Alan Rickman was fantastic. He's always been an amazing Snape, but he absolutely ran away with the movie here. The Prince's Tale was the highlight of the movie. I really don't have much to complain about. Did good justice to the book imo. I also heavily enjoyed the lengthening of the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. Dan's performance as Harry was moving as well, he has really gotten great at acting IMO.

Also SPOILER ALERT!!!
There is one scene in the movie that totally makes more sense and feels far better done than in the book to me- when Harry beats Voldemort in the movie, he snaps the Elder wand in half and tosses it away, thereby breaking its power forever. In the book, he just puts it back with Dumbledore's body and lives in hopes that he's never disarmed so that the spell of the wand will die with him naturally. We know that Harry becomes an auror and fights dark wizards for a living. That's a pretty volatile job to have with such a powerful wand hinging on the hope that Harry is never attacked and disarmed. Granted, Harry is powerful and all, probably on par or better than most aurors and order members. But his power doesn't come up to par with the likes of Voldemort or Dumbledore. Plus, anyone can potentially be caught off guard and disarmed. Whenever that happens, the Elder Wand will change masters. To destroy the wand utterly and make it impossible to be used again made far more sense. Of all the changes made from the books to the films, this is one that i heavily applaud the film makers for doing. Just letting exist in hopes Harry is never disarmed before he dies (which could be hundreds of years, as wizards can live far longer than muggles ever could) is a rather stupid. Especially when you're fighting evil dark wizards for a living and living hundreds of years (likely with some dangerous enemies who would love to see you dead).

One of the best in the series. I've only hated one of the films (Goblet of Fire), but have mixed feelings about some the others (i've loved a few too though). This one really got me sort of choked up though. Well worth the ticket and actually lived up to the hype and high ratings i've seen. I doubt it will be nominated for many Oscars besides technical awards, but i think some actors deserve it (specifically Alan Rickman). It's possibly the best in the series.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen all the movies except this one because I kinda don't like watching 1/2 of a movie.

Now that it's all the way done, I'll have to watch it all the way through, I think that's around maybe 5 hours, give or take more.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this last night at midnight at the drive-ins. It was pretty good despite the constant honking and screaming at exciting moments, and im using the word exciting loosely.(eg ads before previews start, when the previews started, when the movie started, when we see the main characters, when ron and hermione kiss, when the movie ends).

The funniest time was when an isolated group of girls screamed at the twilight preview, which immediately set off jeers and boos and one girl responding with "TWILIGHT SUCKS!"

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tumblr_lod7xh32rK1qcv6dfo1_500.gif

On a scale of 1 to Lord Voldemort, how awkward are YOUR hugs?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the HP movie I've been waiting years for, after being disappointed with the last few films (especially the terrible sixth one) - it was great all around. I particularly liked how the final duel was set up and how snape was handled. Awesome stuff.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
saw it a few hours ago, and it was a great end to a magnificent series of films, love or hate 'em each film had its charm, yes it didn't get everything right from the book but films are not books, and only so much be shown in two hours. Overall a great film in its own right and a pleasing ending to a world wide phenomenon.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
saw it a few hours ago, and it was a great end to a magnificent series of films, love or hate 'em each film had its charm, yes it didn't get everything right from the book but films are not books, and only so much be shown in two hours. Overall a great film in its own right and a pleasing ending to a world wide phenomenon.
But this one was a 2 parter. seriously, they could have done that with all of them and no one would have cared.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
DigitalDeviant said:
But this one was a 2 parter. seriously, they could have done that with all of them and no one would have cared.
Hindsight's 20/20...
They could just do what was done with LOTR maybe? If they have enough good leftover footage.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pubert09 said:
machomuu said:
DigitalDeviant said:
Hindsight's 20/20...
They could just do what was done with LOTR maybe? If they have enough good leftover footage.

um no what done is done, but you made a good point I'm sure they could have made the later films 4 or 5 hours a piece but they were literally shooting for MASS appeal, that being said this series was a joy to watch through the years.

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I might accidentally spoil something, so i put my response in a spoiler
happy.gif

I found it entertaining, yes, but... some parts just disappoints me...
Like how Voldemort dies. He gets dies and, everybody doesn't seem to care that he did.
I expected his death to be more... "epic."
There are also these anti-climaxes, which i am too lazy to mention.... I
blame the director, I always hated David >:]

But whatever, the movie satisfied me (6.5/10 ?)
smile.gif
. But the books will always be on top.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y