Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by KingdomBlade, Jul 15, 2011.

Jul 15, 2011
  1. KingdomBlade
    OP

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    A fast paced, beautifully made movie that serves as a wholly satisfying conclusion to the worldwide phenomena that is Harry Potter. Director David Yates pulls out all the stops here, making the movie extremely action-packed while not skimping out on the details. The movie's cast is as brilliant as ever, with standout performances by Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) and Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort). Other than the rushed ending, this movie is an incredible feat, showing that they truly have saved the best (well, 2nd best) for last.

My Rating: 3.5/4
    Rotten Tomatoes: 97%
    Metacritic: 87 (Universal Acclaim)

Running Time: 130 min., Rated PG-13

The movie definitely deserves some long awaited Oscars nominations, particularly for Visual Effects (which it should definitely win), Editing, Art Direction, Costume, Original Score, Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor for Alan Rickman, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Sound Mixing. Methinks that the Awards Circuit won't miss the chance to honor the end of a worldwide phenomena.

Do discuss.

2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Just got back from the theaters, i'm so incredibly glad i saw it there and didn't download it or anything. I enjoyed it immensely. So did my mother. I'm a huge fan of the books, having read all of them multiple times. You could saw i'm a purist, and my mother hasn't read any of them (though she's followed the films). Didn't know what to expect but was rather blown away. Only part i didn't like was the 19 years later part at the end (which i also didn't like in the book). Seemed a bit cheesy. To my surprise though, the film version of that scene was done a little better (though the aging makeup didn't look good imo).

Alan Rickman was fantastic. He's always been an amazing Snape, but he absolutely ran away with the movie here. The Prince's Tale was the highlight of the movie. I really don't have much to complain about. Did good justice to the book imo. I also heavily enjoyed the lengthening of the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. Dan's performance as Harry was moving as well, he has really gotten great at acting IMO.

Also SPOILER ALERT!!!
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

One of the best in the series. I've only hated one of the films (Goblet of Fire), but have mixed feelings about some the others (i've loved a few too though). This one really got me sort of choked up though. Well worth the ticket and actually lived up to the hype and high ratings i've seen. I doubt it will be nominated for many Oscars besides technical awards, but i think some actors deserve it (specifically Alan Rickman). It's possibly the best in the series.

3. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    *Looks at title*
    I see what you did there

4. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    i haven't had a free day to go see it yet ;-;

5. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I've seen all the movies except this one because I kinda don't like watching 1/2 of a movie.

Now that it's all the way done, I'll have to watch it all the way through, I think that's around maybe 5 hours, give or take more.

6. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    I saw this last night at midnight at the drive-ins. It was pretty good despite the constant honking and screaming at exciting moments, and im using the word exciting loosely.(eg ads before previews start, when the previews started, when the movie started, when we see the main characters, when ron and hermione kiss, when the movie ends).

The funniest time was when an isolated group of girls screamed at the twilight preview, which immediately set off jeers and boos and one girl responding with "TWILIGHT SUCKS!"

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I just saw it today and honestly have to say, that's how you make an ending.

8. machomuu

United States
    Glowey, as much as I don't care, cut the spoilers out of that post.

9. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    [​IMG]

On a scale of 1 to Lord Voldemort, how awkward are YOUR hugs?

10. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    This is the HP movie I've been waiting years for, after being disappointed with the last few films (especially the terrible sixth one) - it was great all around. I particularly liked how the final duel was set up and how snape was handled. Awesome stuff.

11. machomuu

United States
    I don't know why, but that made me laugh.

12. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    I think the turn out for the ending of twilight next year is going to be bigger.

13. machomuu

United States
    And I hope that guy Joostin saw is there when it happens.

14. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan

LOL agreed.

15. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I saw this and then remembered this.
    There, this is why they don't hug.

16. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    saw it a few hours ago, and it was a great end to a magnificent series of films, love or hate 'em each film had its charm, yes it didn't get everything right from the book but films are not books, and only so much be shown in two hours. Overall a great film in its own right and a pleasing ending to a world wide phenomenon.

17. machomuu

United States
    But this one was a 2 parter. seriously, they could have done that with all of them and no one would have cared.

18. pubert09

Member pubert09 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hindsight's 20/20...
    They could just do what was done with LOTR maybe? If they have enough good leftover footage.

19. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    um no what done is done, but you made a good point I'm sure they could have made the later films 4 or 5 hours a piece but they were literally shooting for MASS appeal, that being said this series was a joy to watch through the years.

20. EpicJungle

Member EpicJungle stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy

Canada
    I might accidentally spoil something, so i put my response in a spoiler [​IMG]
    Warning: Spoilers inside!