1. CarbonX13

CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Just watched it a few hours ago. I was quite impressed by everything. The plot doesn't really follow the same path as the book in the final battle(s), but it definitely gets the job done. I'd say the visuals and soundtrack were absolutely stunning to say the least. To describe the movie as one word though, it'd be none other than "epic".

I'd rate it about an 8.5/10.

2. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

The ending of the book for me was a bit rushed? No funerals for all dead, nothing about what will happend to world next, who is Hogwarts new principal? Did Hermione fix her parents' memory again? What happend with Ted Lupin? To me there was a lot of unanswered question. And the 19 years later in the movie was fail... when people saw Ronald everyone in the cinema started to laught.

3. pubert09

pubert09 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think everyone was just in shock and tired. I'd probably feel the same way if I did that stuff. Like a "I'm happy, but lack energy to really show it!" It also felt surreal to me and I was just watching it! I was like "What?....oh, yay!"

4. Deadmon

Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    It was great. Sad to see another one of my childhood series come to an end. (well, the film portion completes it entirely, and I don't think I'll be visiting Pottermore)

5. KingdomBlade

OP KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

1. The ending lacked detail because investing detail would not have made the send off nearly as smooth, as for it in the movie, I blame that on the writing staff.
    2. The new principal was McGonagall. Not placing that in spoilers since it isn't a detail in the movies.
    3. Lupin? It was in the movie.
    He died

Au contraire @granville, if Inception could get nominated, then this is even more likely.

6. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Ted lupin! the son of Nymphadora and Remus

7. KingdomBlade

OP KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Oh, sorry.

What happened wasn't that interesting anyways. He just grew up normally.

8. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    What? The crowd lacked energy to be be in shock...
    What?

9. Shinigami357

Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

What he meant was, they were emotionally drained. I haven't watched the movie yet [yea, poor me] but if I were in such a situation, I wouldn't be cheering that the bad guy's dead - I'd just check to see if my friends are all alive. That's how full-scale battles always go, IMHO.

10. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

i am going to wait for the blu ray boxset then i can watch them all the way through, it will be a long wait but it's worth it.

11. Redhorse

Redhorse Warehouse 13 Curator

United States
    yeah I saw it in the theatre last night and the ending was like a joke told wrong, the timing was off and few if any applauded when Vauldermaort ... well does what he does.... As much as I liked the movie series, the last one was as though they put a few scenes in mixed up order and just when you thought something would happen to end it, it started again... anti-climactic in several areas.. not so seem snooty but I expected better based on the previous movies... that's one problem with changing up directors all the time... a mix of interpretations... I'll still buy the who DVD set when released. Cut scenes ought to be good. bloopered and what not..

12. phantastic91

phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i saw the movie twice in the same day. both times, i was dissapointed by how they handled the war. Yates took out the battle scenes in half blood prince in order to go all out in this movie so i expected more. The fight scenes were cool but it just wasn't satisfying. My friend who came with me yesterday (who doesn't know anything about the book and easily likes previous movies) came out and was dissapointed since he wanted more fight scenes (specifically Mcgonagall.) i wanted her Mcgonagall to have more of the fighting scenes too. I think the movie was just tease after teases. The battle seems cool with all of these trolls, thousands of wizards/wolfs, and then thousands of dementors; but then the trolls were insignificant (they could have easily made a small scene with students from the dumbledore's army working together to take one down), most of the wizards/wolf people just stood there or just run around (like i said -a tease! it LOOKS like a big battle, but they aren't really doing much). Same with the dementors, thousands came at one moment so in your head you think "OMG!! this will be epic!!!! but then they all dissapear within a second by a certain person. it was cool but again it felt more like a tease. they could have made it cooler by having lots of people first do patrolus charms so that there's a lot of partrolus animals warding off the dementors (how cool would that be?) and then aberforth could do his spell after the dementor is shown to be too overpowering. also, ginny's mom and bellatrix scenes was short and somewhat lame i think.

the movie is still good. i liked how they handled snape's story.

now, im not saying that i watch harry potter all for action (that would be silly!). i enjoy the story and art syle too. but after the war build upon from previous movies and the hype of a big battle from all the trailers and stuff....it wasn't really epic. it had everything to be epic but it wasn't. though people would disagree with me ^.^

I can probably break down what i said and explain why the war went the way it did (like how the war isn't that great since the bridge was blown up (and so the wolves can't cross over now? lol) and voldemort ordered a retreat), but still i was unsatisfied. im sure there would are many others who are satisfied with how they handled it. afterall, this movie did get glowing reviews. Maybe the reason why i expected a bigger war/fight scenes is because i played the videogame beforehand? ^.^

13. pubert09

pubert09 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh, sorry I meant the characters in the film were probably really tired - physically and emotionally. That's probably why there wasn't much of a celebration in the film. I thought it also showed a kind of respect for those lost in a way.

Now as a spectator, I couldn't believe what had happened. I mean I knew of course but once it was there, I couldn't believe it. I was in shock and awe.

14. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I watched it.
    Loved it.
    I read the book so from the begging I knew who will die.
    Kinda strange feeling [​IMG]

15. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Not long finished watching my freshly stolen version, so here's my two cents...

- Voldemort's death scene was kinda anti-climactic IMHO. The way he just disintegrates in silence is kinda lame. It's one of the few scenes that would honestly benefit from a little cheesy 'power of love' dialogue. But that's just my opinion, I'm surely in the minority on that one.

- Lack of Ginny Weasley screen time makes me a sad panda. She's supposed to be a pillar of support for Harry and they totally cut most of her plot. They don't even reunite after the battle. WTF is that about? Sure, have the big moment with Hermione and Ron, but this is your future wife we're talking about, Harry. Didn't think to share a little moment with her? She cries out for you when she thinks you're dead and as far as I can tell you didn't even think to check up on her, you jerk.

- The whole film was too dark. I don't mean in tone. I expected it to be a very dark feel. I mean visually it's too dark. Half the time it's so dark that it's damn near black and white. Or maybe that's just my copy being dodgy. But either way it's too dark. It's all well and good trying to create atmosphere, but immersion dies when we're yanked back to reality saying 'WTF is going on? I can't see a bloody thing.'

Other than that, pretty enjoyable stuff. I just feel that the balance between plot and special effects wasn't quite right. Too many scenes with pointlessly over-the-top CGI. But then that's modern cinema. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but it could have been a touch better. I'd say about an 8/10. Maybe 8.5 if the black and white thing is just my file and not inherent to the actual movie.

16. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Watching Part 1 as we speak. I'm planning to go watch Part 2 next week, so better catch up. I've read all the books multiple times, so I consider myself quite a fanatic.

17. CarbonX13

CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I watched it in the theater and I thought it was very visually pleasing. It was never too dark. That's what you get from a cam version of a movie.

18. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I also watched it in the theatre, yesterday. I paid attention to the colours because I knew beforehand it was a very dark film. The colours were indeed very dark in some parts of the film, especially during the war scenes (that's like a 1 hour part). First hour was pretty normal.

I liked the film, the battle scenes were really made epic and I like it that way. Loved the 'You and what army' quote of Longbuttom, very funny.
    Sad to see it's all finished [​IMG]

19. CarbonX13

CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I loved the quote of McGonagall:
    Oooh, I always wanted to do that spell [on the soldiers]

20. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I don't know what people are talking about, I thought the film looked fine. It wasn't dark, and wasn't too bright either.

I liked everything about the movie so far, though some things I wish were explained better.

Draco turned out to be a major character after all, so then why didn't they give him any screen time? They should have spoke more about him.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Deathly, Hallows, Potter