Hardware Hardmodding a OLD 2ds, solder pad broken, fixable?

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, it's mr I suck at soldering here.
Jokes aside.
I wanna make a nand backup of my 2DS.
I soldered every point needed and it was looking good :).
Sadly one wire (the one from me CMD) got caged and then ripped the whole golden contact pad out.
Theres still something under it which looks like copper, but no matter how much flux and solder i put on it, the solder won't stick.
Sometime I get it to hold a bit, but the very sliiightest push rips it out again, which makes it impossible to attach the screen ribbons.
Is there a workaround?
Here are some pics, I don't need you to rate my solder skills.
Unbenannt-1.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello, it's mr I suck at soldering here.
Jokes aside.
I wanna make a nand backup of my 2DS.
I soldered every point needed and it was looking good :).
Sadly one wire (the one from me CMD) got caged and then ripped the whole golden contact pad out.
Theres still something under it which looks like copper, but no matter how much flux and solder i put on it, the solder won't stick.
Sometime I get it to hold a bit, but the very sliiightest push rips it out again, which makes it impossible to attach the screen ribbons.
Is there a workaround?
Here are some pics, I don't need you to rate my solder skills.View attachment 117303
You can make a NAND backup with A9LH/B9S or ntrboot.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solder into place best you can, then hotglue a dab on top once you're sure there's a connection. Or tape. I prefer hotglue since it's less likely to come off.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There's a smaller pad on the top left from it, you could risk damaging more the motherboard by trying to solder on it and then apply some hot glue so the cable won't move too much.

As I can see, you're applying too much solder, and that means you're applying too much heat too. Try reducing both. Also, reduce the length of the exposed wire you solder to avoid short circuits, and it would move less.

You should practice with a broken PCB.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: osaka35

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's a smaller pad on the top left from it, you could risk damaging more the motherboard by trying to solder on it and then apply some hot glue so the cable won't move too much.

As I can see, you're applying too much solder, and that means you're applying too much heat too. Try reducing both. Also, reduce the length of the exposed wire you solder to avoid short circuits, and it would move less.

You should practice with a broken PCB.
Oh okay. Where exaxtly?
The little golden circles with a hole

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh okay cool :)
Do you have some knowledge in this ?
Can you explain me why I can't solder to the area under it?
What material is it?

I can do microsoldering... LOOOOL!!! XD

No, seriously, I do electronics repair as a hobby and to earn some money. I repair smartphones, tablets, desktops, laptops, netbooks, game consoles (portables too), audio devices (not that much).

The material underneat the pads is... no, even better, visit this link, you won't stop reading or a while, believe me:

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay now I've read it through ^_^
I always wanted to understand how pcb's are done.
As far as i understand, these golden conact pads (which i've destroyed) are glued on that. The thing under it which doesnt accept my solder is just the copper...right? But i still dont understand why it doesnt work?
Do I have to remove the Oxidation or something?
Do I have to scrape it a bit?

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay now I've read it through ^_^
I always wanted to understand how pcb's are done.
As far as i understand, these golden conact pads (which i've destroyed) are glued on that. The thing under it which doesnt accept my solder is just the copper...right? But i still dont understand why it doesnt work?
Do I have to remove the Oxidation or something?
Do I have to scrape it a bit?
-IGNORE- Accidently double posted

Last edited by Der_Blockbuster,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah autism has different levels for different people
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I believe that even in the most severe cases of autism, the person is still incredibly intelligent.
    Even if they arent capable of demonstrating it to others
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Different symptoms affect people different
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @RedColoredStars What strain you smoking today? My buddy brought me some old school "Dumpster" today, skunky.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol peanut butter breath bud
    @BigOnYa The same headcracker. I'll smoke that til it's gone before i get more. Sometimes when I shop I get all one strain, sometimes I get a few different ones.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I live in Ohio and they just legalized it rec, but I can't buy it online til june, but stores around are starting to sell it. Pricey. Cheaper to get from my man than stores still.
    they just did here in MN too. last year, but there wont be any recreational dispensaries until 2025. I have a medical prescription so I use the medical dispensary
    +1
    Yup. Still cheaper for me to get it on the street too. But the guy that was selling me ounces for $150 moved and I dont know where to. lol
    Now it's back to practically double that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn $150 cheap, I'm paying 225-250
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I'd want to try drugs
    yeah. like i said. its been back to almost double that now. same prices as you pretty much.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Supposedly us in Ohio can grow 2 plants per person in our house, and anybody else that can't grow them self, 2 for them. But I'm not sure how they are gonna limit or watch that, like are they gonna go house to house.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No drugs are bad, mkay
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kansas shelved Marijuana again until next year
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Weed/Marijuana i would not consider as drugs personally. I'd have no problem if my kid came to me and said they smoked weed. Shit I'd ask what kind they got, and smoke with them. To me it's like smoking cigarettes. Actually I think Cigarettes are worse.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All like oh look at Missouri and Colorado they bring in Chinese terrorists
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 You didn't like Snow Day? I haven't got far into it, been busy, but yea didn't think it as good or as funny as last games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The graphics weren't bad but they were too focus on making it a beat em up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You play on Pc obv, was the camera an issue? It bugged me when trying to battle, had to turn camera to see who hitting me from behind.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not really the invisible walls were just annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you seen/tried that "Kingdom Come" game yet, looks kinda cool, almost like a modern Skyrim. It won 30+ awards I guess. Gonna pirate buy it and try.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only played about 30mins
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only played about 30mins