Hardest SNES games?

paulie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As title says: what games you played on the SNES do you think are the hardest to finish? I recently started playing SNES games again and thanks to save states on emulator I can sort of get the false satisfaction of finishing some of the harder games I used to play back in the days.
Comments/explanation of your choice(s) is encouraged!

For me:
The Smurfs
Even though this game is obviously targeted towards kids, the difficulty is insane: You don't get that many lives, nor can you obtain them easily. Additionally, this game works with passwords instead of saving, meaning you need to finish several levels in order to obtain a new password or finish the game. Then there is a level where you need to sled down from a snowy mountain where you need mad ninja reflexes in order to dodge obstacles and to avoid falling into lakes. The final boss is horrible, if you touch him you die and he will touch you around 5 seconds of the start of the battle unless you figured out what to do (which is actually difficult to time correctly as well and needs to be repeated several times in succession or else you will die)

Bubsy claws encounter of the furred kind
This game also works with passwords, but at least you get a new one every 3 levels (except for the final level, which should be finished after already completing 3 levels). Last month I found out that every level actually has its own password, you just are not given those during the game :glare:
Adding to Bubsy' difficulty is the 1 hit you die mechanic and there are many, many things you can die from. The bosses are fairly easy though.

Super mario bros the lost levels
With many levels that contain difficult jumps to perform this game gets quite difficult to finish. Especially one of the later levels where you have to jump big gaps using trampolines during a windstorm got me quite frustrated. On the plus side, this game lets you save every level.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Haha i remember the Smurfs for the SNES way back in the early 90s used to piss me off like crazy that game!

There is a lot of hard games but most of them suck so i will just say the good hard games:

Pilotwings (mostly not that hard until you reach the last few levels)

Ninja Gaiden triology (because ..duh)

Super Double Dragon (slow ass beat em up, hard as hell)

thats all i can think of right now

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember Addams Family being one of the launch period SNES games, and also being too easy, something Ocean themselves must've thought, as the sequel Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt is a right bastard.... Mr Nutz from them was also a tough un, but that's largely down to no battery backup or password system - much less of a handful using savestates on an emulator.
Super Turrican 1 & 2 provided a decent challenge too, as does Hagane.
EDIT: How could I forget Whirlo....!

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, Ninja Gaiden even though it's a port.

If you count JRPG's then Shin Megami Tensai's a pretty hardcore grind, but that's a port too.

If you can beat Judge Dredd or Jurassic Park 2 then you've got my respect though.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
I vote Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Go through it once and think you've finished it? Naaah! Back to the start you go and do it all over again to get the ending.

Good fucking choice, the arcade version was fucking bruuuuuuutal.

Thought we were aiming for SNES originals though.

Maybe Terminator 2? The controls were the biggest enemy for me at least.

Or any side scroller, they were all pretty unfair.

A hard game that's still fair... Adventure Island, still a kind of port, but a remake.

Swizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Eh. Super ghouls and ghosts has the biggest 'Fuck you!' factor with making you redo it, but it's not the hardest game to finish. I recon most experienced gamers around here should be able in a long weekend.

Edit:
To add to the discussion, I'd argue that the SG&G spinoff game, Demon's Crest, is harder.

paulie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess I will be playing super Ghouls and ghosts first!
Thanks for all the ideas, will keep them in mind.
I will probably play lion king and super double dragon as well, although I finished those in the past.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The unnofficial game "Picachu" (sic). It only has 4 levels but I've never managed to win.

The "Flinstones" game developed by Ocean. (There's another Flinstones game but never played it)
Yogi Bear is also very hard too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-