Hardest game you've ever played?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by TrolleyDave, Jun 30, 2009.

Jun 30, 2009
  1. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I've noticed that alot of modern games are actually pretty easy. There's an infinite amount of continues, there's no lives or they're basically just plain easy. It wasn't really like this on the 8-Bit/16-Bit machines. So what's some of the hardest games you remember playing? For me one of the hardest games I've ever played was Army Moves on the C64. It was just damned tough. I'll post some more when I can remember their titles, but Army Moves has always stuck with me because it was just so bastard difficult!

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Probably Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels, I had it in that Super Mario Allstars cart I got with my SNES, and it was so damn hard compared to the other mario games :/. (I haven't played that many pre-NES/SNES era games, either.)

I don't tend to think of difficulty whilst playing a game though, most of the time the difficulty curve for games is erratic, and most of the "hard" parts are fuck yous the devs have thrown in.

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    A lot of games are hard until you find a certain pattern then they become easy but Toy Story on the Super Nintendo is one that I can't win it at all. I'm serious, I can't ever get past level three.

Yeah modern games are really easy, when you go back to a old game you feel like you've lost your talent for playing games well. Doom on Nightmare setting is harder than all modern FPS games with exception to the Serious Same games.

4. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

The hardest game I've ever played would be Double Dragon 3 on the NES.
    You only get one life for the entire game, and the enemies keep gang raping you which drains the energy bar very fast.

5. psykobug

Newcomer psykobug Member

France
    maybe perfect dark in perfect agent mode , i never went over mission 9 . [​IMG]

6. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    I don't think I ever finished it on Perfect mode either.

7. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Hmm... I haven't lived as long as most tempers, and so I won't know much retro/oldies. My very first console was an XBOX, and my parents didn't really know anything about video games before (eg. N64). I actually can't think of the hardest game... Since all the games I play are modern games that everyone play x)

8. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    It doesn't really matter, if there's a game you think is rock solid then post it! I just use the retro stuff as an example. There aren't alot of games these days that have the old 3 lives/3 continues system. It's been a while since I've seen a Game Over screen! If you've got an example in an Xbox game then it's just as relevant as any other system.

9. yeahitschris

Member yeahitschris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    zelda/metroid games for me looool. i can never finish them only sometime. couldn't finish zelda: a link to the past for the GBA [​IMG]. got stuck near the end

10. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I don't think I've ever been able to finish Sonic The Hedgehog on my Sega Genesis. :

11. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I dunno, but I have had quite a bit of trouble with Resident Evil 4/5 on pro mode

12. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Contra 4 on normal mode. I refuse to play easy, so I have yet to get past stage 3 yet. But I figure its not impossible. Some day...

13. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Blaster Master for NES
    Die 9 times (3 continues, 3 lives each) and restart the whole game (it looks like much but its not).When your not in the tank your basically dead before you know. The bosses are incredibly hard after a while and its all one big maze. No password/continue system too. Never even made it to world 8 without save states [​IMG]

14. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Well if memory serves well, 40 winks for the PSone was hard. I remember playing that game when i was less than 10 years old ( thats as far back as my age lets me go really when it comes to games) and it was really hard, and damn long, games these days just dont have that combination of length and difficulty [​IMG] i also remember Rayman (the first Rayman that is) being hard as well.

I had a harder time playing through those games, than completing COD4 all missions under the Veteran difficulty....i now see what your complaining about TrollyDave [​IMG] , and it is true, games are WAYYY easier these days.

15. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Animal Crossing, I just couldn't find a way to be the final boss. And Tom Nook kept ripping me off every time I went to buy weapon upgrades.

16. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ghosts 'n Goblins for the NES. Fuck that game.

17. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Homiez Rollerz

18. Uzumakijl

Member Uzumakijl GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Altered Beast in Genesis console version, Just 2 credits for all the game [​IMG]

19. Cavedude

Member Cavedude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    omg dude totally. I gave up on the third level i think.

20. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Every incarnation of Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts etc ever. Even the PSP version is a nightmare. Fun, but tougher than me.

Super Mario Bros 2 (J) (I believe this is Lost Levels on the SNES release)

Contra NES (without Up,Up,Down,Down,Left,Right,Left,Right,B,A,Start)

Devil May Cry 3 (the original release, not the Greatest Hits Special Edition or whatever, with lowered difficulty)

NOT Ninja Gaiden (X-Box). This game was supposed to be tough as nails, but it really wasn't that bad.

Also, the newest game on my list: Mega Man 9. Easily the hardest of the whole series.