Hardest game you've ever played?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've noticed that alot of modern games are actually pretty easy. There's an infinite amount of continues, there's no lives or they're basically just plain easy. It wasn't really like this on the 8-Bit/16-Bit machines. So what's some of the hardest games you remember playing? For me one of the hardest games I've ever played was Army Moves on the C64. It was just damned tough. I'll post some more when I can remember their titles, but Army Moves has always stuck with me because it was just so bastard difficult!

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Probably Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels, I had it in that Super Mario Allstars cart I got with my SNES, and it was so damn hard compared to the other mario games :/. (I haven't played that many pre-NES/SNES era games, either.)

I don't tend to think of difficulty whilst playing a game though, most of the time the difficulty curve for games is erratic, and most of the "hard" parts are fuck yous the devs have thrown in.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of games are hard until you find a certain pattern then they become easy but Toy Story on the Super Nintendo is one that I can't win it at all. I'm serious, I can't ever get past level three.

Yeah modern games are really easy, when you go back to a old game you feel like you've lost your talent for playing games well. Doom on Nightmare setting is harder than all modern FPS games with exception to the Serious Same games.

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
The hardest game I've ever played would be Double Dragon 3 on the NES.
You only get one life for the entire game, and the enemies keep gang raping you which drains the energy bar very fast.

psykobug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe perfect dark in perfect agent mode , i never went over mission 9 .
wacko.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Law said:
Probably Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels, I had it in that Super Mario Allstars cart I got with my SNES, and it was so damn hard compared to the other mario games :/. (I haven't played that many pre-NES/SNES era games, either.)

I don't tend to think of difficulty whilst playing a game though, most of the time the difficulty curve for games is erratic, and most of the "hard" parts are fuck yous the devs have thrown in.

The Lost Levels was definitely tough, I still have never finished it. There's lots of games nowadays that have hard parts (oo-er) but like you said they're just thrown in there by developers. Alot of the old games were just hard overall. Army Moves only has 5 or 6 levels but it took me months to finish. It had 3 lives, no continues and rock hard gameplay! It was kind of an upgraded Moon Patrol in the way it played.

Hadrian said:
A lot of games are hard until you find a certain pattern then they become easy but Toy Story on the Super Nintendo is one that I can't win it at all. I'm serious, I can't ever get past level three.

Yeah modern games are really easy, when you go back to a old game you feel like you've lost your talent for playing games well. Doom on Nightmare setting is harder than all modern FPS games with exception to the Serious Same games.

I know exactly what you mean about Toy Story! Although you've got further than me in it, I don't think I ever made it past the second level. You're right about patterns, which is another thing that made Army Moves so tough, there were no actual patterns to it. Usually in the old horizontal shoot em ups you could just remember where and when the enemy was going to appear but with Army Moves it was random. The sequel to it Navy Moves was pretty tough as well but it had continues which made it a whole lot easier.

+1 on Doom on Nightmare level as well! There's no modern FPS that even comes close to that difficulty. The one thing that did make it a bit easier was when you died you started again from whatever level you were, where in Army Moves when your 3 lives were up you had to start from level 1 again. Bastards! The other thing was that there was no difficulty selection on Army Moves, it was permenantly set to fuck you! lol

B-Blue said:
The hardest game I've ever played would be Double Dragon 3 on the NES.
You only get one life for the entire game, and the enemies keep gang raping you which drains the energy bar very fast.

I never played it, I'll give it a go.

QUOTE(psykobug @ Jun 30 2009, 04:42 PM)
maybe perfect dark in perfect agent mode , i never went over mission 9 .
wacko.gif

I don't think I ever finished it on Perfect mode either.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm... I haven't lived as long as most tempers, and so I won't know much retro/oldies. My very first console was an XBOX, and my parents didn't really know anything about video games before (eg. N64). I actually can't think of the hardest game... Since all the games I play are modern games that everyone play x)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Splych said:
Hmm... I haven't lived as long as most tempers, and so I won't know much retro/oldies. My very first console was an XBOX, and my parents didn't really know anything about video games before (eg. N64). I actually can't think of the hardest game... Since all the games I play are modern games that everyone play x)

It doesn't really matter, if there's a game you think is rock solid then post it! I just use the retro stuff as an example. There aren't alot of games these days that have the old 3 lives/3 continues system. It's been a while since I've seen a Game Over screen! If you've got an example in an Xbox game then it's just as relevant as any other system.

yeahitschris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zelda/metroid games for me looool. i can never finish them only sometime. couldn't finish zelda: a link to the past for the GBA
frown.gif
. got stuck near the end

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Contra 4 on normal mode. I refuse to play easy, so I have yet to get past stage 3 yet. But I figure its not impossible. Some day...

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Blaster Master for NES
Die 9 times (3 continues, 3 lives each) and restart the whole game (it looks like much but its not).When your not in the tank your basically dead before you know. The bosses are incredibly hard after a while and its all one big maze. No password/continue system too. Never even made it to world 8 without save states
frown.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well if memory serves well, 40 winks for the PSone was hard. I remember playing that game when i was less than 10 years old ( thats as far back as my age lets me go really when it comes to games) and it was really hard, and damn long, games these days just dont have that combination of length and difficulty
sleep.gif
i also remember Rayman (the first Rayman that is) being hard as well.

I had a harder time playing through those games, than completing COD4 all missions under the Veteran difficulty....i now see what your complaining about TrollyDave
sleep.gif
, and it is true, games are WAYYY easier these days.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jaems said:
Ghosts 'n Goblins for the NES. Fuck that game.

Every incarnation of Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts etc ever. Even the PSP version is a nightmare. Fun, but tougher than me.

Super Mario Bros 2 (J) (I believe this is Lost Levels on the SNES release)

Contra NES (without Up,Up,Down,Down,Left,Right,Left,Right,B,A,Start)

Devil May Cry 3 (the original release, not the Greatest Hits Special Edition or whatever, with lowered difficulty)

NOT Ninja Gaiden (X-Box). This game was supposed to be tough as nails, but it really wasn't that bad.

Also, the newest game on my list: Mega Man 9. Easily the hardest of the whole series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: that would be crazy