Harddrive size

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Crackerboy, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Crackerboy
    OP

Crackerboy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2008
    United States
    What size hard drive have you guys been using on your wiiu to store all the gamez?

500/750/1tb/2tb ??

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    I remember someone reporting that their 3tb drive got formatted to 2tb. Not sure if they were lying or not as I wouldn't call them the most trustable member.
    If it is true then the wii u only uses 2tb and no more.

I myself use internal memory and a cheap 128 gb stick. (waiting for mocha fat32 support before I move to my 500gb)

Crackerboy and naddel81 like this.
  3. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    what does mocha fat32 gain you? I have already installed all the games on my 500 gb hdd using brazilian.

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    fat32 support allows for you to install games without formatting the drive so only the wii u can read it. Therefor I can have everything on one drive including wii u, wii, and gamecube games.

Crackerboy and naddel81 like this.
  5. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States

but wouldn't that require someone to decrypt the wii U file system first?

6. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    a simple no name external 2.5" enclosure with a western digital 320GB HDD

Crackerboy likes this.
  7. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    /shrug
    I don't really understand how it works myself but here is dimok's post on it.

naddel81 likes this.
  8. pOLLYpoCKET

pOLLYpoCKET Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2010
    United States
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Crackerboy likes this.
  9. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    would be nice to have it all in one drive, but regarding the Wii U VC emulator is way worse than the VC emulator on Wii, I'd rather have all my retro stuff on the Wii and only use the Wii U for Nintendont/gamecube.

Crackerboy likes this.
  10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Using a 500 GB Western Digital My Passport drive, had it since 2011, still works like a charm.

11. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    500 GB reporting in. Its not that big but there arent that many games the need storing lol

Crackerboy likes this.
  12. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I've heard anything bigger than 2TB isn't recognized as being larger than 2TB. Which honestly is fine with me. The only reason I'd want that much is if they found a way for all Wii U and vWii content to be able to be held on the same hard drive without issue. As such, my Wii U has 2 hard drive, both 1TB, One specifically for all my vWii content, one for all my Wii U content, and its all more than enough for everything I have and the many things I may add. Had the Wii U been a bigger success, 1TB might not have been enough to hold all the great Wii U games, but really unless I'm on some quest to have every single Wii U title on my hard drive regardless of quality, I just don't see how I could possibly fill it all.

Crackerboy likes this.
  13. DarkWork0

DarkWork0 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2011
    United States
    6tb HDD here, get on my level scrubs. Lol jk, I use a 16gb flash drive.

Crackerboy likes this.
  14. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    if you're a hoarder, i calculate you'll have about 780 gb free for your wiiu backups on a 2tb drive before you hit the 300 title limit. Storing all the wii/gc content on another 2tb drive, you'll run out of space but get around 90% of all unique titles stored (the rest u can just fit on a big sd)

Crackerboy likes this.
  15. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Ha, thanks for that info, I actually was genuinely curious. Thing is, my vWii external drive has a huge chunk of space taken up by Rock Band/Guitar Hero songs, then there's also a bunch of movies and tv shows in their for WiiMC as well. So the vWii hard drive for me has lots of space being used by not actual games.

Crackerboy likes this.
  16. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I have an old 300GB IDE drive in a CompUSA enclosure since about 2008-09. More than enough for the Wii/GC games. There is still a bunch of crap on it we never play. 1TB WD Black in a HD dock for the Wii U. For the hell of it I have put just about every disk based game on it except the girl themed games like monster high and Barbie. Still have tons of room. You never know when you might have guests with little kids, maybe I should have those as well. :)

Crackerboy and Inuk like this.
  17. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    i use 3tb seagate back up plus with external power plug to avoid using my y-cable purchased for testing nintendont back in the day...

... WiiU formatted 2tb and left the remainder un-usable ... however the 3tb was $15 cheaper than the 2tb for some reason so no big deal i guess

Crackerboy likes this.