Hardware Hall Effect sensor joycon sticks on Amazon

Miranda07

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
can you show what part you shaved to stop the clicks?
Unfortunately I didn't document my own repair, but I'll try my best.

UPDATE: While AKNES are supposedly revising the product - and other users in the thread are exploring less destructive solutions to the problem - I would advise taking a wait and see approach over rushing into following this procedure.

Firstly, I must stress that this is a destructive "fix" that carries a high risk of causing irreparable damage, and should only be attempted if you are prepared to lose the stick. As mentioned above, the metal casing does not come off easily - if it breaks, it could be impossible to reassemble. Altering the plastic also changes the feel of the stick, taking off too much could make it unpleasantly "wobbly".

Also please, nobody try this just because I suggested it made the stick quieter! There is no guarantee you will be able to completely eradicate the noise to your liking. AKNES seem willing to offer refunds over the issue, so try that first.

With that said, I would strongly advise that the first thing you do is go into the calibration screen and test where the click is occuring, and decide whether it's truly necessary. For example, my right joycon only clicks/blips as it approaches the outer ring - so although the sound is annoying, the impact on gameplay is negligible. However, the output of my left joycon was visibly jumping ahead before even reaching the halfway point, so for me, that was an unacceptable detriment to gameplay.

You should also make a note of the stick orientation before disassembly, it is important that you remember which direction is which on the stick once it is all in pieces - or you could end up misdiagnosing the issue.

Borrowing Spawn Wave's teardown picture (and the picture AngelofWoe posted earlier, to show the missing piece) the part you will need to alter depends on which direction your stick is clicking in.
stick4.PNG

You should be able to see this movement for yourself if you use the spring to hold everything in place and move the stick:
stick3.PNG

If you take out the affected arm, it looks something like this from the side:
stick2.PNG

(Remember, if your stick only clicks in one direction while fully assembled, your priority is to reduce the lift that occurs in that direction. To lower the risk of "over-shaving", it would be best to leave the edges affecting the other three directions completely untouched on your first attempt.)

You need to slightly taper off that top edge on the side that is catching when you push in the problem direction, just enough that you can see that it has stopped lifting when you test with the spring in place - no more than that. You will need to use your own judgement here, look closely at where your own stick is catching and be sure to thoroughly test the effect that even the smallest alteration you make is having. I cannot stress enough that the amount required is not even enough to be visible, and as I mentioned earlier taking off too much will change the feel of the stick.

Hope that helps, if anyone is determined enough to go through with it.

Attachments

• stick1.PNG
    stick1.PNG
    950.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited by Miranda07,

AngelofWoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Firstly, I must stress that this is a destructive "fix" that carries a high risk of causing irreparable damage, and should only be attempted if you are prepared to lose the stick. As mentioned above, the metal casing does not come off easily - if it breaks, it could be impossible to reassemble. Altering the plastic also changes the feel of the stick, taking off too much could make it unpleasantly "wobbly".

Also please, nobody try this just because I suggested it made the stick quieter! There is no guarantee you will be able to completely eradicate the noise to your liking. AKNES seem willing to offer refunds over the issue, so try that first.

With that said, I would strongly advise that the first thing you do is go into the calibration screen and test where the click is occuring, and decide whether it's truly necessary. For example, my right joycon only clicks/blips as it approaches the outer ring - so although the sound is annoying, the impact on gameplay is negligible. However, the output of my left joycon was visibly jumping ahead before even reaching the halfway point, so for me, that was an unacceptable detriment to gameplay.

Borrowing the picture AngelofWoe posted earlier, the piece you will need to alter depends on which direction your stick is clicking in.
View attachment 348755

You should be able to see this movement for yourself if you use the spring to hold everything in place and move the stick:
View attachment 348759

If you take out the affected arm, it looks something like this from the side:
View attachment 348756
(It's possible that for some people it will be the other edge that is catching, in which case the opposite end would be the one lifting up - Although I suspect in that case the magnet would not be affected enough to be worth doing any of this)

You need to slightly taper off that top edge on the side that is catching, only enough that you see it has stopped lifting and started sliding when you press the spring and move the stick. You will need to use your own judgement here, look closely at where your own stick is catching and even more closely at the effect your alterations are having. You really should not have to take off much, and as I mentioned earlier, taking off too much will change the feel of the stick.

Spawn Wave included a much clearer image of the internals on his upload this morning.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Do these Joycons have NFC capability, was thinking about ordering some since one of my Joycons is starting to drift. Couldn't find anything though about whether or not these have NFC in them or not though.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was initially thinking AoW was being a bit dramatic but I went back and carefully looked at mine in the calibration screen. It definitely catches and doesn’t move for a millisecond and then JUMPS to almost outside the circle the next millisecond. I can see where this would be impactful now. They need to fix this.
Post automatically merged:

Do these Joycons have NFC capability, was thinking about ordering some since one of my Joycons is starting to drift. Couldn't find anything though about whether or not these have NFC in them or not though.
These are just thumbstick replacements. You will reuse the entire rest of the joycon so if your joycon’s NFC was working before, they will continue to work as is.

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The NFC module has nothing to do with the joycon sticks.....there is a separate antenna module for that
antena-nfc-3-700x700.jpg

starlightbotanist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received 4 of these from the ANKES amazon store on 1/18 and they all have this issue. Binding slightly in one direction, accompanied by a click and a jump in stick position that is detectible in input tests and games.
I messaged back and forth with ANKES via amazon com. They gave me the email address of their manager. I sent him videos of the issue happening.

I am considering opening up one stick, but I may also just send them back for a refund and see if later batches have this issue fixed.

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
[...]
I tested this and found the information to be spot on.

To add to that, on the unit I took apart, some edges of the middle piece had burrs that were catching.
The areas that I shaved to attempt to solve that are highlighted in green below.

This mostly works but it is very easy to screw up and shave too much or destroy the stick during teardown/reassembly.

Attachments

• gulikit-shave-corners.png
    gulikit-shave-corners.png
    152 KB · Views: 110

AngelofWoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I don't understand how this could make it through quality control for a premium stick.
It's very possible that it didn't and we're experiencing the result of them attempting to recoup their losses on a project that just never met standards (although GuliKit has a poor record on reliability and manufacturing quality to begin with).

starlightbotanist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very possible that it didn't and we're experiencing the result of them attempting to recoup their losses on a project that just never met standards (although GuliKit has a poor record on reliability and manufacturing quality to begin with).
Good point, since they were sold under the ANKES store they could be rejects. You would think they would put a sticker over the gulikit logo or something though, or maybe they just don't care. :)

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Good point, since they were sold under the ANKES store they could be rejects. You would think they would put a sticker over the gulikit logo or something though, or maybe they just don't care. :)
I'm not sure, they're being sold for exactly the same price as GuliKit's own store, making me believe they might be distributing the product officially. It's possible it's just straight up a design flaw with the product as a whole.

Either way, it's unacceptable, whether it's a bad batch or all of them are bad. Replacing one problem (drift) with another isn't going to win people over.

starlightbotanist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: I received this reply from AKNES.
Screenshot 2023-01-24 102031.png

EDIT: I did accept the refund. I don't know if they are going to require me to mail the sticks back or not.
If they don't want me to mail them back, I will open them up and try the mod/fix talked about above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1