Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Being busy with USB Host on SNES Classic, it's been a while since I hadn't touched my NES Classic. Last time I used hakchi 2.17 and without compression. I decided to upgrade into 2.17f, compress all the games (I only installed NES, Famicom & FDS games), and change into retroarch 1.7. When I tried to start a game, it brought me back to selection screen.
Some questions:

1. I think I need to edit the command line, but I'm not sure what I should edit. Any suggestion?
2. If I can play the games now, will I be able to use the old save states (before compression)?
3. Has there been any hmod to use custom borders on NES Classic?
4. Can I use external retroarch (from @KMFDManic 's update) for a non-USB Host NES Classic?

Thanks, Guys.

ibmp200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been awhile since I used hakchi to add games to my Nintendo Classic, but I was using version 2.17c. I have recently considered adding two Famicom games, that I think were initially based off the Disk System. One game in fact requiring the disk to be flipped over to start playing the game. The ROM files even have the FDS extension and haven't been 'converted' to the NES extension. The two games are Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic, and Super Mario Bros. 2. The latter being the one that was the remake of Super Mario Bros. with increased difficulty. Both games were never officially released in America. This Super Mario Bros. 2 is not the 'lost levels' that was (re)made for the Super Nintendo. I mean the game that was made for release in Japan only and on the Disk System. The prior, was the one that required disk flipping.

But anyway, the question here is when I add these with hakchi to flash my Nintendo Entertainment System Classic (not Super Nintendo), will the console be able to load and play these games just fine and without any additions like Retroarch? I have seen youtube videos of people who had tried playing Famicom games with the Classic, and were able to load and play them just fine.

I want to add/synchronize these games to my Classic Nintendo, and be able to play them without having to add things. Then, does it matter if I use version 2.17c, or do I need to download and use the latest Windows version?

Thank you.

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It's been awhile since I used hakchi to add games to my Nintendo Classic, but I was using version 2.17c. I have recently considered adding two Famicom games, that I think were initially based off the Disk System. One game in fact requiring the disk to be flipped over to start playing the game. The ROM files even have the FDS extension and haven't been 'converted' to the NES extension. The two games are Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic, and Super Mario Bros. 2. The latter being the one that was the remake of Super Mario Bros. with increased difficulty. Both games were never officially released in America. This Super Mario Bros. 2 is not the 'lost levels' that was (re)made for the Super Nintendo. I mean the game that was made for release in Japan only and on the Disk System. The prior, was the one that required disk flipping.

But anyway, the question here is when I add these with hakchi to flash my Nintendo Entertainment System Classic (not Super Nintendo), will the console be able to load and play these games just fine and without any additions like Retroarch? I have seen youtube videos of people who had tried playing Famicom games with the Classic, and were able to load and play them just fine.

I want to add/synchronize these games to my Classic Nintendo, and be able to play them without having to add things. Then, does it matter if I use version 2.17c, or do I need to download and use the latest Windows version?

Thank you.

I've been using 2.17 on my NES (just changed into 2.21 this morning) and have been playing for some FDS games like Kamen Rider Black, Doki Doki Panic, Armana no Kiseki and VS. ExciteBike and still using Retroarch 1.0 without any problem. For disc flipping, all you need to do is to assign the button on Retroarch > Quick Menu > Control. If you only have NES controller, assign that function to a button which you don't really need or temporarily disabled, save it, continue playing until you've passed the disc-flip screen, then return the button function to its previous state.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KMFDManic your last Retroarch and Snes9x doesnt work for me, it gives black screen and sends me back to the games menu. Is there any chance of download your older releases??

@KMFDManic your last Retroarch and Snes9x doesnt work for me, it gives black screen and sends me back to the games menu. Is there any chance of download your older releases??
Being busy with USB Host on SNES Classic, it's been a while since I hadn't touched my NES Classic. Last time I used hakchi 2.17 and without compression. I decided to upgrade into 2.17f, compress all the games (I only installed NES, Famicom & FDS games), and change into retroarch 1.7. When I tried to start a game, it brought me back to selection screen.
Some questions:

1. I think I need to edit the command line, but I'm not sure what I should edit. Any suggestion?
2. If I can play the games now, will I be able to use the old save states (before compression)?
4. Can I use external retroarch (from @KMFDManic 's update) for a non-USB Host NES Classic?

Thanks, Guys.

Need to know an example of current command lines you are attempting to use and what you are trying to run.

Save states are tied to "FOLDERS" they were originally in, so as long as you synch those same folders, the saves should show up.

The Custom Borders HMODs in my Core Set, also work on NESC. In fact, Almost every HMOD does, with exception of very very few.

No, as external RetroArch is solely for flash drives/hard drives, hence, the name external. This is also why it is specifically in USB-HOST folder:)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Which RetroArch did you install, and which SNES Hmod, and a command line for a game you are trying to run? You on USB-HOST, or non-USB-HOST? And, did you Uninstall ALL previous RetroArch and SNES Hmods?

Thank you.

Scroll up to my last Post, and use my Core Set.

Reactions: maande80

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello! Enjoying this!
Just managed to get some games to run from USB, but my original 21 have disappeared, is there a way to get those back? (maybe on a seperate menu as before?)
Also, where should I start to understand how to use the various/updated cores? I am guessing the SNES Classic - USB-HOST For Dummies video is where to start? I am pretty savvy with this stuff just dont want to start with out of date tutorials. Thanks!!

ibmp200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using 2.17 on my NES (just changed into 2.21 this morning) and have been playing for some FDS games like Kamen Rider Black, Doki Doki Panic, Armana no Kiseki and VS. ExciteBike and still using Retroarch 1.0 without any problem. For disc flipping, all you need to do is to assign the button on Retroarch > Quick Menu > Control. If you only have NES controller, assign that function to a button which you don't really need or temporarily disabled, save it, continue playing until you've passed the disc-flip screen, then return the button function to its previous state.

So maande80, are you saying here that i would need to use retroarch to get the two games i wrote about to work. i am not currently using it and would like to keep things that way. do i really need retroarch for doki doki panic and super mario bros 2 (japan only)?

SupaSAIAN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@KMFDManic I dont use USB-HOST and I only install the "_km_retroarch_170_1_23_18", "_km_snes9x_1_22_18", "canoe_save_compress" and "extra_space" modules; yes I always uninstall all old modules before installing the new ones.
Code:
/bin/snes /usr/share/games/CLV-U-PTFXF/Street_Fighter_Alpha_2_(U)_[!].sfrom.7z

/bin/clover-canoe-shvc-wr -rom /usr/share/games/CLV-U-RYPTQ/Tengai_Makyou_Zero_(J)_[!].sfrom.7z --volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600 --retroarch
Your previous released modules works fine for me but I deleted them by mistake, can you please send me to reinstall them until you solve the problem??

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ATTENTION:) In order to use the NEW RetroArchs in my Core Set from 1-24-18, you will need to take the included remote-exec file and OVERWRITE the current one in your hakchi2 directory. 1. Control+F 2. Search for remote exec 3. Open Containing Directory 4. Let included one overwrite it **Then, for anyone with issues running NES/SNES should be back in action! And, of course, Special Characters will work for USB-HOST! Directory the remote-exec is in.. hakchi2/mods/mod_hakchi/hakchi/rootfs/bin Personal thanks to Madmonkey for helping fix this:) Sincerely, KMFDManic... Sorry for any inconvenience. https://ufile.io/dhacs

Last edited by KMFDManic,
Reactions: titaniuml

Ryu-SSF2T

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I have a question, if I get hakchi running through an USB,
and I add for example Sega games on the USB, NES, GBA and so on...
and the SNES Games on the snes classic mini itself...

- is there a way to configure it so that all of the save games are saved on the USB, and not on the Snes mini classic?

g.maverick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a question, if I get hakchi running through an USB,
and I add for example Sega games on the USB, NES, GBA and so on...
and the SNES Games on the snes classic mini itself...

- is there a way to configure it so that all of the save games are saved on the USB, and not on the Snes mini classic?
Just create a "save" folder inside the "hakchi" directory of your USB drive:

"\hakchi\saves"

Last edited by g.maverick,

Ryu-SSF2T

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark

"\hakchi\save"
-----------------------
Ok, but perhaps I should also consider moving the snes games to the USB?
Then everything will run from there and be saves there right?

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Enjoying this!
Just managed to get some games to run from USB, but my original 21 have disappeared, is there a way to get those back? (maybe on a seperate menu as before?)
Also, where should I start to understand how to use the various/updated cores? I am guessing the SNES Classic - USB-HOST For Dummies video is where to start? I am pretty savvy with this stuff just dont want to start with out of date tutorials. Thanks!!
I've done a bunch of easy to follow tutorials if you're interested. The links are in my sig.

Are all save files (Save states and in game saves) placed on the usb drive when using the usb host?

"\hakchi\save"
-----------------------
You would have to move your games to the USB drive to play them using the USB method.

Reactions: LuigiXL

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
I've done a bunch of easy to follow tutorials if you're interested. The links are in my sig.

Thanks so much, I am really struggling to understand why nothing seems to work now..

I couldn't get any games to run from USB (they appeared with boxart but upon pressing A/B a black screen back to menu for non SNES, and C7 error for SNES) so I tried to start the process over again. The next time I just got SHUTTING DOWN everytime i tried DUFRM steps using the hakchiGui (tried a number of times).

So now I've gone back to Hakchi2 original interface and all I can seem to do is Flash original kernel.

Uninstall gives me Cant write to USB error, but upon Flash original kernel it appears working and the original 21 games (and their Restore Points) load perfectly.

Maybe I am missing something but I have:

128GB Sandisk USB /FAT32 that shows the boxart (thus i presume means works with it, as others i have tried show nothing/dont work)
I am presuming I no longer need to do the "special characters" fixing with Notepad++ etc as this was fixed?
Also I have used the hotfix from the latest release from KMFDManic earlier.

Any pointers much appreciated, who knew e3 Flasher seemed easier than this!

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much, I am really struggling to understand why nothing seems to work now..

I couldn't get any games to run from USB (they appeared with boxart but upon pressing A/B a black screen back to menu for non SNES, and C7 error for SNES) so I tried to start the process over again. The next time I just got SHUTTING DOWN everytime i tried DUFRM steps using the hakchiGui (tried a number of times).

So now I've gone back to Hakchi2 original interface and all I can seem to do is Flash original kernel.

Uninstall gives me Cant write to USB error, but upon Flash original kernel it appears working and the original 21 games (and their Restore Points) load perfectly.

128GB Sandisk USB /FAT32 that shows the boxart (thus i presume means works with it, as others i have tried show nothing/dont work)
I am presuming I no longer need to do the "special characters" fixing with Notepad++ etc as this was fixed?

The USB method still hasn't been perfected. I'm hoping that Cluster will take a look at it and implement it into his version of hakchi. The C7 error is usually a wrong filepath or bad rom if I remember correctly. Just double check your command lines. Also did the games run before using the special characters mod? Are the games zipped? If so did you install the 7z mod?

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"\hakchi\save"
-----------------------

hakchi/saves

Most of the time it is simple User-End error as the culprit for USB-HOST not working. The rest of the time, it is improper hardware configuration, be it the flash drive and/or OTG Device. But, if you private message me the exact steps you used, I can direct you at an alternate way to try it, and help you succeed. For the most part, the only ones who couldn't succeed are ones with bad hardware:) USB-HOST is incredibly workable, just so long as you have good hardware to do it with and a basic understanding of the Nuances. But, I am here to help:)

1alien1

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hej, one question. i installed everything and it works fine. my question is, i have two snes mini, can i just upload the same custom kernel with the selected games to both without any problems or is it somehow bound to one console?

also, i read something about retroarch savestate not working via the official savestates, but so far it works for me. are there any downsides on using retroarch for the problematic games?

thank you very much!

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hej, one question. i installed everything and it works fine. my question is, i have two snes mini, can i just upload the same custom kernel with the selected games to both without any problems or is it somehow bound to one console?

also, i read something about retroarch savestate not working via the official savestates, but so far it works for me. are there any downsides on using retroarch for the problematic games?

thank you very much!
You can use two different SNES Classics with the same hakchi. Just gotta flash the kernal and sync the games. As for the saves, I haven't personally had any problems except with N64 games and Arcade games in terms of using the retroarch states.

Reactions: 1alien1

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So maande80, are you saying here that i would need to use retroarch to get the two games i wrote about to work. i am not currently using it and would like to keep things that way. do i really need retroarch for doki doki panic and super mario bros 2 (japan only)?

Yes. You need Retroarch and Use Nestopia. You can flip disc sides with Retroarch config and Nestopia is required to play FDS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1